1Password crashing on importing of .1pif file.

I am using Version 3.8.21 (build 32009) on a Laptop Mac. I also have the same version on a desktop Mac and use dropbox to sync the file between computers. The Laptop has lost all the entries in the browser helper application and the 1Password application has no entries in it at all. When I import the file created (from the Desktop) will not import on the Laptop. Each time I import the 1Password app on the Laptop crashes immediately. I need this resolved ASAP. Please advise.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @AndrewLevine,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with 1Password right now. You don't mention what operating system you are using, but there is actually a known issue with importing .1pif files in 1Password 3 on Mavericks. So, if you are on Mavericks, I'd like you to try this:

1. I'd like to ask you to run a Terminal command for me. To open Terminal, open the Finder, click Applications, then open the Utilities folder. Find Terminal and open it. Then copy and paste the line below, then press return on your keyboard:

PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password

1. Click File > Import and choose the .1pif file that you would like to import - it should work this time!

Let us know if that works for you. If not, please let us know at what point the trouble began, and we'll continue from there.

• Daniel1Password
    Daniel1Password
    Community Member

Hi @ Megan

I do have the same problem

• OS X 10.9
    • 1Password 3.8.21

I have run the terminal command
    Last login: Thu Dec 19 07:33:03 on console
    daniels-mbp:~ Daniel$ PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password
    daniels-mbp:~ Daniel$

I'm still not successful in importing the .1pif file, actually it apears as a folder.

Can you help me?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Daniel1Password,

I'd be happy to help you out here. Let's try this:

• Select File > Import
    • Choose .1pif (1Password Interchange Format) from the drop-down list
    • Select 'Continue'
    • Click on the .1pif folder to select it
    • Click 'Open'

Please let me know how this works for you! If you're still having troubles, please let me know where in my steps you are hitting a snag and we'll go from there :)

• Daniel1Password
    Daniel1Password
    Community Member

Hi @Megan

I fail a the last point. Actually the dialog box expects a file to chose and not a folder therefore the open button is greyed out. If I chose the data.1pif inside the folder I can open it but the the application crashes.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Daniel1Password,

Thanks so much for getting back to me with that detail. I'm so sorry to hear that things are still misbehaving for you. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

Using your browser please download a small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool.

http://i.agilebits.com/kyle/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs. (Note: If you use OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you may need to right click the file, choose Open, and click Open on the dialog).

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• pcpanik
    pcpanik
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

Hi, I had to reinstall my Mac with a clean install. I've exported my whole 1Password content into a .1pif file before.

Now, after reinstalling 1Password and trying to import the 1pif file, 1Password crashes every time. :(

I'll send you a mail with my diagnostic file and a Link to this topic.

Please help! Thanks in advance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pcpanik,

Thanks for sending that Diagnostic Report along to us! We'll follow up directly via email so that we don't create confusion or duplicate efforts between here and there :)

• pcpanik
    pcpanik
    Community Member

Hi Megan, thanks in advance. I've managed to get the last Backup agilekeychane_zip out of my TimeMachine and restored all my content. So I'm fine, but it would be nice for everyone to know, why the import of the 1.pif file fails and if there is a way to solve it.

Merry X-Mas to all at AgileBits Inc.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pcpanik,

Thanks for letting us know that you're all sorted out. You're right, it is certainly an issue worth investigating. I've got our tech gurus on it. ;)

Thanks also for the Christmas wishes - all the best to you and yours as well!

• kai1pwd
    kai1pwd
    Community Member

Hi @Megan,

your #2 post did help in my case ("Mavericks"-issue with 1Password 3.8.21 build 32009). Thanks!

But would like to post 2 questions to this related to the observation made during the import process resp. about the import result:

1. Error log messages during import

During the import process, the terminal window logs out some lines. Multiple occurrences of this type, just with different "hash keys" like "49A873F1CC204DE3B47ADB037A030FD5":

2014-01-07 12:09:00.470 1Password[3115:507] Failed to load metadata file://localhost/Users/kai/Library/Application%20Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/files/49A873F1CC204DE3B47ADB037A030FD5/60CF935A7EAB4C41B3DD7328C632E6D9.def: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "Die Datei „60CF935A7EAB4C41B3DD7328C632E6D9.def“ konnte nicht geöffnet werden, da sie nicht existiert." UserInfo=0x1100accb0 {NSFilePath=/Users/kai/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/files/49A873F1CC204DE3B47ADB037A030FD5/60CF935A7EAB4C41B3DD7328C632E6D9.def, NSUnderlyingError=0x1100b06a0 "Der Vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden. Es existiert keine Datei und kein Ordner dieser Art"}

I figured out that all listed hash keys are actually matching the folder names of the 1pif folder content, which was the source for the import activity, located in the attachments path, like: myexportname.1pif/attachments/60CF935A7EAB4C41B3DD7328C632E6D9/..

Here is also the output from the terminal window (just reduced the multiple occurrences to 1, but encompassed with all other log output, which seems looking also not 100% clean.

