Way to copy Mac data to Windows?

Hello!

I primarily use 1password for my Macs and iOS. I've also got a Windows system that I recently bought 1password for as well. I'd like to get a copy of the Mac's data on the Windows machine. I'd prefer not to use Dropbox. While I admire the syncing capabilities, I'm using file based syncing and WiFi sync (for my iOS devices) to keep things "out of the cloud" for the most part.

Is there any way to get the Mac's data into the Windows client w/o doing the unencrypted export and import?

Thanks!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

Sure! You can just copy the 1Password.agilekeychain "package" from your Mac to your PC (where it'll be a regular folder), and open it with the same master password you use on your Mac.

Important Things to Remember:

• This isn’t sync’ing, so don’t create new Logins or save other data in 1Password on your PC, because they won’t make it back to the Mac or iOS devices.

• Be sure to copy the entire 1Password.agilekeychain package, not just its contents.

• Be sure to retain the .agilekeychain extension on the Windows copy; otherwise, 1Password won’t recognize it as a valid 1Password data folder.

• DO NOT copy a 1Password.agilekeychain folder onto an existing 1Password.agilekeychian folder. The “merged” results will contain inconsistent metadata, and some or all of your data may be inaccessible to 1Password.

Dropbox is looking pretty good now, right? ;)

• JC_Denton
    JC_Denton
    Community Member

Actually, it's pretty easy with pscp :)

Thanks for the info!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

You're most welcome, @JC_Denton!

If I were using any drag-and-drop substitute for true sync'ing, I'd be particularly concerned about the first and fourth potential "gotchas." They introduce the biggest risk of data loss.

Good luck!

• JC_Denton
    JC_Denton
    Community Member

While file based syncing on Windows would be nice. (A feature request, maybe?) I use the Windows box pretty sparingly, so I think it's going to be a read-only sort of setup.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

Technically, file-based sync'ing is exactly what 1Password uses.

It opens the locally stored .agilekeychain folder you select, with no knowledge of how (or even whether) that folder is sync'ed to other 1Password installations.

This discussion has been closed.