Inconsistincies between Mobile and Windows versions

wayner
wayner
Community Member
edited February 2014 in 1Password 4 for Windows

I initially started using 1Password on my iPhone as a replacement for Password Keeper on my BB. I started also using it on iPad and Windows. But there seem to be some significant inconsistencies between Win and iOS versions, such as:

Wireless Routers on iOS show up as Accounts on Win

Passports on iOS show up as Wallet items on Win

Credit Cards on iOS show up as Wallet items on Win

There is no Wallet on iOS.

Social Security shows up as Wallet items on Win

Is there any way to change the Win version to be more like the iOS version? I have tried adding New Folders but that doesn't quite work.

It would also be nice if the icons were consistent between different OSes.

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

1Password 4 for Windows will include many changes to make it feel more like its brethren on the Mac and iOS devices (which also differ from each other in ways, to be sure).

We will continue working to get 1Password on all supported platforms more similar in as many ways as possible, so that using it on multiple platforms causes less of a jolt to our users. As you can imagine, that'll be a lengthy process...and will never truly end, as new features will always be introduced on one platform or another, leaving the others to catch up.

Thanks for understanding @wayner!

• wayner
    wayner
    Community Member

OK, thanks DBrown. I look forward to the Windows update. Other than these issues I find this to be a great product! And as someone who live in T.O. it is great to support a local product!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

:)

Be sure to sign up for the beta program, if you're interested: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Why do you introduce new features only on specific platforms? Why not implement them across all platforms. Easier to keep it consistent that way. :)

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I imagine it's mostly because the platforms themselves change at different times—new versions of iOS and Mac OS aren't released simultaneously (thank goodness), and there's no coordination with new versions of Windows, of course.

Don't forget that we offer 1Password alone on Mac OS X, Windows, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone, and we're a relatively small group of hard-working lads and lasses, as it is. :)

Thanks for understanding!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ah ok. I didn't realise that (and still don't really understand why) 1p features are so tightly tied to OS features.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

Just as an example, 1Password's ability to communicate with the browsers differs among the various OSes, each of which imposes its own limitations. Each new version of an OS, not to mention the various sync mechanisms, brings the possibility of new incompatibilities, as well as the opportunity for new features. It's not as simple as it must seem. :)

This discussion has been closed.