I got a new (to me) MacBook Pro, and 1Password won't work for me now

dtellam
dtellam
Community Member

Many years ago, I purchased 1Password. I recently got a new computer. I installed 1Password, and all of my data is visible to me. HOWEVER, all of my data has a "Read-Only" icon next to it, so I can' make any changes. Additionally, the Chrome Extension has quit doing Auto-FIll for me. When I click the extension icon, then click the new 'Fill' icon, an advertisement-like window displays, telling me to purchase a subscription. I already paid for the app, and would never have signed up for a subscription. I can just use Keychain for free if that is the case.

What am I doing wrong? I saw other posts suggesting deleting the app, then going to the website and downloading from there. That didn't work... I am still getting the window telling me to purchase a subscription (see below).

I have spent well over an hour on this now, and cannot figure it out. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You don't have a subscription (you purchased many years ago), and for stand-alone licences, 1PW7 is a new purchase. That's why you are having these issues.

Your previous purchase should cover up to 1PW6. This can be downloaded towards the bottom of the AgileBits download page. Or, if your original purchase was through the App Store, you should be able to find it in the purchases tab of your account.

While 1PW6 is still usable in the short term, I would not recommend it for long-term use, as it is not being developed further and may become obsolete fairly soon. In particular, changes by Apple are likely to make it unusable in Safari very shortly, as you are on Mojave.

I do consider subscriptions good value compared with the stand-alone licence. You should at least investigate the sub, see https://support.1password.com/why-membership/ for more info. Still, it's your choice, you can buy a licence if you wish.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dtellam! I'm sorry for the confusion. Like all software, 1Password requires a new purchase for new full-version upgrades. You've installed the latest version (7.2.4), which - if you were previously using an older version of 1Password on an older Mac - will be a new purchase for you. Without either a 1password.com membership (subscription) OR the purchase of a new standalone license, 1Password 7 will be in Read Only mode -- as you've noticed. That means you will not be able to add to, edit or delete any of your data (though you can export it, if you like), and the browser extensions will be disabled until you add a 1password.com account or a license.

As @danco mentions, if you have a license for version 4, 5 or 6, you can download the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac (6.8.9, available from our downloads page), and use that license to run it. Licenses for 1Password never expire, and we gave free upgrades to both version 5 and version 6.

However, especially if you are a Safari user, we can't recommend installing 1Password 6 for Mac in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) as any kind of long-term strategy, as version 6 is now retired to legacy status and will not be receiving further development attention, meaning incompatibilities will only increase over time.

This discussion has been closed.