Change password of secondary vault [improvements are planned]

Options
JV919
JV919
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Is there any way to change the password of a secondary vault?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @JV919.

There’s currently no easy way to edit vault details (including the password) after creating it, but this article has instructions for doing it a "hard way":

Edit a vault's details

I hope that helps. :)

• JV919
    JV919
    Community Member
    Options

I can't get the procedure to work. When I receive the prompt to create the new vault, it lets me change the name but won't let me change the password. It will only accept the password for the original vault, and when I do enter that password it immediately creates the vault without giving me any options to change anything else. So I wind up with two copies of the secondary vault, the only difference being that the new one has a different name.

What am I doing wrong?

• JV919
    JV919
    Community Member
    Options

I thought the heck with it I'll do this the hard way and create a new vault from scratch, give it the name and password I want, copy the logins over from the existing secondary vault, and then delete the existing vault. Can't do it because 1Password => New Vault is grayed out.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi, @JV919.

I'm sorry those instructions didn't work for you. Instead, please give this a try:

• Configure Folder Sync with the original vault to create a keychain for it, then disable Folder Sync with it (leaving Delete data from the folder disabled).
    • With the primary vault active, create a new secondary vault using the details (e.g. new password) you want.
    • Configure Folder Sync with that new vault using the keychain for the original vault (you'll need its Master Password), merging the keychain data into the vault, then disable Folder Sync (optionally enabling Delete data from the folder to trash the keychain).
    • Optionally select and delete the original vault.

That's my personally preferred method. :)

Can't do it because 1Password => New Vault is grayed out.

Probably because a secondary vault was active. Try it when the primary vault is active, like mentioned above.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!

• JV919
    JV919
    Community Member
    Options

Taking your second response first, I made sure that the Primary vault was selected and got the same results. Or do I misunderstand what you mean by the secondary vault being active?

Regarding switching to Folder Sync, my 1Password folders are in my Dropbox folder and it appears that I can't switch to Folder Sync. 1Password > Preferences > Sync > Change Syncing creates a dropdown that says "Disabling Sync / 1Password will no longer sync Secondary vault with Dropbox. Click on Disable Sync. The Preferences pane now says "Sync Secondary vault with" and click on Folder. Preferences pane now says "Folder Sync" and "choose folder". Open Secondary.agilekeychain and select Continue. The Preferences pane now says "Syncing Secondary vault with Dropbox", putting us back where we started.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi, @JV919.

Let's get this figured out for you. :)

Are you still having trouble creating a new secondary vault because of this issue you mentioned in your previous reply?

Can't do it because 1Password => New Vault is grayed out.

When 1P4 is unlocked and your Primary vault is active/selected you should see something like this under the main 1Password menu if you have at least one secondary vault:

If you're past that, then:

Did or do you have Dropbox Sync enabled for the secondary vault that you want to give a new password? To change the password you'll first need to create another secondary vault with the new password and other details you want. Then you can configure Dropbox Sync for that new vault using the keychain for the original secondary vault to merge all the data into the new vault. After that the original and new vaults should both contain the same data. If you disable Dropbox Sync for the original vault, then delete that vault, you'll have the new secondary vault with the new password. And you can leave syncing preferences configured for Dropbox with that new secondary vault or disable/change them. Each vault has separate syncing preferences.

The main difference between that and my last reply is that you'd be using Dropbox Sync instead of Folder Sync, with the keychain being the intermediary for copying data from the original to new secondary vault.

I hope that's more helpful. :)

• JV919
    JV919
    Community Member
    Options

"To change the password you'll first need to create another secondary vault with the new password and other details you want."

This is what I was talking about in the 31 December post in this thread. Every time I tried to create a third vault 1PW insisted on my giving it the password for the primary vault and then created the new vault with that password, without giving me an opportunity to change anything. I tried again just now and this time it did let me create a new vault with a new name and a new password, but as before it did not let anything else be changed. This was with Version 4.1.3 (413002). Other than that the procedure in your most recent reply appears to have worked.

Thank you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @JV919!

It's still puzzling to me what went wrong earlier but I'm glad you've finally had success creating a new secondary vault with the new name/password you prefer.

Every time I tried to create a third vault 1PW insisted on my giving it the password for the primary vault and then created the new vault with that password, without giving me an opportunity to change anything.

You were using 1Password 4 > New Vault… to create the third vault? That method of creating a new vault should always display this Create New Vault window:

When opening an existing keychain, e.g. double-clicking it when the main app is running, 1P4 displays a sheet like this:

In the first, you can choose the password for the new vault. In the second, the new vault uses the same password as the one that unlocks the keychain.

Had the first method been rejecting any new password you tried to use?

• Marc Tiedemann
    Marc Tiedemann
    Community Member
    Options

has updating the name and the password for vaults been somehow improved with yesterday's otherwise awesome updates?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Marc,

Editing vault details still has to be done the "hard way" with 1Password 4.3, as described/discussed in this topic. Improvements are planned! :)

This discussion has been closed.