1Password not syncing between Macs (Dropbox, Mavericks)

13»

Comments

• scidoc
    scidoc
    Community Member

Thanks, oversoul. I did what I dreaded, and it worked. I followed your "Starting over" instructions on each computer, deleted the library files, and deleted the program, repaired permissions, restarted, and download fresh copies of 4.09 and re-installed on all three computers. That seems to have fixed it. So far. Next test will be of the iOS.

• scidoc
    scidoc
    Community Member

Hi,

Fixed on the Mac, not on the iPhone. I sent you a diagnostic report from the mac. How do I send you info from the iPhone?

• scidoc
    scidoc
    Community Member

ps. I can WiFi sync.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @scidoc.

Thanks for sending the report. I think that's all we'll need to help you fix the problem with Dropbox syncing on your iPhone. More details upcoming in email. :)

• igal27
    igal27
    Community Member

I posted earlier in this thread, and am unfortunately back... The sync is apparently broken again. I'm not sure when it happened -- by chance I had to log into a site this morning at work for which I changed the password yesterday evening at home, and realized that 1P at work still had the old password (luckily I had chosen a password I remembered now, and not used one of the complex ones suggested by 1P -- otherwise I would be locked out of the account now!).

I checked via the 1P html file in dropbox and see that it also has the old password stored, so that means that 1P on my home Mac did not sync the database to Dropbox. Around the same time as I changed the password for that site, I also uploaded a number of files to Dropbox, all of which are in my Dropbox at work -- so no problem with Dropbox sync either at home or at work -- the problem is with the 1P keychain syncing to Dropbox. Both computers (MacBook Pro at home, iMac at work -- both recent models from ~ 1/2 a year ago) are running Mavericks and 1P 4.0.8. I see a few references in the thread to 4.0.9, but the App Store doesn't show me any update from 4.0.8. Were the 4.0.9 references mistakes, or are those beta versions?

I just tried changing a password now in one item in 1P on my work computer, and see that under Sync in Preferences, it tells me that the keychain was just synced a few seconds ago. But accessing the item I changed via the 1P file in dropbox shows that it still has the old version (i.e. the item was NOT synced).

I tried modifying the same item on my iPhone, and after Dropbox sync completed, this change WAS reflected in the Dropbox (web) version of 1P (but it did not sync back to my work Mac).

This is getting quite frustrating. 1P used to work well, and now I have to worry all the time that things I'm saving won't get synced -- which rather defeats the purpose of having a program like this...

I'll send an e-mail in parallel to this post with a diagnostics report from my work Mac.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @igal27.

I'm sorry this pesky bug has returned to bite you again.

About 4.0.8 vs. 4.0.9. They're essentially the same, with 4.0.8 being the Mac App Store distribution and 4.0.9 being the Agile Web Store distribution.

However, the MAS version is sandboxed and may be the reason behind troubles you and other folks have been experiencing with Dropbox syncing, as mentioned in @Megan's recent post in: Dropbox sync silently fails.

I'll be following up with you more in email with different suggestions for resolving this than previous ones that haven't been successful up to now. Your patience is appreciated!

• docsatish
    docsatish
    Community Member

I am new to this forum, and looking for help syncing across dropbox. I have the latest versions of 1pass on my devices/computers

I have a iMac - syncing working fine
    iphone - syncing working fine
    Macbook Air - this is where I have the problem. It will not sync and get the latest updates. I have it syncing with dropbox. The weird thing is that if I add a entry into 1pass on this macbook air, the entry will propagate to my iPhone and iMac.
    But my entries from my iPhone will not propagate to the macbook air.

I have read other posts and followed instructions for deleting and starting over. After doing that and syncing with dropbox, I am still getting the same entries prior to deletion. I have gone dropbox website and checked the 1pass file, and it does have the most updated information.
    I am using the App store version of 1password, and I am using the standard 1password directory in dropbox.

any help would be appreciated.

• chalk
    chalk
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

I'm having the same issue. If this is all related to the sandboxing issue, is there anyway we can get a valid license key so that we can uninstall the appstore version of 1password and install using the dmg installer directly from agilebits? This is very frustrating since syncing logins/secure notes between computer was my main reason for purchasing this software. I was about to go down the path of a full reinstall on all 4 of my machines + iphone + ipad (which as you know is extremely annoying and time consuming), when I chanced upon this thread. Given that agilebits hasn't been able to fix this in 3 mos, it seems pretty reasonable to either get a refund so we can purchase a license and install the non-MAS version, or just get a license to install the non-MAS version.

fyi, I'm using 1password MAS v4.1 on my macs, and am running mavericks on all of them as well.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member

Chalk, just in case this is your issue, it seems that each new version of Mavericks, now 10.9.1, breaks the Dropbox syncing on the mac. In preferences it it says syncing has occurred but if you check your Dropbox folder you'll see that it hasn't. I just saw that this has occurred on both my wife's and my computer. What worked was going to syncing and disable it, then re-enable syncing, select Dropbox and you'll get the dialog box to select the folder - Dropbox - and then continue. This will reset the sync again. I had to do this on both our computers and syncing is now working correctly. Some others found that this fix wasn't permanent but for me it has been, but when 10.9.2 is released I believe it will happen again and I'll have to repeat the process.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @docsatish,

Welcome to the forums, I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble keeping things synced up lately. It sounds to me like your MacBook Air might be syncing to a different location than the rest of your devices. Could you please confirm these few things for me:

• Dropbox is installed and running on both computers
    • You are signed to Dropbox in with the same account on all computers and devices
    • Please make sure the sync location in Preferences > Sync is the same on both your computers.

