1Password browser drop down can't see the login page

Options

I am using Firefox 25.0.1. I have one login screen that 1Password seems unable to see although when I used the browser add on it happily generated a password for it. The Generated Password section in the main programme correctly shows the url for the log in page for this site and the password and when clicking on the url in that section it will take me to the page and open it for me. I have included the url as an exception in Firefox so that the drop down can be seen but there is no password recorded there, neither does the "+" button enable me to add anything manually. Everything else for every other site works perfectly (and I now have a lot of passwords) so I suspect it is the way the login page for this site is set-up. The site is the mobile phone company O2 which is owned by Telefonica if that gives any other UK posters a clue. I have got used to generating long and safe passwords so now it is a bind to have to do it the old long hand method. I don't understand why it works from Passwords Generated section but isn't saved for use in the browser extension. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry you're having this problem, @qkjb.

Generated Password items are just that: a record of a password created at your request, in case anything happens to prevent creation of a Login item for that site and you need to know what password was generated. As you see, a Generated Password item records only the URL and the password; they're not intended to be used to log in—that's the purpose of Login items. You can click on the URL in a Generated Password item, and 1Password will open your preferred browser and direct it to that location, but the expectation is that you would then use the password, copied from 1Password and pasted into the login form, to get logged in, and that 1Password would offer to save a Login item (or that you'd be able to click the "+" button to trigger the creation of a Login item).

As you've surmised, the coding of some login forms does prevent 1Password from recognizing the presence of fields to be saved, which is why you're unable to save one for that page.

There may be other ways to solve the problem, but here's what I'd do:

1. In 1Password, copy the URL from the Generated Password item, and click the Login+ tool.

2. Paste the copied URL into the Location field, name the Login item, and save it.

3. Copy the password from the Generated Password item, edit the new Login item again, and paste the copied password into the password field.

4. Type your username for that site into the Username field, and save the new Login item again.

I hope that helps, @qkjb. Please let us know how it goes.

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi DBrown,
    Many thanks for your email and sorry to be slow in replying. I followed your instructions and now the url appears in the saved logins with the correct information in the main programme. That means it also now appears in the drop down list in the browser (Firefox latest version) but clicking on it doesn't do anything and the user name and password do not get pasted in to open the site. I still have to copy those items manually to gain access to the site. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Try enabling the Auto-Type option for that Login item. You'll find the Auto-Type option in the dialog box that appears when you select the Login item in the main 1Password program and click the Edit button.

Let us know whether that helps.

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi DBrown.
    I tried that but it made no difference. In fact I got locked out of my account for trying three times with the wrong login information. (The user name and password were blank) I use Firefox as I said earlier not IE by the way. Thanks for your help. I guess I'll have to give up with 1Password on this one. It's odd as it's the only one I have a real problem with in several hundred passwords. Can't win them all.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I don't think I mentioned IE in this thread, @qkjb; let me know if I missed something.

If you have a Login item for the site in question, and the Login contains fields designated as "username" and "password," then you should be able to use one of the following methods, even if the "regular" method isn't working (as is the case with certain types of login forms):

• The Auto-Type option for the entire Login item

• The "auto-type" icons for each of the two fields

• The "copy" icons for each of the two fields

Please let us know if none of those methods work for you. Thanks!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

Try enabling the Auto-Type option for that Login item

In 1Password v1 for Windows, this feature is IE-only. @qkjb is running Firefox. Enabling Auto-Type (for that login item) is not going to help :(

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

@DBrown wrote:

I don't think I mentioned IE in this thread, @qkjb; let me know if I missed something.

@svondutch wrote:

In 1Password v1 for Windows, this feature is IE-only.

That's what I missed. Thanks for the reminder, @svondutch.

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the comments. I am still getting nowhere in Firefox as you will understand.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

I have included the url as an exception in Firefox

Sorry to ask, @qkjb, but can you explain what you mean, or at least how it pertains to 1Password?

the drop down can be seen but there is no password recorded there

Do you mean the site's login form or the 1Password extension window?

neither does the "+" button enable me to add anything manually

It sounds like 1Password isn't recognizing the site'd login form as having fields, or the site uses a type of login form that 1Password cannot fill.

First, launch the main 1Password program, and make sure you have a Login item that points to that URL and contains a value in both the Username and Password fields. (If the password is missing, see my instructions on post #2 above for getting the generated password into the Login item.) Try using that Login item from inside the main 1Password program to see whether 1Password opens Firefox, directs it to the correct URL, fills in the username and password, and submits the form (if you have auto-submit enabled).

Second, please let us know the precise URL of the site's login form, so we can look into what's going on.

Thanks, and Happy New Year!

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

I am still getting nowhere in Firefox

What URL (what web site) are you having this problem?

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi svondutch,

https://businessonline.o2.co.uk/selfcare/app/#Home=selfcare.welcome

It is o2, the UK mobile phone company's web site for business users

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi DBrown
    Thanks for your reply. I have to go out now but I will reply in detail when I get back.

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Hi DBrown

I have included the url as an exception in Firefox

Firefox has the ability to block pop up windows which means you may not be able to see the log in drop down, You can add the web address as an exception under options-general-content-block pop up windows exceptions. I have had to do this for another site to enable 1Password to be seen and work.

the drop down can be seen but there is no password recorded there

Subsequently with your help I added all the information manually in the main 1Password page as you suggested. The url, password and user name could then be see in the 1password extension window but it doesn't insert the information into the site's login page.

It sounds like 1Password isn't recognizing the site's login form as having fields, or the site uses a type of login form that 1Password cannot fill

Agreed. But it does seem odd that every other site works perfectly except this one. However coders are always finding new ways to make things difficult.

First, launch the main 1Password program, and make sure you have a Login item that points to that URL and contains a value in both the Username and Password fields.

Clicking on the url in the main 1password programme takes me to the right log in page but although the password and user name are recorded in the main programme it doesn't insert them or log me in. In fact three abortive attempts locked me out of the site and I had to go through a long process to unlock my account.

As I said above to svondutch the url is

https://businessonline.o2.co.uk/selfcare/app/#Home=selfcare.welcome

I really like 1Password. It does everything I want with password management except this one rogue site. I guess there always has to be one!! Thanks guys for your continued help. It would be nice to find a solution but it is only one site in a couple of hundred.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

We'll look into it, @qkjb, but thanks so much for understanding the difficulty of accommodating (much less anticipating) every quirk of web coding! :/

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi @qkjb

This login page is created in Adobe Flash. I'm afraid 1Password does not support Flash-based logins.

Here's a workaround. Turn on "use Auto-Type" for this particular login item, then fill in Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Starting with 1Password 4 (currently in beta), you can use Auto-Type in any web browser (including Chrome and Firefox and Safari).

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Many thanks @svondutch. I guess that explains it. Adobe Flash is the culprit. I will certainly give that a go and wait happily for 1Password4

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qkjb, you can sign up to join the 1Password 4 for Windows beta program here, if you're interested: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• qkjb
    qkjb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.