Why Do We Need to Use 1Password.com Web system?

Options
tko7771Pass
tko7771Pass
Community Member

I am very confused about 1Password.com. Those questions may be so basic, but I would like to know.
(1) Why do we need to use 1Password.com web system? I am only using 1password version 7 for one computer Mac Pro (just as version6).
(2) I thought all my data are kept at local level (my computer), but 1Password.com data are kept at the “cloud” server some place?
(3) Why two factor Authentications is only for 1Password.com use and not for the desktop 1password version 7?
(4) Can I have the two-factor authenticator app for both iPhone and iPad in case the iPhone get lost? Would you show how to install 2FA for both iPhone and iPad?
Sorry for those question are so basic......
Thank you!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tko7771Pass - no worries, we're here to answer questions. :)

Why do we need to use 1Password.com web system?

You don't. Even if you have a 1password.com account, you never need to use it via the browser interface, if you don't wish to. You can add your 1password.com account directly into a native 1Password app for Mac, Windows, iOS or Android and use 1Password essentially as you always have.

I thought all my data are kept at local level (my computer), but 1Password.com data are kept at the “cloud” server some place?

You didn't give us any information about your own setup other than saying you've used version 6 in the past, but if you've ever used iCloud or Dropbox as your sync method, then you've already been using "the cloud" -- just a different cloud. With 1password.com accounts, your data is kept "in the cloud" (on the 1password.com servers) in order for you to be able to use it on multiple devices (sync), and you also have a local cache of the data on your own device.

Why two factor Authentications is only for 1Password.com use and not for the desktop 1password version 7? Because when you're using standalone 1Password, you're interacting directly with the data on your own device. That means you're using 1Password's primary security - encryption - rather than authentication. This may help explain the difference more fully for you. In short, you don't need two-factor authentication in standalone 1Password because you aren't authenticating to a server, you're using your Master Password to en/decrypt your data directly.
    Can I have the two-factor authenticator app for both iPhone and iPad in case the iPhone get lost? Would you show how to install 2FA for both iPhone and iPad?

We don't have any control over what sort of authentication device or app you use if you choose to enable 2FA for your 1password.com account. You can use a hardware token like a Yubikey or Titan key, or you can use another authenticator app such as Authy or Google Auth.

• tko7771Pass
    tko7771Pass
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars. Thank you so much for a reply to my questions. I understand more about 1Password and Two Factor Authentications.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tko7771Pass - you're very welcome! Glad I was able to help clarify things. :)

This discussion has been closed.