2014-01-07 12:04:52.911 1Password[3115:507] reloadAllObjects
    2014-01-07 12:04:52.932 1Password[3115:507] Database (AGHtmlDatabase:file://localhost/Users/kai/Library/Application%20Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/) load time [Cache]: 0.019+0.002 (658 objects)
    2014-01-07 12:05:25.417 1Password[3115:507] -JSONValue failed. Error is: Unexpected end of input

<..START: cutting of here multiple occurrences with different hash keys>
    2014-01-07 12:09:00.470 1Password[3115:507] Failed to load metadata file://localhost/Users/kai/Library/Application%20Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/files/49A873F1CC204DE3B47ADB037A030FD5/60CF935A7EAB4C41B3DD7328C632E6D9.def: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=260 "Die Datei „60CF935A7EAB4C41B3DD7328C632E6D9.def“ konnte nicht geöffnet werden, da sie nicht existiert." UserInfo=0x1100accb0 {NSFilePath=/Users/kai/Library/Application Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/a/default/files/49A873F1CC204DE3B47ADB037A030FD5/60CF935A7EAB4C41B3DD7328C632E6D9.def, NSUnderlyingError=0x1100b06a0 "Der Vorgang konnte nicht abgeschlossen werden. Es existiert keine Datei und kein Ordner dieser Art"}
    <..END: cutting of here multiple occurrences with different hash keys>

2014-01-07 12:10:13.838 1Password[3115:507] reloadAllObjects
    2014-01-07 12:10:13.860 1Password[3115:507] Database (AGHtmlDatabase:file://localhost/Users/kai/Library/Application%20Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/) load time [NSOperationQueue]: 0.021+0.002 (661 objects)
    2014-01-07 12:14:19.744 1Password[3115:507] 10.4-style NSDateFormatter method called on a 10.0-style formatter, which doesn't work. Break on _NSDateFormatter_Log_New_Methods_On_Old_Formatters to debug. This message will only be logged once.

Is there something to worry about?

2. General import behaviour

The import dialog window offers to set a folder name for the imported items. I set it to something different (from preset "data" to "import-from-oldmac").
    Before running the import, I renamed an existing "Importiert" folder (from a past import) to "Importiert2".
    The final result was that the "Importiert2" folder got automatically renamed back to "Importiert" and "import-from-oldmac" was placed inside.
    Plus a second folder "Importiert" with again a folder "import-from-oldmac" were created in addition.
    So the folder tree navigation looks like this now (really, it has twice this folder tree):

• Folder/Importiert/import-from-oldmac
    • Folder/Importiert/import-from-oldmac

Whereas I was expecting:

• Folder/Importiert2/.. (all previously existing folders remain to exist (FYI: they still do))
    • Folder/Importiert/import-from-oldmac/.. (all items from the import activity)

I'm wondering now, if this is an expected behaviour?

Also, mentioned before I did import in the past (but a while ago, so with older version of 1Password for Mac), I thought to remember, that when importing even if they would be "duplicates" (having set "skip" to "import" to force import), these will appear in the set folder "import-from-oldmac" - where it would be then up to the user to handle the duplicates further on.
    But now the result is: the "import-from-oldmac" folder is empty (both of them indeed).

It looks like it has overwritten the existing items with the import items. But I wanted to import the items (independently if they would be duplicates or not), seeing them in the defined import folder and decide later on how I clean that up.
    I'm 99% sure that I faced that it was working in the past like this, but seems not anymore now.

Is there something to worry about? As it looks like an "import-and-replace" rather than just an "import-and-let-the-user-do-whatever-afterwards-with-duplicates-from-the-importfolder"?

Thanks a lot for your clarifications!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kai1pwd,

I'm so glad that my post helped you get things imported! As to your questions, let's get those sorted out:

1. Error log messages during import - Is there something to worry about?

I've confirmed with a colleague who is better at reading Terminal reports than myself, and there isn't anything in there that should cause concern. :)

1. General import behaviour

That is a bit strange, but I wouldn't call it anything to be worried about either. Unfortunately I can't promise that any improvements will be made on 1Password 3's import feature, as our developers are currently focussed on creating a new import feature (with hopefully fewer snags) for 1Password 4. Currently 1Password 4 can import 1PIF, CSV, Lastpass and SplashID.

I notice that you are Mavericks. Is there a reason why you have been holding off on upgrading to 1Password 4? 1Password 3 was designed to work great on OSX 10.5-10.7. As Apple keeps making adjustments to their operating systems, there are some features in 1Password 3 that will not function as smoothly in this re-designed architecture.

I hope this helps to clarify things, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you :)

• fernandoaleman
    fernandoaleman
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Just wanted to let you know that I tried your tip #1 by inputing my information into Terminal and it worked just fine.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @fernandoaleman,

I'm glad to hear that my tip helped you - thanks for letting me know! We're here if you run into any further snags :)

• loopmasta
    loopmasta
    Community Member

Hi Megan,
    i am using 1PassWord Version 3.8.21 (build 32009) on a Mac since years, but the latest version did break the import for me. It just crashes without any further information. I did start the app from the terminal as you suggested but that doesn't work either.

devman:~ stiwi$ /Applications/1Password.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password
    2014-02-17 16:46:42.287 1Password[459:507] reloadAllObjects
    2014-02-17 16:46:42.313 1Password[459:507] Database (AGHtmlDatabase:file://localhost/Users/stiwi/Library/Application%20Support/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain/) load time [Cache]: 0.026+0.001 (477 objects)
    devman:~ stiwi$

And thats it. No log message whatsoever.
    Please help! Thanks in advance.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @loopmasta,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting things imported into 1Password. Unfortunately, 1Password 3 was designed far before Mavericks existed, so there are some features that might not behave as smoothly as they used to in this newly designed architecture. We've done the best that we can to patch these features up and keep things running, but there may be a few hiccups.

Have you considered trying out 1Password 4? 1Password 4 for Mac has some great new features including: a completely redesigned interface, multiple and shared vaults, shared items, iCloud sync, favorites, 1Password mini, all-new browser extensions, Wi-Fi Sync is better than ever, and much more. Upgrade pricing is in effect for 1Password 3 users, and there's a 30-day free trial available for download. At the very least, you can use 1Password 4 to import your data, then use Dropbox or Folder Sync to sync your data back to 1Password 3. :)

This discussion has been closed.