IPBoard questions: "You do not have permission to view this forum"

Locker
Locker
Community Member
I get "You do not have permission to view this forum" when I click on the names of the main Forums categories: "General", "Knox for Mac", and "AllBookmarks".

I think it is not intentional but some setup issues. I don't see that problem when I click on the "1Password" one.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Locker it maybe something in relation to your account. I logged into the forums via the wife's login and I could access any of the forums. I don't have access to the settings needed to check your permissions. Sorry, Ill have to leave this for roustem.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2010
    Locker wrote:

I don't see that problem when I click on the "1Password" one.

It had the permission error shortly after this forum came online but I hadn't checked it again and am glad to know it's fixed. Like you, I still get the error with the others.

What I'd really like is a version of View New Content that only listed topics in "1Password 3 (Leopard and Snow Leopard)", "1Password for iPhone", and "iPod touch and iPad, 1Password 3 BETA builds" since I'm currently only interested in topics in those three subforums. And an RSS feed just for Announcements, with only AWS folks being allowed to post in that subforum so non-AWS responses wouldn't end up in the feed. I can only find the Community Calendar feed, which isn't serving any purpose (yet)
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2010
    thightower wrote:

I logged into the forums via the wife's login and I could access any of the forums.

It's most categories that list forums that have a permission issue, e.g. Knox for Mac, not the (sub)forums that list topics. Confusion of terminology? Even the message is misleading:

[#103139] You do not have permission to view this forum.

A forum of forums? :)
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2010
    DOH

Now I see what you are talking about, I wasn't clicking on the header just the forum its not just you guys, it looks like its affecting even us moderators, must be broken links or somethin :blink:

Roustem where are you at :unsure: probably with his head buried in xcode or someting. :P
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    It's not important for for me since I first click View New Content to list those topics, then use Go to first unread post links (to the left of topic subjects) to open any topic of interest in a new background tab to eventually look at. I can plow through a lot of topics, resuming any in progress where I last left them, in a relatively short time that way and forum software without that (or similar) functionality seems crippled. If anyone is using a more efficient method to achieve the same result please share it. :)
  • "You do not have permission to view this forum."

I joined this forum a couple of days ago and am receiving that error message quite often when
    navigating from one section or thread to another. I just click back and then try it again, and
    often time I can then move where I want to.

Glitches! I hope someone is looking into it. Perhaps an "About the Forum" section is needed,
    so folks can ask questions, and also know where to look for answers. If something like this
    is present already, I haven't seen it.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    We are looking at the forum permissions and thank you for bringing this to our attention. As you already know, if you click on the sub-forums, you should be able to access the threads and discussions, but we are trying to figure out why the permissions seem to work on the 1Password forum but not General, Knox for Mac, or AllBookmarks. All I can say at the moment is that we are aware of the problem and are "on the case." :-)
  • MikeT
    edited September 2010
    Hi guys,

Do anybody still have a problem with the forum permissions? I'd be happy to look into it.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

Hi guys,

Do anybody still have a problem with the forum permissions? I'd be happy to look into it.

Every once in a while I will receive an error nothing I can pinpoint, so at this point I would say its probably not worth your time, at least for me anyway.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    The "[#103139] You do not have permission to view this forum." problem mentioned earlier still exists, but that's insignificant to me.

What's more significant is my stubborn inability to ignore the extra amount of vertical scrolling required to bypass redundant, full top/bottom quoted text in replies just to view new content, especially when the quoted text is significantly longer than the new. I don't see value in that style of quoting on forums, unless that much redundancy helps recall context during RSS feed viewing and when full-quoted replies are reasonably far away from original posts. I'm wondering if it's possible to write a Safari extension that toggles forum quoting off/on, similar to what Ricky Romero ShutUp-based extension does with site comments. :cool:
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    The "[#103139] You do not have permission to view this forum." error is something we have not been able to sort out. We had a go at it, but since it is not directly affecting our ability to use the forums, we could only spend so much time on it. One would think it would be a simple matter of resetting the permissions...but they just don't want to stick. :-(

Meantime, clicking directly on a forum subcategory rather than a forum category should continue to do the trick.
  • sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    khad wrote:

…, we could only spend so much time on it.

Thanks for looking into it and the explanation.

If AWS ever finds "extra" time, and it's relatively easily possible, I'd still like an RSS feed just for Announcements. :)
This discussion has been closed.