New Product Request: 1Password for Linux [In Progress]

Comments

• There seems to be lots of support for 1password on Linux. What can we do? Would an online poll be helpful for getting some numbers on how much demand for Linux support there actually is, so you could justify putting resources towards this?

Or maybe a kickstarter to get the support for initial coding upfront? I know maintenance tends to be the real cost but at least you'd have a handle on how many users to expect.

• ZappB
    ZappB
    Community Member

+1 for Linux support. I'd "kickstarter" back it without pause. I'd even take it in an extended "beta" or "preview" mode.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

There seems to be lots of support for 1password on Linux. What can we do? Would an online poll be helpful for getting some numbers on how much demand for Linux support there actually is, so you could justify putting resources towards this?

Or maybe a kickstarter to get the support for initial coding upfront? I know maintenance tends to be the real cost but at least you'd have a handle on how many users to expect.

Interesting ideas. I certainly can't promise anything, but I'll pass the suggestions along to the team. Thank you!

• yk7
    yk7
    Community Member

I already voted for a Linux client over one year ago. This was more a "nice to have" feature for me at that time but for a few months I'm using Linux as my main platform again.

I really tried to find a suitable alternative to 1Password on Linux but there is none that would suit all my needs. This includes syncing to my iPhone and Windows computers. While I will switch to KeePass for now this is really just because of the missing 1Password Linux client. In terms of features and usability you exceed all of your competitors by far.

Please consider building at least a simple client for Linux. It does not need to be as fancy as your OS X application; it should just be able to read and modify my 1password data. And of course a browser extension would be nice :)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

In terms of features and usability you exceed all of your competitors by far.

Thank you so much for saying so, @yk7! I am not able to personally promise anything but flattery goes a long way. :D

Merry Christmas to you!

• moleculezz
    moleculezz
    Community Member

Someone has made an oss version of 1password.. phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU1MzI

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Yep. This is very cool. We must advise people against entering Master Password into anything other than 1Password, but our data format is open for a reason. A big thanks to Ryan Gordon. We like to tell 1Password users that there’s no lock-in. His tool is helping prove it. :)

• Winthropsd
    Winthropsd
    Community Member

1Password is a great product, and I would like to add my support for a Linux version. My work laptop is now Linux based and I would really prefer not needing to open a virtual machine instance just to access my passwords!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you are interested in this, @Winthropsd!

Just in case you missed the discussion above, for now you can avoid a virtual machine by using 1Password for Windows directly under WINE or use 1PasswordAnywhere in your browser. These are obviously not suitable solutions for every use case, but many folks find them to be very helpful options.

We don't normally discuss future plans, but it really does help to get a sense of the number of folks who are interested in a new product like this. Please keep the feedback coming. :)

• DarkEagle
    DarkEagle
    Community Member

I'd also like to add my +1 for a Linux Version.
    My Windows machine has been reduced to running Steam and everything else happens on OS X or Elementary OS (Linux).

Thank you for the hint about the Windows version and Wine. I will go ahead and try that!

• demmeln
    demmeln
    Community Member

I'm just researching Password Managers. 1password seems like the absolute best product out there, and I'd be happy purchasing it. However platform support is a real issue for me. I heavily use Mac OS X, Android and Linux. The running Android beta gives me hopes on the mobile front, however lack of Linux integration holds me back from jumping on the ship. I don't think 1PasswordAnywhere will make me very happy for day-to-day use (for occasional off-site access it seems a great addition). I guess I'll have to test the WINE solution or put my trust in Ryan Gordon. However I feel neither solution will give me the full experience.

tl;dr
    +1 for Linux support, it would make me buy your product :-)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks!

• m_w
    m_w
    Community Member

adding my support for a Linux version (ubuntu)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added! Thanks so much! :)

• Cloudane
    Cloudane
    Community Member

+1 would Love a Linux client (read/write).

WINE tends to be "iffy at best" with most applications, with being reverse engineered, I can't remember the last time I saw anything working properly on it :P

Currently as I'm using Linux more, I'm having to move my data to a certain US cloud-hosted competitor with "pass" in the name. In the wake of NSA spying/backdoor scandals and so on though, I'm a bit wary of putting all my sensitive data on US cloud services. They also have a rather questionable privacy policy as they offer a free version (and therefore need to make money on monitoring what sites you go to). So I'd rather use 1password if I could.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you are interested as well!

WINE tends to be "iffy at best" with most applications, with being reverse engineered, I can't remember the last time I saw anything working properly on it

I understand that for sure. For whatever it's worth, while we don't "support" it in some sense, 1Password for Windows does work very well under WINE. And we've even issued updates to resolve issues under WINE in the past. I can't make any guarantees in this regard, but we have a pretty solid track record. It's just one of those "past performance is no guarantee of future performance" things since we don't actually have a 1Password for Linux client at the moment.

