4.0.8 won't start after MAS update from 4.0.5 (Disk I/O Problems) [confirmed AFP home folder issue]

Options
mohnid
mohnid
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

After I updated 1Password 4 to the latest AppStore Version yesterday, I can't get 1Password to work.

After startup I always get a disk I/O Error, piping up repeatingly. I found this error in the system.log:
2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper[424]: 408001 [SQLITE:0x7fe1f3004640:<SQLite: 0x7fe1f331c170>] E exec:error: | Failed to execute sql [PRAGMA synchronous = NORMAL]: 'disk I/O error'.
After deleting the 'ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist' inside LaunchAgents the stops poping up repeatingly,

but as the Agent is not running 1Password is not usable. The error will appear while starting 1Password when it connects to the Agent.

It is also impossible to restore a backup.

I use dropbox for syncing my 1Password.agilekeychain.

Is there anything to check to fix this issue ?

Comments

• mohnid
    mohnid
    Community Member
    Options

One more Information about my setup:
    My home Folder is located on my OSX Server and mapped using AFP, maybe this is causing troubles...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mohnid,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty here! Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• takao
    takao
    Community Member
    Options

I encountered the same trouble on my Mac. And my home folder is located on my OSX Server, mapped using AFP too.

• mohnid
    mohnid
    Community Member
    Options

I already send a diagnostic report, but also the diagnostic tool seems to fail as there is no report attached,
    the mail was send on november 20. at 23:16 GMT+1

• Thomas Neumann
    Thomas Neumann
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Get the following error when using 1Password 4.0.9 with database created by previous version:

24.11.13 10:48:35,636 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[2444]: ApplePersistence=YES 24.11.13 10:48:35,790 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[2444]: 409002 [SQLITE:0x7feff9dcf2e0:<SQLite: 0x7feff9dcc960>] E exec:error: | Failed to execute sql [PRAGMA synchronous = NORMAL]: 'disk I/O error'.

works fine wham using 4.0.7 beta-2, but this version has the problem mentioned in http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/91872/#Comment_91872 which is also a problem of no beta Versions of 1Password 4

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey guys,

Here are some suggestions I hope will help you to resolve this issue:

Has your system been restarted since this problem started?

Could you please open Disk Utility, run Repair Disk Permissions on your startup volume, and see if that helps?

If possible, please create a new user account and test if 1Password works correctly there. Then you'll know if this is a user-specific or system-wide problem.

@mohnid,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling just 1Password.app? How to remove Mac App Store apps that appear in Launchpad is a good method to uninstall the MAS version of 1P4 before reinstalling it from App Store. This won't touch your 1Password data.

Note: 1PasswordAgent is only used by 1Password 3. That won't interfere with being able to generate a Diagnostics Report.

@takao,

Which versions of 1P4 and OS X are you running? Are you able to generate and email us a Diagnostics Report?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @thomasneumann.

Are you currently running 4.0.9 and having this issue or running 4.0.7 beta-2 and working around it?

If you're still having trouble now please send us a Diagnostics Report (see instructions in post #6 above yours in that other topic) and we'll help you through email. Thanks!

• mohnid
    mohnid
    Community Member
    Options

Hi

After reinstalling 1Password from MAS I tried different users...

If I run 1Password 4.0.8 on my local Administrator account and everything works fine

I then created a brand new test user on my server, logged in from remote computer, started 1Password and got the same error like after the update.

There is definitely a problem with AFP home folders...

After running the Troubleshooting Tool from a local folder (not from the Download Folder on my afp home) a report was generated, mail is on the way...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mohnid.

Thanks for the additional information and sending the report. We're already in the process of helping you in email to resolve this problem and will continue to follow up with you there.

• gbelleguic
    gbelleguic
    Community Member
    Options

+1 After updating and restart my computer, 1password mini failed to launch.
    It works with a local account but not with an afp home folders.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @gbelleguic.

We've received your Diagnostics Report and will work with you directly through email to ensure that we don't get anything muddled up between here and there. :)

• Justin Dixon
    Justin Dixon
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

I am also having this same issue with a mac that was running fine on a local account, but once using an AFP home holder with OSX server I get these same errors, is 1Password 4 not compatible with a home folder located on an AFP share and should I move on or is a solution coming?

