Can I use 1Password 6 on one Mac while using 1Password 7 on another Mac?

Options
jmkiska
jmkiska
Community Member

I’m currently using a single license of 1Password 6 (v6.8.9) on both my home iMac running macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan), and on my work MacBook Pro running macOS 10.11 (El Capitan). Both are syncing to my 1P vault via DropBox, as do my iPad Pro and my iPhone XS Max.

I just purchased a 2018 Mac mini which will be running macOS 10.14 (Mojave). I know I will have to upgrade to 1Password 7 on the Mac mini, but my problem is I cannot upgrade to v7 on my MacBook Pro because I cannot upgrade from macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan) due to current corporate policy.

So my first question is:

Can I continue to use 1P v6 on my MacBook Pro syncing with the same vault after I upgrade 1P v7 on my new Mac mini?

Secondly:

If it is possible, what is the best way to accomplish this; single license of 1P v7 or a 1Password Membership?

Finally:

If it’s not possible to sync to the same value, can I have two (2) vaults with a single license of 1P v7 or a 1Password Membership, or is there a better solution?

1Password Version: 6.8.9 and 7.x
Extension Version: 4.7.3 and ?
OS Version: 10.11.6 ans 10.14.x
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Can I continue to use 1P v6 on my MacBook Pro syncing with the same vault after I upgrade 1P v7 on my new Mac mini?

@jmkiska: Yes, you can. :) Just be sure that you're either using an OPVault, or a 1Password membership subscription account. 1Password 7 does not support the old AgileKeychain format.

If it is possible, what is the best way to accomplish this; single license of 1P v7 or a 1Password Membership?

The best way for most people is a membership, since then you don't have to deal with sync configuration or license management -- you just sign into your account on each device to access your data. That includes all the apps and updates, so there's nothing else to buy. But licenses for each version are also available.

If it’s not possible to sync to the same value, can I have two (2) vaults with a single license of 1P v7 or a 1Password Membership, or is there a better solution?

I'm not sure what you mean here, but thankfully you don't need to worry about it. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. :)

• jmkiska
    jmkiska
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty : Thanks for getting back to me.

I read in another post that 1P v6.8.9 will run on Mojave. If that is the case, I should be able to install it on my new Mac mini and not have to change anything. Is that correct?

I'm still debating if I should upgrade the 1P v7 with a membership. I have a few more questions:

1. Would it be best to install 1P v6.8.9 first on me new machine and then upgrade or go straight to 1P v7?
    2. If I would go straight to 1P v7, how would my old AgileKeychain vault (in DropBox) get converted and moved to a membership account?
    3. Once converted, I'm assuming I would then "Sign In" to my account on my 1P v6 MacBook Pro and it would then sync with my account instead of DropBox. Do I have to make any other changes?
    4. I'm assuming I would have to do the same then on my iOS devices?

As I'm sure you know there is very sensitive information in my vault so I just want to make sure the transition will be secure.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jmkiska

I read in another post that 1P v6.8.9 will run on Mojave.

For now, yes. However, if you use Safari, we don't know for how much longer that will be the case. Apple changed the extension format entirely in Safari 12 (which is what macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) ships with): apps with extensions no longer use the now-retired .safariextz format that we've all become accustomed to for years, replacing it with the newer Safari App Extension format instead. 1Password 7 for Mac has the newer format of extension, but since 1Password 6 for Mac was retired to legacy status before Mojave was released, it still uses the older .safariextz format -- and that's unlikely to change. Apple have already begun the process of removing the older style of extension from Safari 12: they've eliminated the ability for developers (or anyone else) to distribute extensions directly; although (for now) the older extensions still work in Safari, the ONLY way to install them is via the Safari Extensions Gallery -- and Apple have already said they plan to shutter the Safari Extensions Gallery. When that happens, 1Password 6 for Mac will not work in Safari 12 at all.

Would it be best to install 1P v6.8.9 first on me new machine and then upgrade or go straight to 1P v7?

I can't answer that for you. Either will work...for now, as I said. But if you're thinking of upgrading, why not make that decision one way or the other first? That way you can avoid having to switch versions later. It's possible to do it either way, however.

how would my old AgileKeychain vault (in DropBox) get converted and moved to a membership account?

If you're installing onto a completely new Mac Mini that you've never used 1Password on previously, you'd need to sign into your account on first-run of 1Password 7 after you install it, then choose the File > Import command and select the "1Password Keychain" option. Navigate in the pop-up to your Dropbox folder and select the Agile Keychain; that will allow you to import it into your vault.

Once converted, I'm assuming I would then "Sign In" to my account on my 1P v6 MacBook Pro and it would then sync with my account instead of DropBox. Do I have to make any other changes?

If you're considering both upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac and converting from a standalone vault to a 1password.com account, we actually have a great guide for doing that, which includes what to follow up with on all devices. In short, you migrate your data on ONLY one device from your standalone vault(s) to your account, and then on other devices, you sign in, and finally delete your older, no-longer-needed standalone vaults. Let us know if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.