1Password OTP in Windows not working for Twitter

Options
msxtj
msxtj
Community Member
edited January 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Today I got locked out of Twitter because the OTP codes were not working. I was able to get into Twitter with a backup code, and at that point, disabled 2FA and re-enabled using Google Authenticator on my Android phone. That worked. I repeated the steps again with 1Password Windows, but OTP in 1Password Windows does not work:

Side note: My 1Password on Windows cannot connect to the internet due to 1Password network limitations on Windows. However, OTPs from the same entry on 1Password Android work. The issue then is with the OTP code generated by 1Password Windows.

1Password Version: 7.3.648
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @msxtj! The issue is likely your PC's time. The OTP secret doesn't change – it's totally static as is the math used to generate the code. What does change, is the time of day and if that drifts off, you'll get codes that don't match what the account you're signing into is expecting. Open your time settings on your PC (right-click your clock and select "Adjust date and time", then toggle the "Automatically set time" and "automatically set time zone" settings off, then back on. This will almost universally fix this issue and get those codes working again. Let me know what you find. :+1:

• msxtj
    msxtj
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bundtkate - the time and timezone on my machine are set to Automatic. And I still have this issue. This happens only with Twitter though. Other services seem to be fine. I am not sure whether the problem is 1Password or Twitter. I have a gif proof as in my first post - is there anything I could provide you to help debug this problem?

• Hi @msxtj,

I just reset and tested this on my own Twitter account, it worked fine out of the box.

Instead of scanning the barcode, click on Can't scan code? blue link and then copy the code, paste it in the 2FA field inside 1Password and save it.

See if it works. If it doesn't work, then there's something misconfigured outside of 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.