Why is 1p suggesting I change my master password on my mac to correct the problem on windows 8?

I hate windows but since my husband uses it and Quicken stinks on a mac I am forced to have to deal with a windows computer .
I have installed 1p on a new w8 machine and it did work for several weeks. I noticed today that the 1p browser was still open when I opened chrome and now there was a red badge on the 1p icon. When I tried to open the program as suggested in your troubleshooting page I couldn't even do that "1p has encountered a problem, c:/.......agilekeychain is not a 1p folder. Changing your master password in the Mac version might correct this problem". Why? IT is long and we both have it memorized and my son even has it to get into our 1p if we can't. The trouble shooting report says "could not sync because the 1p database was replace or was recreated. You can fix this by reinstalling the extension" Did that and it didn't work.

I should explain that dropbox is located in my user folder but I don't know if that is a problem when I'm working in his account since it has worked previously.

Now what?

Comments

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

I just saw another message which mentions the problem syncing 1p between a mac and windows using chrome. Could that be the problem with my windows 8.1 browser extension. I am using the same versions on my two machines as mentioned in the other post. Would that also explain why I can't open the 1p program on the windows machine?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

I'm sorry you're having that problem, @cwb.

It sounds like:

• You have 1Password for Mac.
    • You're sync'ing your 1Password data with 1Password for Windows using Dropbox.
    • Until today, your Logins and other items have been available in the main 1Password program on your PC and in the browser extension on your PC.
    • The name of your 1Password data folder ends with the ".agilekeychain" file extension.

Is that correct?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

Why is 1p suggesting I change my master password on my mac to correct the problem on windows 8?

Your 1Password data appears to be corrupt. Changing your master password on Mac is one of the options that might solve this problem.

Alternatively, you can repair your 1Password data here: File > Repair 1Password Data (on Windows)

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

Thanks so much for the advice. It occurred to me that probably the reason that I couldn’t open 1p on the win8.1 machine was that I was trying from my husband’s account. So I signed on my account since that was where dropbox and therefore the 1p file was actually located. I repaired the password and after rebooting it seemed to work fine since I no longer had the same problem in either account. Then I updated the 1p software and the red alert icon reappeared again using chrome but only in my husband's account . 1p troubleshooting report suggested to reinstall the browser. Did that and although it still works fine in my account, now in my husband's I still get the red alert and then when I sign on it starts syncing but continues for a few minutes until I get unknown error. Now the troubleshooting report again tells me to reinstall the extension which I have done now 3 times.

And yes is the answer to all the questions above. I am a longtime user of 1p on multiple macs and iOS devices which is synced through dropbox reluctantly with windows machines and my 1p file ends with the ".agilekeychain" file extension. And I was not aware of any problem with 1p until the day I posted since my husband didn't seem to notice that there was a the problem with 1p staying open.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @cwb. You write:

I repaired the password...

Do you mean you did the File > Repair 1Password Data command in 1Password for Windows or that you changed your master password in 1Password for Mac?

Then I updated the 1p software...

To what version, please?

in my husband's I still get the red alert...

Is this in Chrome?

when I sign on it starts syncing but continues for a few minutes until I get unknown error

Can you post a screen shot of the error message or describe it to us?

Thanks!

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

" Do you mean you did the File > Repair 1Password Data command in 1Password for Windows"

Yes

"To what version, please?"

"in my husband's I still get the red alert. Is this in Chrome?.."

Yes this time I did not get the "unknown error" message but it is still not working.

**And here is what I get when I try to open 1p from inside my husband's account:

I still can use the chrome 1p browser ext from within my account and open 1p from the w 8.1 desktop. Is this all because I have dropbox in my user account? But if this is the reason it is not working in my husband's account, why did it work previously?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

In the Windows account where the extension appears to be "counting up forever" (Sync'ing: 1265) please remove the extension from within the browser, and then re-install the extension from within the main 1Password program.

In the Windows account where the main 1Password program says "...1Password.agilekeychain is not a 1Password Data Folder" please confirm that Dropbox sync'ing is working as expected and that that account has access to the ...\cindy\Dropbox folder hierarchy.

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

I deleted the browser extension but since I can't open 1password in my husband's account I can't re-install it from there. I have been re-installing it from the chrome extension library which may be part of my problem.

Dropbox is fully functional from within his account and sync is working since that is how I get the screenshots from his computer to mine and then to you. Here is a screen shot of the the folders within the keychain.

I don't know how to open 1p from there since double clicking on the agilekeychain just opens what you see here. Or if I open it from the "open existing 1p data" prompt I get the error message in my last post.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm so glad we've got your problem resolved, @cwb, by confirming that all your computers are using the same Dropbox account and the same sync'ed 1Password data folder.

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

I have been re-installing it from the chrome extension library

Please don't do this. Please (re)install the 1Password extension here: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Browsers

...is not a 1Password Data Folder

Are you still having this problem? If yes, can you please contact me off-list?

stefan AT agilebits DOT com

Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Are you still having this problem? If yes, can you please contact me off-list?

Please see above:

I'm so glad we've got your problem resolved, @cwb...

It's sorted, @svondutch.

• cwb
    cwb
    Community Member

Thanks to the expert help everything is working fine now.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for being such a delight to work with, @cwb!

This discussion has been closed.