1Password 4 does not have .htm import format [for RoboForm]

Options
jv1
jv1
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hi,
I recall in version 3 there was an option for importing roboform pass and safenotes.
In the 1 password 4 trial version I was trying to import .htm format of roboform passes but the only choice was .pif format and csv.
why no .htm import format?
Am i missing something??

Please advise
Thanks

Comments

• jv1
    jv1
    Community Member
    Options

Can someone tell me if importing roboform pass ( .htm format) is being planned to be incorporated soon so I can buy 1password as there is a discount going on now? -- Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jv1,

I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to you here but we have been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac. We're all working hard and putting in extra hours to get back to our usual snappy responses and we really appreciate your patience.

1Password 4's import feature is still under development. Right now your best option is to use 1Password 3 to import your data, then migrate that into 1Password 4. I do apologize for the inconvenience here - if you'd like a bit more detailed instructions, please let me know, I'd be happy to help :)

• bottomkeeper
    bottomkeeper
    Community Member
    Options

I am converting everything from RoboForm to 1Password for Mac AND Windows and will need to import Roboform (1) Identities, (2) Safenotes and (3) Logins. The only option is to save in HTM. Megan per your last post, you stated the only way to do this was to use v3 to import, then upgrade to v4. That would work for me if the import is supported in previous versions. Where would I get an older version?

• Jasper
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hey @bottomkeeper,

Here's the download link for 1Password 3:

Download 1Password 3.8.22 (direct download link)

• bottomkeeper
    bottomkeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks JasperP. I've downloaded the zip but don't see any Windows executables to install the app. Is this the Windows version of 1Password? I will need to do the migration from RoboForm into 1Password on Windows, then port the 1Password-data to Mac. (I don't have the Macbook yet).

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bottomkeeper.

1Password for Windows can be downloaded from here:

Download AgileBits Software

There's some information about importing Roboform Passcards in HTML format here:

Importing data | 1Password User Guide

And information about exporting 1PIF format files (that can be imported into 1Password 4 for Mac) is here:

Exporting data | 1Password User Guide

I hope that helps. :)

• bottomkeeper
    bottomkeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks sjk, but it appears this is a link to v4. Apparently I need v3, (see the Posts above with Megan's response) so i'm looking for a link to download 1Password3 for Windows.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @bottomkeeper.

I will need to do the migration from RoboForm into 1Password on Windows

>

… so i'm looking for a link to download 1Password3 for Windows.

The information in my reply is for the current version of 1Password for Windows. 1Password 4 for Windows is coming; there is no version 3. :)

Previous references to 1Password 3 are for the Mac version.

• bottomkeeper
    bottomkeeper
    Community Member
    Options

Got it, thanks. I'm already using the Windows version and the ability to import the Passcards isn't working for me. All content with RoboForm is exported into 1 of 3 HTM files. (Identities, Safenotes and Logins). Unfortunately, there is no option to export to CSV or any type of delimited file. Based on this discussion, 1Password3 for Mac had this capability but v4 does not, so, I believe my best option is to install 1Password3 for Mac and import the RF data there, then xfer to the Windows environment afterwards.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi, @bottomkeeper.

If you're going to give 1Password 3 for Mac a try here's what Importing Data into 1Password | 1Password 3 User Guide says is supported:

• RoboForm Passcards and Safenotes

With any importing it's best to actually test since results can vary and be tough to predict.

• davideakinm2
    davideakinm2
    Community Member
    Options

Roboform HTML files didn't import into 1Password 3. What format should be used?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @davideakinm2‌,

Please try exporting your data into .csv format if possible.

• Pepper787
    Pepper787
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan, Back in December you said that the Mac version 4 import features were still under development. Do you have an ETA on that?

In the meantime, it was suggested that we use the Mac version 3 to do the imports. Can version 3 be run alongside version 4, or should the version 4 be uninstalled first?

@davideakinm2 said that the HTML files would not import into Mac version 3. If true for everyone, and since RoboForm will ONLY export HTML, everyone that has SafeNotes to import is SOL.