So I'd rather use 1password if I could.

We would rather you do too. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

We would rather you do too.

And yet you've spent the last 3 and a bit years doing your best to make sure that Linux users don't. Interesting.

I'm curious, what is the reason you're ignoring Linux? Is it technical issues? Lack of financial incentive? If you could explain the reasoning behind not doing it then it might quell some of the obvious frustration and dissatisfaction that is being expressed in this thread.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We don't normally discuss future plans, but the market is always changing. I'm sorry that I can't say more than that at this time. We prefer to let the shipping product speak for itself rather than make a bunch of empty promises. If 1Password isn't a perfect fit for you today, we'll keep working hard to make sure it is in the future. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Maybe you need to re-visit that policy. No one is asking you to make even tentative commitments. We just want to know if it's possible or not. If not, why? If so, then is there some other reason for not putting it on a road map.
    The trouble with saying that you let the shipping product speak for itself is that you don't have one for Linux users at the moment. From what I've seen on this forum, you have a fairly loyal and dedicated user base. However, people won't wait forever on the airy fairy marketing lines you're feeding us.

To summarise, you don't need to make empty promises, or any promises at all, to state your current view on the subject.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

Since we don't discuss future plans, all I can talk about is the past and present. And you are very well aware of both of those. ;)

The trouble with saying that you let the shipping product speak for itself is that you don't have one for Linux users at the moment.

I don't think the current state of 1Password support on Linux — 1PasswordAnywhere and Windows version under WINE — says what Linux users want it to say at this time, but it certainly has spoken pretty clearly for itself up to this point.

However, people won't wait forever…

Completely understood. We have always encouraged folks to use the tool that works best for them at any given time — even if that's not 1Password. Right now we don't have a Blackberry app either. If that is a priority for you, please take that into account when making a decision that involves 1Password. When and if that changes, there's no reason the decision cannot be reevaluated. No decision is final. This — very importantly — includes our decision heretofore to not have a Linux app. :)

Thanks again for your feedback on this! We're reading you loud and clear. If there is anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Have a great week!

• Courage2
    Courage2
    Community Member

I'm a heavy user!

I I have 1password for OSX, Windows and IOS.

Now I'm learning linux and I like it!

The main problem for me to switch to linux for everyday work is ... 1password!
    Is that hard to do a simple extension for Firefox/Chrome that will work with 1password from Dropbox?

I've tried the linux experiment from _Ryan "Icculus" Gordon _, but is only an experiment! It cannot be used every day!
    The ideea is that is possible and the experiment proves that is not so hard...

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I'm a heavy user! I have 1password for OSX, Windows and IOS.

Awesome! Thank you for all your support and use of 1Password. :)

Since 1Password is not a cloud hosted service the extensions require access to the local data. This is why the extensions do not function correctly even on Mac and Windows unless the 1Password app is installed. Without a 1Password for Linux app the extension (in its current state) would not be very helpful.

That doesn't mean that this can't change in the future, though. And we are certainly aware of a [growing] demand for a 1Password for Linux app, and I'll pass your vote along! :D

• James Kieley
    James Kieley
    Community Member

I second this motion I love 1Password and use it for everything... but whenever I use unix boxes I'm suddenly crippled being forced to use 1Password anywhere.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Vote added. Thanks, James!

• sbleon
    sbleon
    Community Member

Me too! I'm seriously considering switching to Ubuntu (or maybe another Debian-based distro), but I'm very dependent on 1Password and its browser extensions.

Linux support would also help my company (a web dev shop) standardize on 1Password. We're a mixed Mac/Linux shop.

• Milton Bliss
    Milton Bliss
    Community Member

Me too. My employment circumstances are forcing me away from my Mac. Ubuntu is the supported choice of my new employer, but living without 1Password is very distasteful.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to post and let us know. We know that for every person who does so there are many more who have the same request but don't take the time. Please keep the feedback coming.

• elutfall
    elutfall
    Community Member

+1 to Linux version. To your latest point, khad, I know at least 20 people that whine about this on a daily basis.

• nifan
    nifan
    Community Member

Another +1 vote for Linux version. I think this would be a great addition to 1Password and would open a new pool of users that are currently hold back because their primary workstation will not work with 1Password.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

I know at least 20 people that whine about this on a daily basis.

I don't normally do this, @elutfall‌, but I'll add the 21 votes. :P

22 total for @nifan too. Thanks folks! Your voices are being heard.

This discussion has been closed.