Synching Chrome Extension on Windows and Mac

I have a Windows PC that I run alongside a MacBook Pro. I use Chrome on both.

The problem is that the 1Password extension for Chrome on Windows is 3.9.20.99, while the one on Mac OS has been updated to 4.0.1.99. This means that if I want to keep Chrome synched between my two machines, I have to run both versions of the extension. This actually works, but it's annoying because I get error messages on both machines telling me that I'm running the wrong version of the extension. Plus, I also have to remember which one to use for which machine.

Is there any way around this? If not, is there a timeline on if/when there will be an extension update that's compatible with both Windows and Mac OS, so that I can use just the one extension on Chrome?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, should resolve this issue, allowing you to restore Chrome's extension-sync feature.

Until you're using 1Password 4 on your PC, though, you must disable that Chrome feature.

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

• DennisHong
    DennisHong
    Community Member

Okay, I understand. Is there an estimate on when 1Password 4 for Windows will be available? Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Nothing firm at this time, Dennis.

• olihar
    olihar
    Community Member

Will you then sync up the versioning for all the different OS's? as I am running 4 on MacOs and 1 on Windows

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@olihar, I believe the sync'ing applies only to Mac OS and Windows, and the release of 1Password 4 for Windows (currently in beta development) should allow you to re-enable that feature.

• DennisHong
    DennisHong
    Community Member

Fair enough. Thanks for the heads-up.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

Is there any way around this?

Please turn off Chrome Sync for your extensions:

1. Open Google Chrome.
    2. Click on the wrench icon, located in the top-right corner in the browser toolbar.
    3. Click on "Settings".
    4. If you see a "Sign in to Chrome" button, then Chrome Sync is already disabled.
    5. Click on "Advanced Sync Settings".
    6. In the "Advanced Sync Settings" pop-up window, select the drop down menu and select "Choose What To Sync".
    7. Uncheck "Extensions".
    8. Click on "OK".

Will you then sync up the versioning for all the different OS's?

Yes. These steps are a temporary workaround. As soon as 1Password v4 for Windows is out, you can re-enable Chrome Sync for your extensions.

• JayNichols
    JayNichols
    Community Member

I've turned off sync for extensions, as above, and re-installed the Chrome extension for Windows 3.x. Now ALL my extensions buttons have disappeared (Evernote, et al) from the Windows computer, and I've been unable to to re-acquire any of them.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

This discussion has been closed.