Here's why: RoboForm Passcards will import into the Windows version 4 beta, but fail miserably in the currently shipping Windows version. But at least there is an option. Safenotes will not import into the Windows Beta version. If you attempt to import them, they import as Logins and the notes themselves do not import (at least that was my experience).

I realize that import is a minor feature of 1Password, but right now you do not have any way to get RoboForm users fully into 1Password. You also need to change any mention of that capability in your sales pitches and user documentation to reflect reality.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @Pepper787,

No new importers have been added to 1Password 4. Improvements have mostly focused on the CSV importer, some of which Jamie ( @jxpx777 ) explained: here.

1Password 3 can run alongside 1Password 4. If your only purpose for using 1Password 3 is importing/exporting then I suggest creating a new empty data file for it, separate from any data 1Password 4 is using (e.g. in Dropbox).

To import using 1Password 3 if you're running Mavericks (10.9), open the Terminal app (from /Applications/Utilities) then copy and paste this single line into it:

env PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin '/Applications/1Password 3.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password'

That assumes the 1Password 3 app is in the /Applications folder and named 1Password 3.app. You'll need to adjust that if yours is named differently. This will allow the import scripts to use the older version of Ruby and properly import your data.

I realize that import is a minor feature of 1Password, but right now you do not have any way to get RoboForm users fully into 1Password. You also need to change any mention of that capability in your sales pitches and user documentation to reflect reality.

Are there specific places we're pitching and documenting RoboForm that you've found inaccurate? For the Mac, there is documentation in this 1Password 3 guide:

Importing Data into 1Password | 1Password 3 User Guide

It's not mentioned at all in this 1Password 4 guide:

How can I import data from another application?

We do appreciate your feedback about this. Please let us know if you have any other questions or issues.

• seniorblanco
    seniorblanco
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I'm new to 1Password and need to convert Roboform login's to 1Password.

Any place I can look for process? It would be easier if I were entering a new log in and id for the first time but I'm unsure about, web site, secondary web site for log in? changing password from existing to 1Password generated password

any suggestions would be appreciated!
    thanks

• Pepper787
    Pepper787
    Community Member
    Options

Sjk, thanks for the reply.

Your terminal command does not work. As is, the error is that "/applications/1password" is not a valid file or path. I think it is missing the escape character. Putting a "\" after "password" & in front of the space (1password\ ) causes a page full of errors, and a request by 1password for access to my contacts. Don't know why it needs that. Also, please explain what the purpose is for running the command in the first place? I am not familiar with Ruby and have no idea what you are talking about.

Several places in the forum people are told to use 1password for windows to import. That does not work for RoboForm SafeNotes. In my experience they are imported as logins and none of the SafeNote text is imported. My experience is also that RoboForm Passcards are not imported correctly into 1Password 3 for Windows, though are imported into the 1Password 4 Beta for windows.

Thanks for your help with this.

• Pepper787
    Pepper787
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I just tried importing the safenotes into 1Password 3 for Mac and from what I can tell, it worked without having to run the terminal command. Assuming I can get them into 1Password 4 without a hitch, that job is done.

EDIT: They imported correctly into 1Password 4 from 1Password 3.

So what was the purpose of that command? I just noticed that you said it was for Mavericks. I'm running Mountain Lion. Guess that accounts for the error and why import worked without needing to run it. But for the future...

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pepper787,

Thanks for pointing out that quoting error with the command; I've fixed it in the post.

I'll have to check why 1Password 3 wants access to Contacts during setup and can let you know later. Maybe for use creating a personal Identity item. I know it's optional.

The purpose for the command is so the import scripts that use the older version of ruby will work on Mavericks (10.9).

Several places in the forum people are told to use 1password for windows to import.

Do you have any references to recent suggestions for doing that?

Just noticed your latest post come in …

I just tried importing the safenotes into 1Password 3 for Mac and from what I can tell, it worked without having to run the terminal command.

