credit cards no longer shown in 1P extension

itp
itp
Community Member

I have the extension installed in safari, chrome and FF. I have 1P X installed in FF.

When using the UI from the original extension (any browser) my credit cards are no longer shown. They are shown in 1P X and in the full client.

I guess it started when I installed 1P X in FF. Not 100% sure. But then again: I have the same behaviour in Safari and Chrome, and they don't have 1P X, so there's probably no relationship between 1P X and the problem with the credit cards in the extension.

I prefer the user experience of 1P X, but I miss the fact that you can't unlock it with the fingerprint reader on a Macbook (which the extension can), so I still use both

I already restarted all 1P processes. Anything I else I should look into?

thanks

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:credit card

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@itp - I'm sorry for the trouble. That's quite odd, however. How are you invoking the 1Password mini/extension? Using the extension icon in your browser's toolbar? With a keyboard command?

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

@Lars using the extenion icon, yes. Same behaviour in three different browsers.

FYI: I just went to the following workflow on another Mac:

• updated 1P
    • uninstalled and then installed 1P extension in FF
    • checked if the credit cards were visible through the extension: yes
    • installed 1P X in FF
    • checked if the credit cards were visible through the extension: yes

This makes it even harder to debug what's wrong on the machine that I use daily..

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@itp - I think this has to be a workflow/process issue, not a software bug, based on your description of it. It's...just not something that's likely to happen -- for the extension and its communication with the main app to be working properly...except one arbitrary set of items (credit cards). Are you using the exact same process on the second Mac as you are on the first? One more thing to potentially check: look at one of your credit card items. Click Edit and look down under "display." Do you see it set to "Suggest in browser?"

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

@Lars It has to do with that setting, apparently.

If I'm remembering well that setting was called something else before ("Always suggest.." maybe?). For both cards I had set the property to "never suggest" (whatever it was called back then), but that did not prevent the cards to be shown by explicitly clicking on the "Credit cards" category (as expected)

Anyways: now when I set the option to "Suggest in browser" it is both suggested and visible by clicking the Credit cards-category. What I want is to be able to set the option to "Never suggest" again but that the credit card-details are still visible when clicking the corresponding category, as it used to be. Does that make sense?

• @itp

I see. I think that is likely confusion over the labeling of this setting. What it really does is makes it such that the item will never appear in 1Password mini / the browser extensions, at all. It isn't possible to have it both ways: to have it not be "suggested" but to have it show in other areas of 1Password mini. It is all or nothing.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

@Ben Really?That is so weird. I was really under the impression that the behaviour I'm expecting is how it always worked... until ... one week/ten days max ago? Or maybe since I've updated to 7.2.4 (released on Dec 19th, which is only 3 weeks ago...

FWIW: I even have some "evidence" in a comment from last summer: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/445093/#Comment_445093

(at least that comment from the past gives me some reassurance I'm not going entirely mad ;)

• Really?

Really really. Setting "display" to "never suggest in browser" makes it so the item doesn't appear in mini at all.

Ben

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

@ben I can reproduce the (to me, preferred) behaviour I'm describing on my daughters macbook which still has 1P v7.2.2 installed.

The credit cards are never "suggested" but they are visible from the mini-browser when clicking the appropriate category. I've been used to this behaviour since at least last summer (see the old post I mentioned earlier). As of late it does not work that way anymore.

I made a screen-cam recording. If you wan't I can send it to you.

• I believe you that it worked that way in the past. I'm commenting on the current behavior. In the latest versions if you set the "display" option to "never suggest" the item will not appear in mini. This is intentional. From the 1Password 7.2.4 changelog:

Fixed an issue where the Display In Browser setting was being ignored. {apple-issues#1323}

The setting was previously (e.g. in v7.2.2) not working as intended. That has been corrected. I understand you preferred the unintentional behavior, but considering it was unintentional (and has since been fixed) I don't imagine we're going to see that behavior return.

I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Ben

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

So the option should be called like that : "Never display in browser" instead of "Never suggest...". (You've already touched that point earlier on.) Especially since there's a handy feature in the browser which suggests credentials based on the current web site.

How about having the two options in a future release : "Never display" and "Never suggest" ? The thing is: in the current version, when you choose the option for a credit card to be displayed in the browser it is suggested at all times even if there is no credit card form present on the current web page. This is a bit of a nuisance because one is presented with superfluous information (the suggested credit card information), while under other circumstances 1P does a pretty good job in detecting the credit card form the moment the user requests that particular form to be filled. I'm trying to think of the use case where having the credit card info suggested at all times might come in handy, but I don't see it.

My configuration has a number of entries in the categories Servers and Wireless routers. Each one of them has the display option set to "Suggest in browser" (the default). These categories are distinct from the Logins-category. Same goes for the Credit Cards category. Why aren't the Servers and Wireless routers entries suggested all the time? Clearly because the code follows a rule to prevent that. What is the reason for suggesting the credit cards at all times, then? (and I mean really suggesting, not simply displaying under the corresponding category)

Sorry for going on and on about this. To me it is not so much about the issue at hand (or behaviour-by-design): you guys are the product owners, so you decide what goes in and what goes out. But it's about your user base getting informed correctly and in an open manner: this is why we do things, every once in a while you might think we've screwed up, sometimes you're right and then we fix it, other times it's just us making a call.

pascal

• @itp

How about having the two options in a future release : "Never display" and "Never suggest" ?

There is a really high bar for adding an additional option or preference to 1Password. If you search this forum for "add a preference" I think you'll be able to quickly see why. If we added even a quarter of the preferences folks suggest the whole app would be littered with checkboxes. heh. That isn't to say that we wouldn't ever consider adding such an option, but there would have to be a pretty high demand from a large volume of customers.

The thing is: in the current version, when you choose the option for a credit card to be displayed in the browser it is suggested at all times even if there is no credit card form present on the current web page. This is a bit of a nuisance because one is presented with superfluous information (the suggested credit card information)

Hmm. That is an interesting point. While there are reasons to want quick access to a credit card other than filling it into the web page you're currently looking at, I wonder if perhaps we should consider hiding these items from suggestions unless that is the situation. I'll do some brainstorming with development next time we sit down and see if we can come up with some further thoughts on this.

But it's about your user base getting informed correctly and in an open manner: this is why we do things, every once in a while you might think we've screwed up, sometimes you're right and then we fix it, other times it's just us making a call.

Yep, definitely. I think perhaps there is some room for improvement here and I'll be happy to suggest such to the rest of the team.

Ben

• itp
    itp
    Community Member

Sounds good, Ben. Thanks for that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.