Presales questions: What we need—simple, 4 myself&spouse, e.g.retrieval/visibility on request

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

[First: I hope I may delete this meaningless forum ID may be deleted upon aquisition of answers to these questions!] We need:

• Storing, retrieval, and visibility of existing passwords and security questions/answers
  • No forced changes
  • Available retrieval and display of all information in full plain text
  • Use of multiple IDs for myself and spouse (e.g. she has 2 gmail ID, I have 3; I have 3 Yahoo accounts; and on, and on)
  • Storage of “meaningless” information (e.g. associated serial number of a device for a registration account)
  • Easy change to a password generated by ourselves
  • No need for continuous running (battery drain!)
    Likely I'd have other concerns, but I cant't think of them right now. These answers weren't immediately clear from the online documentation or from any discussion threads I could find in an admittedly brief search. If someone has the time and ability to answer these pre-sales questions, I’d truly appreciate the opportunity to graduate from our handwritten notebooks!

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

I know you can't try the iOS version before you buy, but you can do so with the Mac version. If that's an option for you'd, I'd highly recommend it.

I'm not 100% sure I understand all of your needs, but I'm reasonably sure you can do all you want and more with 1Password. It is to bad you can't get demo versions from the iOS App Store.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fjpoblam,

I'd be happy to answer your questions for you! You are, of course, welcome to delete your forum ID if you don't want to continue participating in the discussions here.

We need: - Storing, retrieval, and visibility of existing passwords and security questions/answers - No forced changes

1Password can help you store and organize your existing passwords and security questions. While the desktop version of 1Password 4 does have a nifty Security Audit feature that will show you your old, weak and duplicate passwords, you will never be forced to change any passwords on either the desktop or iOS app.

Available retrieval and display of all information in full plain text

The desktop version of 1Password has options to export and print your entire database. On the iOS app, you can print records as well, but only on an individual basis.

Use of multiple IDs for myself and spouse (e.g. she has 2 gmail ID, I have 3; I have 3 Yahoo accounts; and on, and on)

You are welcome to store multiple IDs for websites (I have collected 4 Google accounts somehow!) The importance here is having a unique naming convention that will make each Login easy to find: "His Google, personal" for example.

Storage of “meaningless” information (e.g. associated serial number of a device for a registration account)

1Password has multiple categories to organize a multitude of types of information, from outdoor licenses to rewards programs. However, in the event that the information you want to store does not have a nice set category, we also have a Secure Notes category where you can jot down all your "meaningless" information.

Easy change to a password generated by ourselves

You are certainly not required to use our fancy password generator. Generated passwords are also editable, so you can add a few digits or change a few characters as you wish. But you are welcome to continue creating your own passwords if you prefer.

No need for continuous running (battery drain!)

There is no need to keep 1Password running if you're not using it. :)

I'd love to help you graduate from handwritten notebooks, so please let me know if you think of any further questions!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Megan: you are very kind, gracious and patient with your answer, and I thank you. The one shortage I see is that, by implication, access to plain text retrieval requires a print operation—it can’t be done on screen. While I can surely understand this as a security measure, it might be a dead-tree waste and an inefficiency for me and mi esposa. (E.g., we share duties in online bill payments and we share interests in some financial and medical matters.) And while iOS is my main squeeze, she prefers her MacOS laptop. We'll have to think carefully about your answers. But, again, I truly thank you!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

How may I now delete this discussions account?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fjpoblam,

I'm glad to hear my answer was helpful for you!

Thanks for the feedback about the plain text retrieval. Just to clarify, with the print option, you can print to pdf and thus prevent a few trees from making the ultimate sacrifice. :)

Now, if this has finally solved all of your questions, I can delete your forum account for you. (Will await your confirmation, just in case!)

If you do have any further questions, feel free to contact us here, or at support@ agilebits .com for some more one-on-one assistance!

This discussion has been closed.