Importing from Dashlane doesn't work at all

Options

I've followed the instructions for migrating from Dashlane and exported a CSV, but simple get an error that says Unable to import on the web client.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• SiPond
    SiPond
    Community Member
    Options

The error I receive is Error: No importable items were found in the selected file.

Not sure what I'm missing here. One one side the guide makes it seem like it's as easy as exporting the csv and you're up and running, but upon looking further, it's wanting me to modify the file myself? It's a massive password list and doing it manually defeats the purpose of switching to 1Password for time efficiency and ease of use.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@SiPond ,

Which platform are you on?
    Which version and type of 1Password (standalone, Personal, Families, etc.) are you using?

See the comments from here to the bottom of the thread.

• SiPond
    SiPond
    Community Member
    Options

MacOS 10.14.2, Windows 10, and iOS 12
    Personal 1Password with whatever the latest versions are for each of those.

1. I exported a CSV from MacOS and input that into the Web client of 1Password and received the error about no importable items being found.
    2. I modified the CSV to remove notes and identity info, and used the Mac client to import. It imported everything as one field and exposed all my passwords. I deleted the import.
    3. I changed the CSV format to a legacy version, and now my emails are all in the password fields when being imported (still in the MacOS version, as the web import does not work.
    4. I have found that 1Password does not distinguish (or add a field) between a username, an email, and credentials that have both. Thus, the CSV having a field for each, makes it so that it bumps the password and replaces it with the email field. I am currently merging whatever logins don't have separate emails and usernames, but the ones that do, I cannot afford to remove, as those are essential to the accounts. What can be done about this?
  • MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Options

Very nice info @SiPond,

1. This would indicate there's a formatting issue with the Dashlane CSV export. I've commented in several threads here about Dashlane's CSV export issues. 1Password.com I believe is doing a best-attempt effort, but when the CSV is broken, I don't think it handles the situation well.
    2. No need to remove the Notes field from a CSV (in case that's what you meant) for a CSV import using the CSV importer of the native app. You do need all items to be the same in the CSV (e.g. all Logins, all Secure Notes, etc.). The columns in a CSV import are defined in the How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file article. The "imported everything as one field" also implies a formatting problem. Be sure to follow the instructions in the linked article if you are going to use CSV. Furthermore, the CSV must be exported as UTF-8.
    3. You cannot change the Dashlane CSV export structure and have the 1Password.com importer work (since the file is now no longer a "Dashlane" export - its your own CSV). The importer is looking for a specific format.
    4. Correct in terms of form-fill w/Logins. A "username" and an "email" are often the same, and email addresses have become the preferred login credential used by most sites. Place in the "username" field whatever you'd use when you log into the site. This is what happens when you have a Login created by the 1Password extension, for example.

If you want a more robust conversion of your CSV export, use the csv converter in the converter suite. You can order the columns how you want, label them (according to the README.pdf) and identify which of email / login columns should go into your Login's username field, and have the other placed into a custom-named field. Use the latest version in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post. The 1PIF that gets generated can be imported on any of the desktop apps as well. The README.pdf explains how to use the csv converter (see the specific CSV section regarding how to format your export data).

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

[ just in case you were reading this as I was correcting my issues - please note that I made several edits to my post above]

• SiPond
    SiPond
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much, @MrC! I ended up just having to edit the CSV manually as I was a little too tired last night to ingest the guide for your fantastic conversion tool. I apologize for being short as I'd been tired and cranky after some late night work. I did more research on 1Password and while there are some cons, I'm sold on the switch and seeing your helpfulness on this community was one of the reasons!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Outstanding @SiPond,

No need for any apologies - software can bring us to the drink.

Enjoy 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.