Possible to get 1password to work with sites that ask for "3rd and 6th character of password"?

Hi everyone, first time caller :)

My online banking service has two parts to its login. A standard account name/date of birth pair, and then a second page which shows the master password broken down into drop-down selectors, asking me to "select the 3rd and 9th letters of your master password".

Is it possible for 1password to work with such pages?

I've got a few sites that do this. The one above, it actually displays a row of asterisks and the ones you're required to enter are displayed as drop-down inputs. Another site I use simply has 2 empty boxes, and above the two boxes it says "enter the 3rd and 9th letters of your password".

I doubt if it's possible, but I'd love it if someone has been able to work out how to do it :)

Thank you!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @evilpants! Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to automate such a procedure, so you'll need to enter the characters manually. There is no standard for these things, and websites don't present them in a way that 1Password can programmatically read. One thing you can do to make it easier is to save the password as a Secure Note with each character numbered:

It's very low tech, but we'll continue to look at ways to make this type of site easier to work with. I'll let the developers know you will appreciate any improvements we make in this area.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help!

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2013

Maybe a tooltip could be shown when the password is in Reveal mode, that shows the characters with their indexes below (kind of like you show above).

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

It's something we certainly wouldn't rule out. Thanks for that mockup, @MrC! :)

• skamble
    skamble
    Community Member

I had same question. Many financial sites (banks) nowadays ask this. Tooltip is a good idea ...and doable. Thanks

• evilpants
    evilpants
    Community Member

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your responses - and khad, thanks for explaining the situation. I do hope the devs will be able to somehow work out how it can be done. In the meantime, I'm taking your advice!

As skamble said, more and more sites, especially ones that major on secure transactions, ask for such info. It often masks poor security - for example, my bank only allows a password to be a MAXIMUM of 7 characters! it "adds" security by making you type two characters in.

I don't know if there's a way of programmatically spotting that around the password field there are lists containing only single characters, and if so to somehow parse what the lists are expecting. It would be so helpful if it could be done somehow.

Thanks again for your responses.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member

I have to say I ran across my first site the other day that did this to one of my accounts. :(

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @skamble, @evilpants and @thightower,

I'll be sure to add your votes for this feature.

• letssurf
    letssurf
    Community Member

I too would like to see something to help with this.
    Something like the image above as buttons where you can click the nth character, maybe keeping the password concealed.
    This could be an option for the type of password, banking passwords allow copying individual characters.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @letssurf,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to pass this along.

This discussion has been closed.