Scope Logins by Subdomain

Options
Felix Buenemann
Felix Buenemann
Community Member

It would be great if there was an option in 1Password to scope login suggestions to the full hostname instead of the domain. I have several hundred logins for subdomains of a single domain, because I work for a web shop and all our staging systems are running under the same domain, eg. project1.example.com, project2.example.com and the default suggestions are pretty much useless like this.

Comments

• lukasrueegg
    lukasrueegg
    Community Member
    Options

Absolutely +1

This is really a show stopper...

• mohnid
    mohnid
    Community Member
    Options

I also vote for this enhancement, even if I only have about 10 subdomains...

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Felix, @lukasrueegg, and @mohnid,

Thanks for adding your voices here. We've heard a lot of users mention that 1Password needs to be handling subdomains more expertly, and we're certainly looking into ways to make this behaviour better in the future.

In the meantime, I do apologize for the inconvenience - I've run into this one as well, and I know how annoying it can be!

• jacobp
    jacobp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all - I reported this during the beta cycle for 1Password 4 back in Aug 2013 in this thread here. http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/14409/subdomain-site-matches-all-sites-within-the-domain-with-command-will-be-improved

This was regression in behavior from 1Password 3...

• Felix Buenemann
    Felix Buenemann
    Community Member
    Options

@jacobp I think these are two related issues, but not the same. I think there are two possible solutions: 1. List exact hostname matches first or 2. allow to only show exact hostname matches via a pref setting. 1. is probably easier to implement, because it requires no UI changes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jacobp,

Thanks for checking in on us! This is certainly something that is on our radar, and we'll do our best to improve 1Password's behaviour here. Unfortunately, I don't have many more details than that right now. We very much appreciate your patience :)

• jacobp
    jacobp
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @megan & all - I just saw the release notes for Version 4.2.BETA-2 and tested out the addition of the "Lenient URL matches" option. Much better - working as I remember it in v3! Hooray!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jacobp,

I'm so glad to hear that 1Password's URL matching is getting better! Thanks for helping to test things out :)

• cbmackay
    cbmackay
    Community Member
    Options

A thousand times: this. It’s been killing me for ages. It makes saved passwords effectively impossible to find.

Similarly, I’ve a client whose business name is an acronym that is contained in the word “email”, which makes it impossible to find logins for, too.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cbmackay,

I hope the next update makes finding passwords so much simpler for you then :) Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here!

This discussion has been closed.