Purchase Advice

Options
wammer
wammer
Community Member

I am thinking of taking advantage of the Christmas discount offer to purchase 1Password for iMac and for iPad/iPhone. I am a little confused, however, as to which version to buy for the Mac - App Store or download - and whether I need separate licences for myself and for my wife.

My wife and I share an iMac. We have separate user accounts and separate Apple IDs. If I buy from the Mac App Store, will it be available for my wife to use on her user account or will she need to buy from the App Store as well? If the latter then the download option for a family licence may be cheaper, but I am not sure if this offers full iCloud syncing?

Another consideration is the need for us to sync passwords to and from our iPads and iPhone, bearing in mind that we have separate Apple IDs. I currently use iCloud to sync bookmarks, calendars, etc. to my iPad Air and iPhone 5. My wife uses iTunes to sync to her iPad Air. She also has a Nokia Windows 7.5 phone which she rarely uses for web access at present, so password syncing would be nice but she could live without it.. All Apple devices run iOS7.

Any advice would be most welcome. I believe the discount offer runs out on 31st, so I guess I need to make a swift decision!

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Just a few quick answers to some of your questions:

1. If you buy from the Mac App Store you'll need both to be using the same Apple ID in order to put 1P4 on your computer and your wife's. From what you say, that's not the case so the two of you would each have to buy a copy.
    2. The version of 1P4 from the AgileBits store does not officially support iCloud. My understanding is that it works at present but that Apple could withdraw support it since it's not officially supported.
    3. If you want to sync with iOS devices you'll need to run 1P4 for iOS on those devices (I'm assuming you don't currently have 1P3 for iOS on them—and there are in any event limits on the ways you can sync if you have 1P3 on the iDevices). You could set up folder sync in 1P4 on the Mac to create a keychain that you could export to 1P on the iDevices (via iTunes) as your wife apparently does at present. (Be aware that's not actually sync: rather a manual transfer of the keychain every so often.) Otherwise, if you're using 1P4 for iOS you could use local wifi sync or Dropbox.

In some haste, so apologies if this is not as complete as it might be!

Stephen

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I can verify from my own experience that the AgileBits web store version currently does support syncing with iCloud. But AgileBits is recommending the Mac App Store version for those who need to rely on iCloud because Apple could sometime confine access to iCloud to only those applications purchased from there.

I switched back to Dropbox for syncing to protect myself from the possibility that I might get cut off from iCloud in the future. I'd prefer iCloud because syncing is a little faster there, mainly because AgileBits in making a translation of version 4 data to be backwards compatible with version 3 and other platforms. Eventually, though, the newer format will be adopted everywhere. Also, Dropbox has the advantage that you can gain read-only access to your data through any modern web browser via 1PasswordAnywhere, which isn't possible with iCloud.

This discussion has been closed.