Some items not syncing to Android - 'Cannot get file' errors

CrazyOctopus
CrazyOctopus
Community Member

Hi,

I noticed recently that half a dozen items don't seem to be syncing to the phone.

FYI, I'm using the Windows beta version and Chrome extension on my laptop.

When the Android app attempts to sync with Dropbox, the following happens in the notification:

• Found data file
  • Downloading 10 updates
  • Cannot get file ....... (ERROR:IllegalBlockSize... - this flashes 10 times, assumingly once for each of the '10 updates'
  • Finish sync at ....

Then you get little pop up in the app that says: - Sync complete. No downloads found on server

If you don't actually look at the notification drawer while sync is in progress, you wouldn't be aware of an issue at all.

Because it flashes too quick in the notification, is there another way to see which files it's having a problem with (i.e. sync log files, etc)?

The ones that I've noticed are missing seem to be ones that I've edited recently on the PC. However, I've also edited others that are syncing successfully.

Comments

• Mgs0008b221
    Mgs0008b221
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

Having the same problem with B9 after doing a factory data reset on my phone and reinstalling the beta.

No logins had been edited and were all working/syncing prior to the reset and reinstall.

Edit: Would you like me to email the sync log?

• Mgs0008b221
    Mgs0008b221
    Community Member

Alright, I tired editing the entries that weren't syncing on Windows beta (436 or 437) and resyncing - no improvement.

Tried backing up vault, clearing Drop box vault, and resyncing from scratch - condition still exists.

Have not tried anything from the latest stable Mac build yet.

• CrazyOctopus
    CrazyOctopus
    Community Member

I also tried editing the entries to see if re-saving them would help.
    I only have about 110ish items in my vault so I actually went through and 'edited' all of them.

I cleared the data for the Android app and re-synced but I'm worse off now. It now says there are 47 updates to download, gives me the 'Cannot get file' error for them and they fail to sync.

If I access the vault using '1Password Anywhere' through Dropbox, all the items appear to be syncing correctly there. So it seems to be an issue at the Android end - but that's obviously just me guessing.

I'm getting a new Mac in about a week, so I'll be interested to see if the Mac version has any issues with it.

I also noticed that if I edit a username in Windows (for the ones that sync), the username seen in the item list on Android does not update (however, tapping on a given item does display the correct username).

• Hi @CrazyOctopus and @Mgs0008b221,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with Dropbox sync at the moment. Could I get you to send us a Dropbox Sync Results report when this error occurs? You can do this by tapping on the sync notification in the notification drawer and then tapping "Report Sync". This will compose an email to support+androidbeta@agilebits.com with details about any sync errors that occurred. Thanks!

• CrazyOctopus
    CrazyOctopus
    Community Member

Sync report is on its way :)

• Mgs0008b221
    Mgs0008b221
    Community Member

Likewise

• I think I have found your sync reports. I should have asked you to include a link to this thread in the email so that I could be sure. Could I get both of you to send an email to support+androidbeta@agilebits.com from the account you used to send the error report. This will allow me to properly identify your reports and attach a reference to this thread. Sorry about that!

• CrazyOctopus
    CrazyOctopus
    Community Member

Email sent (I put my username in the subject).

• Mgs0008b221
    Mgs0008b221
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

I replied to the response email I got with my forum username and a link to this thread.

Edit: Corrected by editing affected items with the latest stable Mac build. Apparently editing with the latest Windows beta is doing something differently seeing as how it did not improve.

• @Mgs0008b221, thank you for letting me know that editing the item on the Mac fixed the issue. This suggests that the Windows beta is doing something that is either incompatible with the Android beta or unexpected by the Android beta. I will get our Windows and Android development teams talking about this.

• Mgs0008b221
    Mgs0008b221
    Community Member

The only thing that's curious to me is that from the time between everything working and the factory reset/re install and sync, none of the entries had changed. Regardless, if editing them in 1PW for Mac fixed them, Windows should have had the same effect. Just thinking out loud.

• @Mgs0008b221: Assuming that both the Mac app and the Windows app are performing exactly the same operations, you are correct that editing on Windows should have the same effect as editing on Mac. The Windows beta and the Android beta are both still betas though, so there is also a decent chance that this could be related to a bug in one or both of them.

Thank you both for sending in those sync reports. I've asked our development team to take a look at them.

• So it turns out that this issue is related to slight differences between the encoding methods used on OS X versus the encoding methods used on Windows. This currently means that the Android beta occasionally won't recognize files that were encoded on Windows as being valid, which in turn prevents those keychain items from being synced with Android. This fix for this problem will be included in the next beta release. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you for your patience!

Note: I've also added this to our known issues post.

• Xavier Michelon
    Xavier Michelon
    Community Member

I'm happy to hear you found a solution for the problem. I was getting quite a few unavailable login entries on my Android phone.

This discussion has been closed.