Problems Connecting Vault on New Computer

outtacontext
outtacontext
Community Member

Just got a new iMac and I'm trying to install 1password to my new computer. I'm not using the subscription method. Installed 1password and it asks me to find the vault (I tell it I'm using Dropbox). When I click "Choose File it opens up a window with my Dropbox contents. I see the vault and double-click on it. Then nothing happens. The screen asking me to locate the file remains there.

Here's the screen I'm seeing that asks me to locate the file:

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@outtacontext - sorry for the confusion. Is the file that you see in Dropbox labeled - as the image above asks - .opvault? Or are you using the deprecated .agilekeychain? If it's the latter, you'll need to back out to the main screen there ("Go Back") and choose the "More Options" button, then "Create A Standalone Vault":

Once you've done that (give it a good Master Password), click File > Import and choose the "1Password Keychain" option:

Navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the .agilekeychain file for your previous 1Password database. This will import the contents to 1Password 7 for Mac's internal SQLite database. Once you've done that, you'll need to visit Preferences > Sync and turn ON Dropbox sync. This will cause 1Password 7 for Mac to write out an OPVault file (not an Agile Keychain) into your Dropbox vault. Let us know if you have any troubles with that, or questions. :)

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

No, it’s the newer .opvault file. I’ve never had a problem setting this up on a new computer before.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@outtacontext - in 1Password 7 for Mac, we are a fully sandboxed application, for the first time. That means we can only access certain sections of your Dropbox folder without explicit authorization from you. If your .opvault file is in a non-standard location, you won't see it listed in the screenshot you provided. However, you should still be able to click "pick a different location" in that shot, and navigate to the location you've chosen. I'd recommend moving the OPVault to the standard location ( /Dropbox/Apps/1Password ), but that's up to you.

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

It’s on the root level of my Dropbox. I’ve installed instances of 1password recently on new computers with no problem. As I originally stated, when I clicked on the Choose File button, I navigated to my Dropbox root. I saw the file and selected it. When I did, I was simply taken back to the screen that I posted up above, where it asked me to Choose file. I’ve been using ver 7 since it first launched. The setup process is not new to me, but this glitch is. And, I am successfully using 1Password with this opvault file on three other Macs and my iPhone.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@outtacontext - hmmm...is Dropbox a) up to date and b) running on this device? And on the other Macs where you are using this setup, are you using 1Password 7 for Mac?

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

Yes, to all. One thing I noticed is that when I’m asked to choose a file and click the button, it always takes me to folder called Dropbox that sits directly under my admin account. The folder is empty. I don’t know what this folder is or how it was created.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@outtacontext: Yeah, I'm not sure what that would be either -- and you'd have an infinitely better chance given it's your computer. Weird. :lol:

If you choose "Pick a different location" and select the correct Dropbox location using Foldr Sync, does that work?

If not, let me know what you're seeing when you're selecting the vault you want. If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post anything sensitive, as this is a public forum. Thanks in advance!

• outtacontext
    outtacontext
    Community Member

Brenty, I solved the problem. I trashed any data on my new instance of 1Password and started over. And, it worked. I think the problem was that I was originally trying to link to my opvault in my Dropbox folder before my opvault synced with my new computer. Thanks for staying with me.

Jeff

• Thanks for the update Jeff. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.