Still can't install 1Password normally

ashleyk
ashleyk
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Android

Whenever I try installing 1Password normally I get a parsing error following the download, so the only method I've found that works is to login at HockeyApp using my Mac and download to my desktop from there. Then I have to upload the installer to my Google drive after which I can access the file on my Android phone and it installs first time with no problems. This is on a Motorola Moto G running Android 4.3.

Comments

• djgdroid
    djgdroid
    Community Member

Not sure why you have to go to all this trouble. This is how I install. I have 1P installed on my rooted Galaxy Nexus 4.3 and my Galaxy Tab 2. I have the hockyapp installed and all I need to do is click on the app, then click on 1password which brings up a screen that lists the latest version and has a button to download. If I'm not running the latest version I click on the download button. Then I just click on the downloaded apk file and it installs.

• I managed to get 1Password installed the first time using that workaround I mentioned. Today as I opened 1Password it advised me there was an update and the download proceeded automatically through the application but after completion there was that usual parsing error, which almost suggests the download itself is corrupted when downloaded via the phone. When the same download file is transferred from my Mac it's fine.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

That's weird, I just replied above and it shows up as Unknown...

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

@ashleyk, as for your forum post, Im not sure why that doesn't show as you. As for the download, have you tried using HockeyApp itself for the download? That might help sort it out at least in the short term. Please let me know how it goes so I can help you make sure you stay up to date. :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

Regarding the forum post I had been logged in for a few hours without posting and when I added the comment it just appeared like that.

Yes I was in touch with the support team at HockeyApp when this first happened and I tried several times to install from there without luck. Basically it downloads to the phone every time but then I get the parsing error so there is no way to install, however I'm not seeing this parsing error with any apps I install from the Google Android store.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

Hi @ashleyk,

Let's double check the easiest stuff first: If you go to => Security->Unknown Sources, there's a checkbox there that needs to be checked. If it isn't, check the box and I'd suggest restarting your device after that and then see if it works. If it's already checked and you know you've rebooted at some point, let me know. There's a few other things we can try. :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

Yes that was taken care of and it wouldn't have worked via the Google drive unless that option was checked.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

Sorry @ashleyk but I had to ask. :) When do you get the error: On downloading the file or on hitting the install button? Can you view the file in your file manager? Let me know more and hopefully we'll get to the bottom of it soon. :)

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

The file appears to download fine to the phone but I get hit afterwards by an immediate parsing error as shown below without the possibility to install:

From what I've seen the download to the phone was around 2MB but if I upload it from the Mac to the Google drive I can access it via the phone and it installs perfectly.

• saad
    edited December 2013

Hi @ashleyk! Thanks for the screenshot. It sounds like the APK file is not being downloaded completely.

• Is your device rooted by any chance? Are you running a custom ROM?
    • Have you heard back from HockeyApp's support?
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

Hi @saad, I've never quite understood what they mean by rooted. This is my first Android device that I bought just a few weeks ago and it's just a bulk standard Motorola Moto G running Android 4.3 that I haven't customised in any way apart from the addition of a few commonly installed apps and 1Password.

HockeyApp basically gave up on this and said they couldn't understand why it wasn't working, which is why I decided to ask here because the parsing errors only ever occur with this particular download and never from the Android store. With this latest update where I already had 1Password installed I received a message asking if I wanted to download the latest version and after clicking yes the download completed in a few seconds but then there was the usual parsing error.

I do have an antivirus software installed called 360 Mobile Security but if that was the problem surely it would be blocking it when I try to install via the Google drive and it would also be flagging the download with some kind of warning, which isn't happening.

• Hi @ashleyk! Thanks for getting back!

It doesn't sound like you rooted your Moto G. And you will definitely know if you rooted your device because it requires extra work.

Would you mind disabling 360 Mobile Security and see if this problem continues to occur? The reason why I am suspecting an antivirus is because it's very possible it is acting more like a firewall and is screening your outgoing and incoming internet traffic. If this problem continues to happen when 360 Mobile Security is not running, we can switch our focus elsewhere!