Excellent! Running it from the command line for Mavericks (10.9) usage. You hadn't mentioned which version of OS X you were using so I'd included that in my original reply.

Assuming I can get them into 1Password 4 without a hitch, that job is done.

Export to 1PIF format from 1Password 3 and that should import fine with 1Password 4. And if you do get stuck anywhere with that we'll be here to help. :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @seniorblanco,

I'm new to 1Password and need to convert Roboform login's to 1Password.

Welcome to 1Password! :)

I'm merged your post with another topic about importing RoboForm data into 1Password 4. I hope some of the suggestions here are helpful for you.

Which web browser are you using, and versions of 1Password 4 and the browser extension?

It would be easier if I were entering a new log in and id for the first time but I'm unsure about, web site, secondary web site for log in?

If you have RoboForm installed for a browser on your Mac that also has the 1Password extension installed, you could fill information using RoboForm and save it into 1Password.

Filling with RoboForm would be "Step 3: Enter your username and password" of Getting your information into 1Password in this guide:

1Password 4 Basics

Saving would be "Step 4: Save the login in 1Password".

That's one way to get login information from RoboForm into 1Password without using importing.

Feel free to try different things to see what will work best for you and be sure to ask for any help you need along the way. :)

• gius
    gius
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to migrate from Roboform but I didn't read any quick and safe way to import data from Roboform. Am I right?
    There is any chance to see developed soon a tool to do that?
    I have over 600 logins, manually is too hard ;-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @gius,

1Password 4 is unable to directly import RoboForm data. As suggested earlier in this topic, current steps for doing it on a Mac are:

• Import your RoboForm data into 1Password 3. See post #11 for what's supported and post #15 for instructions on Mavericks.
    • Export the imported data from 1Password to a 1PIF file (which will contain unencrypted data).
    • Import the 1PIF file into 1Password 4, then securely delete that file.

Please let us know if you'd like more help with this.

• randy_m
    randy_m
    Community Member
    Options

Boy, I sure couldn't get this to work; been trying all afternoon. When I try to run the terminal script, I get 'no such file or directory'. I tried changing the name of the app to 1password 3 from just 1password (which is how it installed), and the script didn't work either way. I tried exporting the Roboform data to an html file and then importing it into 1password 3, and it just crashes the application. Am about ready to give up and wait for a version that perhaps will work for a newbie like me.

• gius
    gius
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk I'm on Mavericks and as you suggested doesn't work at all. In terminal I got this error message:" 1Password[7098:d07] Failed to obtain database timestamp: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "The file “contents.js” couldn’t be opened because there is no such file." UserInfo=0x100487ce0 " but 1Password3 will be launched and it seems to work, but after, on import I got this error "Failed to interpret the output of the import script".

In the meantime I tried to save my logins manually as I open the urls as someone else suggested, but after 2 months I haven't finished. I have a lot of it :-( Please Help me, I bought 5 lic of 1Password and I do not want to renew Roboform again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gius,

I'm sorry you're having a rough time getting your RoboForm data into 1Password 4.

Which version of 1Password 3 are you using? I'm not getting errors like you've mentioned when I run this command in Terminal to open version 3.8.22:

env PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin '/Applications/1Password-3.8.22.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password'

Can you post the exact command line that you're running there?

Which version of RoboForm (for Mac or Windows?) did you use to "export" your data? And did you use this procedure from the RoboForm Manual to save Passcards to an HTML file?

8. Print List of Passcards.

In the RoboForm Editor click big RoboForm button -> Print List... -> Logins. A dialog appears that previews the printed list of Passcards. You can click the Print button to print what you see or click Save to save it to an HTML file.

Version 6.9 should have to "full URLs" option that needs to be selected. It apparently isn't possible to save complete Passcard data with 6.10 and newer versions.

Finally, do you currently have access to a Windows PC where you could temporarily install 1Password 4 for Windows? That might be an alternative to using 1Password 3 for Mac to do the importing.

Thanks in advance for the additional information. Wish I had an immediate solution to offer; we'll keep looking for something that will work for you!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

If you do have access to a PC, note that you can use 1Password for Windows for free (in trial mode) for purposes of the import.

