Extra Identity is Displayed in Browser's Extension

Options

While using the browser's extension, I noticed there is an extra Identity titled "New Identity".

Clicking on details results in nothing other than the identity's name. This identity is not listed in the synced iOS version or the Windows version. I checked the Windows version's Unassigned folder, Trash folder/bin, All folder, and under Identities there is no Identity named "New Identity". The only Identities that exist are the ones I created (Work and Personal).

Does this fall in the category of don't worry about it, or go back and read page X of the user guide, or don't add new information until the Browser's Extension/the Windows version/and the iOS version are all properly synced, or something else?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Theloc, are you using Firefox, by any chance?

If so, please try this:

1. In Firefox, remove the 1Password extension.

2. Delete Firefox's temporary copy of your 1Password data:

a. Type this in the Firefox address field:

about:support

b. Press Enter.

c. Under Application Basics, click the Show Folder button.

d. Quit Firefox.

e. In the Explorer window that appears, go "up" one level to the parent folder.

f. Drag the OnePassword.sqlite file from that folder to the Desktop.

3. In 1Password, re-install the Firefox extension.

Once everything is working well, you can safely move the OnePassword.sqlite file on the Desktop to the Trash.

• Theloc
    Theloc
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @DBrown, I'm using Chrome, but your reply got me thinking (and I'm embarrassed I didn't just try this prior to posting).

After reading your reply I deleted the extension from Chrome and then re-installed it using Preferences from the Windows version, and everything has returned to a correct state.

Thanks!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

That’s great news, @Theloc—thanks for letting us know!

As far as I know, Firefox is the only one of the supported browsers that caches your 1Password data, updating it only as often as it thinks updates are needed, so I'm not sure why your solution worked. I guess sometimes a swift kick in the backside it just what it takes.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Firefox is the only one of the supported browsers that caches your 1Password data

The browser extensions for 1Password 3 do cache the 1Password data in all web browsers. Firefox is the only one that does not delete this database when you un-install the 1Password extension (all other web browsers do).

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I see. Thanks for the clarification, Stefan!

This discussion has been closed.