Change password automatically (e.g. ebay)

Options
Puschel
Puschel
Community Member

Hi,

is there a function to change a password (e.g. Ebay, Facebook, or what else) every day (week, month...) automatically?

Because of security reasons, I want to change my passwords every few days, every week or so, withoud doing it manually.

Thanks

Martin

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2019
    Options

Hi @Puschel,

We don't offer automatic password changes. There are a number of reasons, many of which have been discussed here. Routine password changes are actually now discouraged by the same body that originally recommended them (NIST):

Remove periodic password change requirements
    This is one that legions of corporate employees forced to create a new password every month will surely be happy about. There have been multiple studies that have shown requiring frequent password changes to actually be counterproductive to good password security, but the industry has doggedly held on to the practice. Hopefully, these new recommendations will change that.

(via https://www.passwordping.com/surprising-new-password-guidelines-nist/ )

Unfortunately the original source, NIST itself, is largely offline due to the current US government shutdown:

NOTICE: Due to a lapse in government funding, this and almost all NIST-affiliated websites will be unavailable until further notice.

The recommendation is now to pick a good password (i.e. using the 1Password password generator) and unless you have reason to believe it is compromised: stick with it.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.