Request: Integrated dropbox support [Already possible with latest Dropbox]

In seeking to setup Dropbox 1Password syncing on the systems I use, I realized what I consider to be a rather serious limitation:

Since Dropbox syncing on the Desktop is accomplished simply by moving the 1Password database to the dropbox folder, it requires that you have Dropbox installed and fully syncing with each system you use. In my case, I have a paid 50GB dropbox account. Now, I really don't want to synchronize this account to all computers I use. In fact, some of them don't even have the space for it. However, if I don't sync all 50 gigs, I can't sync 1Password. What I'd really like to see is 1Password for the Desktop gain the ability to Sync the database directly with the Dropbox service, without having the client installed (in other words, pretty much how the iPhone app works). We shouldn't be forced to sync *all* our data to each system we want to use 1Password on.

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    edited August 2010
    gordon142 wrote:

In seeking to setup Dropbox 1Password syncing on the systems I use, I realized what I consider to be a rather serious limitation:

Since Dropbox syncing on the Desktop is accomplished simply by moving the 1Password database to the dropbox folder, it requires that you have Dropbox installed and fully syncing with each system you use. In my case, I have a paid 50GB dropbox account. Now, I really don't want to synchronize this account to all computers I use. In fact, some of them don't even have the space for it. However, if I don't sync all 50 gigs, I can't sync 1Password. What I'd really like to see is 1Password for the Desktop gain the ability to Sync the database directly with the Dropbox service, without having the client installed (in other words, pretty much how the iPhone app works). We shouldn't be forced to sync *all* our data to each system we want to use 1Password on.

Hi gordon

Thanks for your recommendation, I have a possible alternative for you.

If you want you can always go to the dropbox forums and download the .8 branch currently its .8.95 This branch allows you to selective sync which data goes to which computer. The settings for selective sync are in dropbox's preferences, this branch also has the pause feature. What you would do is set up dropbox like normal link the computer and once the sync starts hit pause. Its in the drop down from the menu bar icon. From there enter the preferences and check or uncheck which data you need on the Mac etc.

The .8 branch is currently still beta but at this stage it is very stable. However standard precautions apply about having a backup of your data. I personally recommend this no matter what.

• gordon142
    gordon142
    Community Member
    Very cool. Thanks for letting me know about the prerelease version.
  • gordon142
    gordon142
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Selective sync has saved my backside so many times, I have a tiny little netbook that I want to sync just a few files too, and before I couldn't do that. It's also really handy for syncing just my 1Password folder to my WIndows 7 install in Virtualbox.

With regards to a more integrated Dropbox sync for 1Password, I'm not sure how extensive the API is for Dropbox and if this extends to the desktop platform as well as the mobile platform as we use this in iOS. I guess we didn't consider this particular scenario in our testing, but I'll mention this to our developers to see if there's anything we can do, of course I can't promise anything in terms of a timeframe for if and when we could do this.

Yes, while thightower's suggestion does solve the issue for me since I use Dropbox anyway, I'm not sure I would want install the full client if I was only interested in Syncing 1Password. It could help make it more attractive to have it be as simple as entering Dropbox account info in 1Password on any system.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    We can only hope your request sees the light of day. I could use it on my mini running as a vpn. Where I dont need the full client myself. Time will tell.
  • benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    Selective sync is clearly the answer. If you're wary of relying on the beta Dropbox client, I think you could achieve the same thing by creating two Dropbox accounts, sharing the 1Password folder between the two, and registering the secondary Dropbox account on the computer that you don't want to sync with the paid account.
This discussion has been closed.