(As @sjk writes, you'll need to use Roboform 6.9 or earlier to "print your passcards to HTML"; for some reason, they removed the critical full URLs option from later versions.)

Once they're imported, you could sync or copy the .agilekeychain folder of imported Login items from the PC to your Mac. I believe that double-clicking on the synced or copied .agilekeychain folder on your Mac will cause 1Password for Mac to open it, prompt for the master password, and create a new vault.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for elaborating on the Windows option, @DBrown. :)

A bit of clarification about this:

Once they're imported, you could sync or copy the .agilekeychain folder of imported Login items from the PC to your Mac. I believe that double-clicking on the synced or copied .agilekeychain folder on your Mac will cause 1Password for Mac to open it, prompt for the master password, and create a new vault.

Configuring Dropbox sync in 1Password 4 for Mac with an existing .agilekeychain will merge data with the current vault. Opening an .agilekeychain (e.g. by double-clicking) will prompt for its master password, create a new secondary vault, and configure folder sync for that vault with the .agilekeychain.

But we don't know yet if @gius‌ will reach a point where that will matter. :)

• gius
    gius
    Community Member
    Options

SOLVED :-)

Here the steps I did:

1. I downloaded Roboform for windows version 6.9.99 here http://www.oldapps.com/roboform.php
    2. installed on a windows machine (in my case i did it through VM as virtualbox)
    3. [On a Mac] I copied the entire folder with logins .rfp files
    4. [On a PC - Roboform] to import the logins, I used the Restore functionality >Options>User Data>Restore (selecting the previously copied folder)
    5. [PC - Roboform] Edit Passcards > Print List (important "Full URL" checked) > Save
    6. [Mac 1Password 3.8.22] very important as @sjk wrote, run this command in Terminal to open version 3.8.22: env PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin '/Applications/1Password-3.8.22.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password'
    7. [Mac 1Password 3.8.22] I created a new vault
    8. [Mac 1Password 3.8.22] Import > Roboform Passcards - Following the wizard
    9. [Mac 1Password 3.8.22] Export All Interchange File...
    10. [Mac 1Password 4] Import Interchange file .pif (I suggest to choose a folder name to better manage the imported logins
      )

I Hope this can help other users.

Thank you @sjk @DBrown‌

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @gius,

Thank you so much for tackling this and sharing step-by-step details of your successful effort -- impressive! :)

3. [On a Mac] I copied the entire folder with logins .rfp files

Were those files created with RoboForm on a Mac, and which version?

10. [Mac 1Password 4] Import Interchange file .pif _(I suggest to choose a folder name to better manage the imported logins

)_

Just a reminder that 1PIF files contain unencrypted data so it's strongly recommended to securely delete them after they've been used.

Thanks again!

ref: DOCS-154

• gius
    gius
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @sjk,

1. [On a Mac] I copied the entire folder with logins .rfp files

Were those files created with RoboForm on a Mac, and which version?

I'm an old user of Roboform. In past I used Roboform only on a pc and after I installed even on Mac.
    I bought their licence called everywhere, (with a backup/sync on their servers, what I dislike).

Those files are on a PC and even on a Mac (usually here /Users/user1/Documents/My RoboForm Data/Default Profile)

• I have Roboform (mac) Version: 1.8.4 [s-f]
    • License: Everywhere

Just a reminder that 1PIF files contain unencrypted data so it's strongly recommended to securely delete them after they've been used.

Done, thanks.

The same is for Roboform html. I would suggest to open the .html with textedit or notepad and delete the content. After you can trash it.

Thanks again :-)
    Ciao

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Howdy @gius,

Thanks for that extra info. I was wondering how feasible it would be for 1Password to directly process RoboForm's .rfp files, but maybe they contain encrypted data.

The same is for Roboform html. I would suggest to open the .html with textedit or notepad and delete the content. After you can trash it.

Good call. :)

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

This discussion has been closed.