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

I disabled 360 Mobile security and it made no difference. Below I've attached three separate screenshots showing the HockeyApp where I initiated the download plus the downloaded file in FireFox and finally the Android notification that the download completed. Everything works correctly right up to the moment when I click on the package to install.

• @ashleyk: Thank you for confirming 360 Mobile Security is not the problem and thank you for the additional screenshots. I am going to pass on these details to our developers and see if there is something we can do to overcome this issue you're experiencing.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

@saad I've since uninstalled 360 completely and tried with Trustgo but the problem persists in exactly the same way. I think either application would sound an alert of some kind if a problem was found but that is never the case.

It all points to some kind of file corruption when the installer is downloaded to the phone. Just this moment I've opened 1password and it attempted to download beta 7 but gave the same parsing error.

• @ashleyk: Interesting.. thanks for the update.

Do you have the official HockeyApp app installed? If not, would you mind downloading it here? HockeyApp recommends having their official application installed along with the beta, so it may help. Let me know what you find out!

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

@saad I clicked on your link here directly from my phone and went to the web page but immediately after downloading I was hit by the parsing error, so I tried downloading it first to my Mac and then uploading it to the Google Drive.

From Google drive I was able to install the HockeyApp package on the Motorola without error and sign in, which led me straight to the 1Password installer. I hit the download button and got the parsing error again!!!

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

@saad From Chrome on the Motorola I am able to send you the downloaded installer via email. Would that be useful?

• @ashleyk: Yes, please send us the downloaded file to support+androidbeta@agilebits.com. It will help us determine whether the download is corrupted.

Please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your email in our inbox.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

@saad OK that has been sent just now. Curiously it shows up as just 1MB as an attachment but perhaps that's because the download was 1.95MB and didn't hit the 2MB mark. I mentioned this to one of your developers called Gene not long ago because I have also been seeing some synching issues over dropbox that I reported.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

@saad, OK as a test I just took the same downloaded file from Chrome on the phone and uploaded it to my Google drive. From there I was able to install without any problems and no parsing errors so the problem appears not to be with the download itself but the opening when it physically exists on my phone. Unfortunately that is also blocking direct updates via 1Password.

• @ashleyk: Awesome, so it's definitely not a corrupted download file.

I noticed many others on the web with the Moto G are experiencing the same 'parsing error' when they download applications outside of Google Play. So I am starting to believe this problem is with the security mechanism in Moto G.

According to this forum post on Motorola's website, the only known solution is to install the app from Google Drive or factory reset your phone. Please keep in mind these are not official responses from Motorola, but users have confirmed these methods work.

I also found a video demonstrating a workaround - by using Google Drive here.

Therefore, I am sorry to say you may want to factory reset your phone to see if it helps. You may also want to contact Motorola directly about this matter because an OS update can fix this problem.

Let me know what you find out.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

@saad That video basically shows what I discovered myself and the only workaround is to install it via the Google drive.

Since Motorola are now owned by Google I wonder if this is Google's way of effectively limiting users to apps obtained through their own store. I might just try contacting Motorola directly to ask them what is wrong because some are saying that not even a factory reset fixes this. Will 1Password eventually be available for sale via the Google Android store?

PS I know this phone is due for an update to Android 4.4 in January.

• @ashleyk: I think this is a bug they didn't get a chance to fix. If you find a solution or a workaround, please keep us updated when you get a chance!

Once 1Password is ready to leave the beta stage, it will become available in the Google Play Store to download - so you won't experience this problem.

I really hope the Android 4.4 (KitKat) update addresses this issue. I can just imagine how frustrating this is to users.

• liggerz87
    liggerz87
    Community Member

I also have same phone not rooted or nothing had for 2 days also ticked to install apps outside play it's with every app I try to download

• Thanks for confirming @liggerz87.

That's quite unfortunate. :( Please use the Google Drive workaround until this is fixed. I really hope the Android 4.4 KitKat update will address this issue on the Moto G.

Please keep us updated when it becomes available.

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member

@saad @liggerz87 I've just updated to Android 4.4 and 1Password installed via the HockeyApp like a charm at the first attempt.

• Hi @ashleyk! That's awesome news. :) I am happy to hear this issue was resolved in the KitKat update. Thanks for letting us know.

This discussion has been closed.