Multiple Vaults

Options
minwedar
minwedar
Community Member

I just moved to 1Password today from SplashID and I was really excited about the Vault feature. So I purchased the mac desktop and iOS versions and after allot of failed attempts to get my data imported correctly I finally just decided to do it by hand and enter in each entry. It was odd how some data from the non-encrypted SplashID VID file seemed to import and was usable but most of it came in as "secure notes". (Really wish there was a way to easily convert one type to another such as when you edit a "secure note" to change it to a "login"....that would have made this process allot easier.)

Anyway, I really wanted to get my wife and I in sync finally with all of our accounts so we can both update them on our own devices and I wouldn't have to worry about manually pushing the changes to her desktop and iOS devices. So the Vault feature sounded really cool. So we have separate Dropbox accounts. You can't really have more than one Dropbox account on your device. So I decided we'd use the iCloud since we share an iTunes account and we should see the same iCloud. The first problem is we can only sync the "Primary Vault". OK, I thought that's ok...the Primary Vault will just be all our joint accounts that we both update and need access to. So I created additional Vaults on my system just for my own stuff and for my work. I added another Vault on her system for her stuff. In the desktop you can sync each Vault to a specific place. So since we each had our own Dropbox I sync those additional Vaults to our private Dropbox accounts. so all seemed great, this seemed like it was going to work...but then I went to sync our iOS devices and there is no way to look at these additional vaults.

Am I not getting something with the new "Vault" feature in iOS? I tried turning on both iCloud and Dropbox in iOS but there is no indication of selecting one of the new Vaults I created on the desktop version. I think, from the looks of it, by turning on Dropbox sync on iOS it looks like it just duplicated the primary vault onto my dropbox from what was on iCloud. So what's the deal with the iOS Vaults?

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

Multiple vaults are not yet supported in the iOS version. Many or us are waiting very hungrily for that feature. Speaking of that its time for a late breakfast or early lunch.

• minwedar
    minwedar
    Community Member
    Options

So creating multiple Vaults is not really the way to go if you actually have an iOS device you need to use. Hopefully this is one of the top of the feature list. So far I've been enjoying some of the other features. I really like the crypto blog explaining things, those are really great guys. :-)

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

I would have to say its at the top of the list for the iOS version. I am not privy to those details being non staff. But I can tell you just by visiting the forums almost daily it one heavily requested item. Much more so than anything else.

Ill admit I was also quick to embrace multiple vaults primary (his/hers), his, hers, kids, admin etc

I often have to ask the wife to put one of them back in the Primary vault so I can get access to the details. Luckily for me it only been a select few items.

• 2smart4words
    2smart4words
    Community Member
    Options

I also just purchased 1password today for the combined features of multiple vaults and mobile device support. I have to say that the feature advertising is misleading at best.

Even if you put a positive marketing spin, i.e. (Multiple Vault Sharing Coming Soon!) on the iOS page I would be happy. However, to promise features, let your users spin their wheels for several hours trying to make this work, and then have them find out that "Multiple vaults are not yet supported in the iOS version." in the forum is quite frustrating.

Come on guys - I even read the manual before buying and was under the impression that I could sync multiple vaults to my idevices. If you can't put the positive marketing spin I suggested above, then the manual needs to call out the limitation of only syncing the primary vault. That alone would have saved me hours.

• minwedar
    minwedar
    Community Member
    Options

I've got a good feeling about the Agilebits team after reading several blog posts. I have a feeling they know the importance the mac integration Apple users come to expect. I'm a multiplatform user but I've leaned over on the mac side more and more because I can jump from desktop to phone to tablet pretty seamlessly on so many apps. I never thought I'd start a journal but I found this DayOne app that's sort of like 1Password where there is a desktop, iPad, and iPhone version and with dropbox syncing and the tie into the iOS devices feature (like it will even record your steps for the day with the new mobile chip, location, weather...really ties in allot of the hardware features). Full integration of features across the desktop and mobile platform are essential to making an app really part of your bread and butter set of apps. I think they will get there soon. I've only been using 1Password for a couple days now, trying to get everything entered and it's really pretty slick. My wife was really impressed with being able to open 1Password on the family iMac and press the auto login to get into a site without having to lookup the user and password.

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@minwedar

Since you mention DayOne, I love a third party app that works with it. Its called Slogger by Brett Terpstra I don't know how comfortable you would be with the command line. Its really not that much and I managed to get it setup. So I think the majority of others can as well. Once its setup it runs each day on its own and pull in posts from @Twitter and many many other places.

http://brettterpstra.com/projects/slogger/

• minwedar
    minwedar
    Community Member
    Options

Fascinating! I wish everything had a CLI to it. I'll have to check that out, thightowner. Thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your feedback on multiple vaults! @thightower has said it pretty well already, so I don't have much to do here, but I did want to just chime in briefly.

First of all, I do apologize for any confusion surrounding multiple vaults. We love that so many users have been excited about this feature, and we certainly didn't want this to be a frustration for you. We can't wait to make it available across all platforms. While I can't tell you exactly when multiple vaults will be available for iOS, I can promise that it is right at the top of our To Do list! (I can't wait to see it on iOS either.)

Please let me know if there are any further questions or concerns, we're always here to help!

• minwedar
    minwedar
    Community Member
    Options

On the topic of multiple vaults, a cool feature since when you already have your primary vault open you have access to any other vault 1Password is connect to, is there a way to search all of them at once?

Also, there is one other question I have with vaults. I create one for my wife and I preloaded it with a bunch of entries and to make it easy for her to import it I used a very weak password for it. Once it's imported you always have to use the primary password, which is nice because that one I used a strong one...I just wonder however if there was a way to change the password for the vault left in our share that has that week password. I notice I can import it to other 1password apps with the week password initially so I'm guessing once you set it during creation you can't change it? Seems like I can only change the primary vault password??

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @minwedar,

Thanks so much for the feedback here!

a cool feature since when you already have your primary vault open you have access to any other vault 1Password is connect to, is there a way to search all of them at once?

You're not the only one to suggest an all-inclusive search feature and I'll be sure to add your vote to the list (I think it would be pretty useful too.)

I just wonder however if there was a way to change the password for the vault left in our share that has that week password.

Currently, it is not possible to easily change a secondary vault's details after creation. Here's how to Edit a vault's details the hard way, if you're interested. We are looking into making this a lot simpler in the future though :)

Hope this solves all your questions, but we're here if you have anything further!

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    Options

@minwedar

Just an update to you if you try slogger and experience issues getting it setup there is a helpful post in the github issues section that got it working with Mavericks for me.

Brett is in the process of revamping it to work with newer versions of ruby etc. Which should solve a lot of the issues.

Anyway see https://github.com/ttscoff/Slogger/issues/215 a post midway down from devilgate, I think its his last post.

• minwedar
    minwedar
    Community Member
    Options

@thightower, I haven't had time to really look at Slogger yet. I think I'm using Day One a little differently right now. Just little personal reminders that of what was going on that I probably wouldn't tweet or use other social media. Usually when I post something say on Google+ I post several images at once for say a hacking project or what ever so I don't think it would translate well back into Day One even if Google+ was supported. However, gathering them all up and putting them a plain text Markdown file seems pretty interesting and I might take a look at it out side the Day One app for that reason. One of very many things on a very long list of things. :-P

This discussion has been closed.