Community Member
edited January 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi:

I am using:

os 10.6.8
safari 5.0.5
1 password extension 3.9.20
1 password app 3.8.21

Application works fine but extension in Safari not opening at all.

I have redownloaded extension, uninstalled, reinstalled, restarted Safari, rebooted Mac.

Is this the correct extension version for this version of Safari? If not, which version should I have and where do I download? Is there some other step to take?

thanks.

steppy

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steppy,

I'm sorry to hear that the extension is misbehaving for you! Thanks so much for including all your version numbers in the original post (it makes our lives a lot simpler.)

You are using the correct version of the extension. If you are seeing a "Problem with database" error, please see this post for instructions on how to remove a few little files that should get the extension behaving properly for you.

If you are seeing something different, please give me a bit more detail on what you are seeing so we can better track this issue down. If it's easier, please take a screenshot of what you are seeing. There are instructions on how to take a screenshot here: http://take-a-screenshot.org/. You can save the image to a service like Dropbox or Droplr and include a link in your reply.

• steppy
    steppy
    Community Member

Megan:

thanks for your quick reply.

good to know I am correctly versioned!

I am not seeing ANY error messages. Should I still remove the "few little files"?

Here is a screen shot of a Safari Browser window, (Not much to see though):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4805297/Screen shot 2014-01-07 at 4.34.38 PM.png

Here is screen shot of Safari Extension:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4805297/Screen shot SAFARI Extensions.png

steppy

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steppy,

Let's try this:

• Quit Safari.
    • Open the Finder.
    • Select the Go menu, then Go to Folder.
    • Copy & paste the next line into the prompt, including the tilde symbol.

~/Library/Safari/

• Click the Go button.
    • Delete the Extensions and the Databases folders.
    • Relaunch Safari, and reinstall the extension.

Let me know how this works for you :)

• steppy
    steppy
    Community Member

Megan:

This did not work.

However I have found something that may be useful.

Here is link to screenshots referenced: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4805297/010814_Sceenshots to 1P.zip

1_Library/Sarfari-EMPTY.png is a screen shot shows the Safari directory WITHOUT any database or extension directory.

2_Safari_NO EXTENSIONS.png is a screen shot showing Safari Extensions....there are none installed per this window.

Now here is where it gets a little more interesting. 3_Safari Customize Toolbar.png shows the 1P icon for 1Password and when I drag that to my toolbar i then get what you see in screen shot: 4_1P is back.png This is a different 1P and when I reinstall the extension, I get TWO 1Password icons as you can see in 5_TWO 1P icons.png.

So my guess is there is another extension somewhere that Safari hasn't decided to let go of yet that needs to be removed. Could that be it and if so can you help me search and destroy?

It may be relevant that I also have Firefox and Chrome installed. Chrome is working fine with the key icon and Firefox has the 1P icon.

Thanks for your assistance.

steppy

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steppy,

Thanks so much for that detailed report! In order to properly search and destroy here, I'd love to see a Diagnostic Report. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Using your browser please download a small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool.

http://i.agilebits.com/kyle/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs. (Note: If you use OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you may need to right click the file, choose Open, and click Open on the dialog).

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• steppy
    steppy
    Community Member

Megan:

I am responding to you via support+forum@ agilebits .com

Thanks so much.

steppy

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steppy,

We'll keep the conversation going by email so that things don't get muddled up between here and there :)

This discussion has been closed.