Syncing to other locations than dropbox and icloud

macsavage
macsavage
Community Member

I've been asking for this feature for awhile. It works on the mac but still not available on the IOS. I use Owncloud on MY server and would like to access the same database from ALL my devices without resorting to wifi sync which doesn't work consistently at this point.

Will it ever be a feature? Let me know, so I can stop asking.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macsavage,

Thanks so much for checking in on us! Unfortunately, I don't have much of an update for you. This is not to say that we aren't interested in alternative sync solutions, but in general we make it a policy to not discuss un-released features. There are just too many factors involved in implementing major features, and many of these factors are completely beyond our control. We'd hate to promise something that ultimately became impossible to deliver. :)

I can tell you though that alternative sync solutions are most definitely on our radar. We know how important secure syncing is to our users, and will continue to explore options! If you come across any good solutions (like OwnCloud) please let us know.

And in the meantime, if you'd like some help in troubleshooting Wi-Fi sync, I'd be happy to help!

• macsavage
    macsavage
    Community Member

I do use OwnCloud to sync 1Password between two macs with no issues. I'm just looking to be able to use the same database on IOS. OwnCloud already has an IOS app which is installed on my iPhone already.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macsavage,

I'll be sure to mention to our developers that you're keen to see OwnCloud as an option in the future - thanks for the feedback!

• Kona
    Kona
    Community Member

Please implement ownCloud support into the iOS-App.
    ownCloud released mobile libraries and the documentations for them: http://blog.karlitschek.de/2014/02/free-owncloud-mobile-libraries-released.html

I'm waiting for this feature since several months and I'm still using 1Password 3.7.2.
    I will only upgrade (money for you) if ownCloud will be supported!

I'm almost thinking about switching to KeePass because there is the possibility: http://therantsandraves.com/?p=1114&cpage=1
    And when 1Password will not support ownCloud in the near future, I will switch (NO money for you)!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kona,

Thanks so much for adding your feedback here, it's great to know that this sync solution has some user support! Unfortunately I can't tell you much more than I've already said above. We're interested in exploring alternative sync solutions, and we'd really hate to lose you as a user, but I just can't make any promises regarding ownCloud, or any other sync solution at this point.

I wish I had a better answer for you here, but I'd be happy to help if you have any further questions :)

• farmer
    farmer
    Community Member

Perhaps omnipresence?
    https://www.omnigroup.com/omnipresence

It appears to be open source and has a link for developers on the page. I currently use it for syncing documents between macs using the webdav space I have at fastmail. Works great.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @farmer,

Thanks so much for the suggestion!

For anyone interested in reading a bit more about this topic, please see our article here: Alternatives to Dropbox cloud syncing: iCloud, Google Drive, SkyDrive, etc.. As Dave says there,

The short answer to “Have you considered X as an alternative sync solution” is “Yes” for every value of X that people have asked about. We have considered them, and have had to reject them for various technical reasons.

One of the common issues with alternative sync solutions is that "they also lack usable APIs for all the platforms we need to support." Because 1Password is available not only on Mac and iOS but Windows and Android as well, it makes sense for us to focus our development efforts on sync solutions that work for most, if not all of the platforms that we support, in order to be useful to as many users as possible.

That being said, please keep the suggestions coming :)

• mfive
    mfive
    Community Member

Why is AgileBits providing such vague, unhelpful answers? OwnCloud has APIs for every platform and has for months. If AgileBits cares about security and privacy, why not let us use our OWN hardware and software to host our OWN private cloud and sync between 1Password? I refuse to trust dropbox with my data, encrypted or not.

If 1Password continues to provide vague responses to questions about their roadmap and direction with regard to sync services, specifically OwnCloud, I will pack my passwords up and take them to another provider who will.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mfive,

I sincerely apologize for the vagueness of our replies. We make it a policy not to make promises on unreleased features. There are just too many factors involved, many of which are beyond our control. We don't want to promise something to our users that ultimately becomes impossible to deliver. We just don't think that's a good way to do business.

What I can say is that we are listening to all the feedback about alternative sync solutions, and more options are coming. Implementing a new sync solution across the multitude of platforms that 1Password supports is no small feat, as I'm sure you can understand, so we really appreciate your patience as we work to make 1Password's sync options more robust.

Please do let me know if you have any further questions,we're happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.