Cmd + \

brockangelo
brockangelo
Community Member

So I've been using 1Password for a couple of years now. And then I saw a photo of all of the staff wearing a t-shirt that said, wait, what?? "Cmd+\ is my password"??? And my thought process was kind of embarrassing:

• that's cool. I wonder how they all do that.
  • wait, they all work for 1Password...
  • maybe there's something to this...
  • some kind of hidden easter egg??
  • goes to the 1password website, actually reads documentation

• ... there was a long pause as I realized I'd not been using what is likely the best feature

• ... pause continues

I've been using Cmd+\ now for the past couple of months and I just have to laugh. How did I miss this??!!

So I just wanted to stop by and say that this should be the number one advertised feature - at the top of the screen - an intro email that says "you do know that you can use Cmd + \ on ANY website now..." because its just criminal how well this works only to realize I've been doing it wrong FOR YEARS. But thinking back, I remember all of my other co-workers fumbling around with the chrome extension or pulling up the app and manually copying and pasting, so I know I'm not alone.

Love and thanks!

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

Thanks so much for your kind words (and for taking the time to share them and this very helpful tip with the world)! :)

Knowing that not every user is a power user we try to make the keyboard shortcuts discoverable without being in-your-face. You can even customize the most used ones (including ⌘\ which you mention above) on 1Password's General preference pane:

But let's not think of the horrible past. You'll just be more productive from here on out. You might even want to help spread the word by sporting a nice t-shirt. ;)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help. And thanks again for your awesome post. I'll be sharing it with the rest of the team here!

• brockangelo
    brockangelo
    Community Member

See, I wouldn't consider that keyboard shortcut a "power user feature". ;)

Love the t-shirt link. Looks like it is out of my size, but I'll check back. Also submitted an App Store review and will hope to get some new disciples.

Cheers before beers.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

See, I wouldn't consider that keyboard shortcut a "power user feature".

It's the gateway shortcut. Once folks realize the power of it, they want more. :)

Also submitted an App Store review and will hope to get some new disciples.

⌘\ is my leader!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Is there a Windows version of this? If not, why not?
    And can you please generate some documentation equivalent to that which you linked for the Mac.

• Jasper
    edited February 2014

Hi @RichardPayne,

Ctrl+\

And here's some documentation:

Keyboard Shortcuts

:)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

lol, ok. So a completely different folder path. I looked at the Mac page, manually navigated back to the http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4 folder and then saw a Windows folder there with nothing much in it! That'll teach me for being logical. :)

• Jasper
    edited February 2014

Hey @RichardPayne,

I believe the learn.agilebits.com domain is for 1Password 4 help, and help.agilebits.com is for older versions. So what you're seeing in that Windows folder at learn.agilebits.com is the start of the 1Password 4 for Windows documentation.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ahh, ok.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I believe the learn.agilebits.com domain is for 1Password 4 help, and help.agilebits.com is for older versions.

Yep, @JasperP is correct. And we're working on improving the User Guide(s). :)

FWIW, I find Google to be the easiest way to find just about anything when I am trying to find a certain page in the User Guide or topic in the forum. The 1Password for Windows keyboard shortcuts page is the first link in the results for "1Password windows keyboard". But I suppose it depends on what you are searching for.

This discussion has been closed.