• mohnid
    mohnid
    Community Member
    Options

Just to tell the audience...

I am now using Version 4.0.7 from the Website, this is the last Version working with AFP home folders.

Latest 4.1.1 Version will still not work with AFP home folders, therefore if someone is using the MAS Version and AFP home folders then stay on 4.0.5...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, Justin.

A bug report has been filed about problems 1Password 4 is having with its data is stored on AFP volumes and we are currently investigating possible solutions. It appears as though the fix we made to better support NFS remote home folders has caused AFP remote home folders to have a similar issue.

If you'd like to email us and include a Diagnostics Report we'll be able to better help you determine your options for 1Password 4 usage. Thanks in advance.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Thank you for sharing that information, @mohnid.

Using 4.0.5 (MAS) or 4.0.7 (Web Store) versions of 1P4 with data stored on AFP volumes is certainly one of the possible options, although they may have other issues fixed in later versions that would discourage usage. By seeing a Diagnostics Report we can determine on a case by case basis if that and/or other options are worthwhile to suggest.

Of course a full solution for this problem is preferable to any workarounds.

• Thomas Neumann
    Thomas Neumann
    Community Member
    Options

Hi oversoul,
    Yes, using a version previous to 4.0.8 is a workaround for the issue.
    I sent you the diagnostic report
    Thanks of your help

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @thomasneumann.

Thanks for sending the report. We've received it and will follow up with you more in email. I've also merged your forum topic with s similar one.

• Thomas Neumann
    Thomas Neumann
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, how is the status for the bugfix with the AFP-bug? This is a serious bug which makes 1 Password unusable for all people using remote folders. Therefore I hope that it will be worked on with high priority? But this seems not to be the case since there are at least 2 subsquent beta releases which do not address this issue?
    The Version 4.0.7 has another series issue, which makes the database empty after every auto backup which is (at least not obviously) possible to deactivate. Downgrading to an earlier Version like 4.0.5 is prohibited by a "beta expired" message.
    All in all currently 1 Password 4 is unusable for me and this is very annoying. I am also getting more and more angry about all the time I have to spent doing workarounds, recoveries etc. Finally i downgraded to 3.8.21 for the moment. If the situation will not be improved very soon and the quality of further releases is as worse, I will switch to another password management tool.

• mohnid
    mohnid
    Community Member
    Options

I had the empty database already with 4.0.5. The Workaround here is to terminate 1Password mini and then start 1Password.
    After that the database is back...

It doesn't happen every time, but I didn't really investigate on it.
    Maybe it depends when you first open 1P Mini -> before or after the Backup Message...

• Aelvin
    Aelvin
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue. My home folder is on a remote server (AFP or SMB, both have same failure).

1Passowrd 4.1.1 411001
    Failed to open 1Password database
    error Domain-SQLite Code=3850 "disk I/O error"

Console shows
    ... com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper[699]: 411001 [SQLITE:0x7fd5e356aa50:] E exec:error: | Failed to execute sql [PRAGMA synchronous = NORMAL]: 'disk I/O error'.

Works fine from local account, never works from account with remote home.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

A potential fix for this problem with using 1P4 with its data stored on an AFP volume is forthcoming, possibly in the next beta 4.1.2 update.

• mohnid
    mohnid
    Community Member
    Options

@all Just tried 4.1.2 Beta 5, everything is working fine for the moment.
    I think that the removal of exclusive locking was the solution.

I know other Applications that have troubles with exclusive locking. Maybe AFP does not support exclusive locking at all...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @mohnid.

Thanks for letting us know this change in 4.1.5.BETA-5 appears to have resolved the problem you were having using 1P4 with data on AFP volumes:

• No longer using exclusive locking mode for the application database.

I haven't verified your hunch that AFP doesn't support exclusive locking, although the issue sounds similar to this one:

Issue 205 - leveldb - Lock operation not supported on afp share

This discussion has been closed.