If these things all check out, we'll need to see some Diagnostics Reports to pinpoint the problem - thanks so much for your patience as we work to sort this out :)

Hi @chalk,

Again, I sincerely apologize that you've been having trouble with this bug. I know it's a nasty one! I would be happy to help you migrate from the Mac App Store version to the webstore version if you would like. We have a support article on how to Migrate from the MAS to web store version.

As far as licenses go, we would prefer if you could request a refund from Apple for the Mac App Store license and then re-purchase from our store. Unfortunately, we can't process refunds ourselves for items sold on Apple's App Store. Apple maintains all control over transactions including refunds. You'll have to click the Report a Problem link on the receipt they sent you, and request the refund from them. It is also their sole discretion to grant a refund. It's kind of like buying a Sony TV at Target, you have to take it back to Target, not Sony. In this case, we're the TV, and Apple is Target. However, if Apple cannot help you, please email your receipt to support@ agilebits .com and we'll generate a web store license for you.

and @pappjo,

I know we've discussed this in another post, but thanks so much for adding your thoughts here. I do want to re-iterate that our developers are committed to getting this squashed just as soon as possible. :)

• kirbysdl
    kirbysdl
    Community Member

Still happening in v4.1. I just sent in a diagnostic report. Hope it helps!

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

There seems to be a variety of issues relating to where the 1Password keychain file is actually stored. For me on 3 separate computers each set up with the new version 4 the keychain was in the Dropbox folder, not within a subfolder within Dropbox. Everything worked well for a while until any of the computers were restarted ( all are on Mavericks ) this broke the syncing even though the 1Password preferences would say that a sync had occurred, it had not.

I finally got it working again after reading through all these posts and realizing that I did not have a subfolder in Dropbox for "1Password" that contained the 1Password keychain. So on all 3 computers I manually created a folder called 1Password within the Dropbox folder and then moved the 1Password keychain file into it. Then went back to disabling sync, reselecting Dropbox and this time selecting the "1Password" subfolder I had just created which now contains the file. After doing this syncing was successful and has continued through several restarts of each computer. I had an explanation given to me about this but it's a little over my head but somehow not having that subfolder was creating my issue. I don't think that should be necessary since on 3 separate computers the installation of 1Password 4 didn't create such a folder on its own then why is it required. But this seems to be an issue between 1Password and how Mavericks works. Hopefully there will be a permanent solution for all.

But for now having a separate "1Password" folder within the main Dropbox folder and having the 1Password keychain file within it has fixed the issue at least for now. Prior to creating that separate folder I did find error messages in Console when I was directed there by one of the support guys. After creating the subfolder and selecting it for the sync I no longer saw those messages.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

Hi, @kirbysdl.

Thanks for your email with the Diagnostics Report. I tacked on one more reply to you after Chris'.

There's discussion related to @pappjo's last reply here (#73) in his similar topic:

Dropbox Sync Fails After Restarting Computer [confirmed, MAS sandboxing bug]

Thanks, @pappjo.

The short version is summarized in this Announcement post, which we'll update with any additional information:

1Password Losing Sync Permissions after System Restart [MAS]

This is a good spot to wrap up this three-page topic and close it. If anyone has other Dropbox syncing issues we'd like them to get fresh coverage and not be muddled up with what's already here. :)

• LTParis
    LTParis
    Community Member

I am having an issue as well. I sync to PC, iOS, and Mavericks (my newest MBP 13 running Mavericks is my primary machine). MAS version of 1P.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @LTParis,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting things synced up. Please see the article above about 1Password losing permissions to sync after a system restart.

Ensure that you are updated to 1Password 4.1.2, which is the latest and greatest version from the Mac App Store, then go to Preferences > Sync and reset Dropbox syncing. This should get things behaving for you!

Let me know if you are still seeing problems after resetting sync and we'll do some further investigating.

• Justin Dixon
    Justin Dixon
    Community Member

Is there any progress on this fix? Or are we still just relinking dropbox every few days?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi Justin,

Are you having trouble with Dropbox syncing failing in 1Password after restarting your Mac(s) with the 4.1.2 update? That bug should now be resolved in 4.1.2, as mentioned in the update to this article:

1Password 4.1 Losing Sync Permissions after System Restart [MAS] - resolved with 4.1.2 update

This discussion has been closed.