iTunes File Import (Windows)

I recently bought 1password for windows and tried to import my keyfile (windows pc) via iTunes on my ipad. Unfortunately it did not work. I looked in the faq and, if I am not wrong, it is not possible with 1password for windows.
So my three questions:
1) is this correct respectively
2) when will it work respectively?
3) why don't you go the way like toopassword (zip import via itunes on windows pc)

Thank you very much!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Quintain, what's a keyfile?

More important, perhaps, are you trying to import login credentials from another password-management program, share and sync your 1Password data with 1Password on another machine, or something else?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

You don't need to import your keychain on your iPad. What you need to do is setup Dropbox sync: http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_Windows/setting-up-Dropbox-sync.html

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

@Quintain, the link posted by @svondutch describes the second thing I thought you might be trying to do: share and sync your 1Password data with 1Password on another machine. It points to one of the handful of tutorials in the 1Password for Windows user's guide.

We always recommend new users take a few minutes to read the “Introduction,” “Getting Started,” and “Tutorials” sections of the user’s guide, accessible from the Help menu and in the Support area of our web site. They’re short (and a tad out of date, in a couple of places), but they’re still the quickest way to get the most out of 1Password. As you use 1Password, we believe you’ll find the information in the “FAQ” section to be of use, as well.

• Quintain
    Quintain
    Community Member

@DBrown: sorry for being back so late. Sorry also for posting "keyfile" instead of your term keychain respectively meaning the whole folder of 1password (I think the meaning was clear) . Unfortunately I left the impression that I would not read instructions and that I am a newbie not knowing what to do. I must confess, that I have to ask a more specific. I don't want to use dropbox or a cloud service because of security reasons (I know that we Germans have a different view concerning this). So the answer of svondutch is useful for dropbox users but not for me.
    I (as a windows user) just want to use it via iTunes directly. But (see my originally question) after reading (really!) the faqs I can't see a way doing this.
    So I asked (maybe I have overlooked something) why it is not possible handling this like the program toopassword (http://toopassword.com/): zipping the keychain and then transfer it as one file via iTunes into 1password on my iPhone and iPad? I hope that I was now more specific and look forward to your reply,

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the clarification, @Quintain!

The reason there's nothing about iTunes sync'ing in the user's guide is that the feature is not available.

Dropbox is the only sync mechanism available in 1Password for Windows.

• Quintain
    Quintain
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

Ok, then I would like to propose to take alternative sync mechansims on the roadmap for coming up updates. E.g. see the tiny program toopassword with the easy zip import (but read only). Thank you very much!

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the request, @Quintain.

1Password 4 for Windows, currently in beta development, adds the option to sync manually over a temporary wi-fi connection to the 1Password app on a mobile device, such as an iPhone.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

By the way, the method of manually exporting login credentials from one program, zipping them up, and importing them into another is not sync'ing; it's a one-way copy.

1Password already includes an import feature. You can read about it in the "How do I import data into 1Password?" article in the "FAQ" section of the user's guide, accessible from the Help menu and in the Support area of our web site.

This discussion has been closed.