Both iCloud and Dropbox Sync Broken 4.5b36

Penelope Pitstop
Penelope Pitstop
Community Member

Clean install of the beta. Attempt to set up as a new user.

iCloud says you must install 1PW on one other device. I have it on OS X 4.2.BETA-8 (420008).

Change the sync method on OS X to Dropbox and wait for sync to complete. Reinstall and attempt to set up as a new user. Select Dropbox as the sync method. Successfully allow use. Select the right keychain and it never gets out of "Retrieving encryption keys ...".

I haven't tried WiFi yet.

Comments

• gregspeechley
    gregspeechley
    Community Member

I haven't been able to get Dropbox syncing to work at all in 4.5b34-36. I did a fresh install then connected dropbox as an existing user which worked fine for the initial population but then nothing syncs after that.

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member

@gregspeechley, Dropbox sync is working similarly for me.

It imports all of my items when I set up syncing through Dropbox, but changes I make in the beta do not get synced to my other devices. However, if I make a change on another device, it will (eventually) sync to the beta. Sometimes it takes two or three syncs before the change shows up in 4.5B36.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

WiFi sync worked for me but I needed to restart the iOS app for it to find my Mac.

Unfortunately, Settings > Sync > it shows Primary Not synced. Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Sync History > WiFi Sync, indicates the sync completed. However the number of items downloaded is larger than the item count shown on my Mac even adding together the Trash and All Items counts.

• HenryY
    HenryY
    Community Member

Dropbox sync is broken for me too.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member

I'm currently running the latest release build of 1Password on 2 Macs, and my iPhone and iPad are both running 1Password Public Beta 4.5b36 (405036). All are presently using Dropbox for syncing. When trying to switch my iPhone from using Dropbox to using iCloud for syncing, the screen goes black — just like in the past few builds.

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member

Ryan, did you have to do anything in particular to get Dropbox syncing to work?

• Thanks for all the reports everyone, we are aware of the issues and are working to get a fix in place. Sorry for the trouble!

best,
    Michael Fey
    mrrooni@agilebits.com
    AgileBits

• Penelope Pitstop
    Penelope Pitstop
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

No need to apologise Michael. Surely such feedback is what participating in a beta is all about?

The raw nature of the new iOS sync, the potential for sync to corrupt information and some recent experience has me a little concerned about the integrity of my 1PW data. I'm hoping you can help me manage this.

Lately I've begun to suspect that one or two login items have gone missing. I haven't bothered investigating because, so far, these items have been for accounts that I've only used on a few occasions, they are easy to reset and had no other information besides the userID and password e.g. answers to personal questions, notes etc. However I'm convinced I did create the logins with 1PW in one way or another because I haven't done anything else since I started using 1PW in November 2009.

There are many infrequently used items in my keychain with associated information that are vitally important to me e.g. the firmware passwords for my computers, FileVault encryption keys etc. If one of these went missing, it would cause me serious grief.

One other thing I just discovered is that a few items in my database have a creation date of 1 Jan 1970.

I know that the software is designed to avoid accidental data loss. I also know that 1PW backs up automatically and keeps the most recent 30 backups. However that is unlikely to help me with an infrequently used item if it went slightly wrong.

How would you recommend I actively monitor the completeness of my data as I continue to participate in these betas? I frequently look at the item count in the backup list to check it continues to climb but how could I check if any content within an item changed/disappeared and drill down into those changes?

Thanks

PP

• gregspeechley
    gregspeechley
    Community Member

I would appreciate an answer to this as well.

• daytonlowell
    daytonlowell
    Community Member

I too have issues with Dropbox syncing. Though I'm not sure they're the same that everyone else is having. When I create or edit a Login, it syncs fine. However, if I add a Credit Card on iOS, it never syncs. If I add a credit card from 1Password on the Mac or the App Store iOS version, it will sync just fine.

On a unrelated note, is there currently no way to delete an item? In the App Store version it's at the bottom when in Edit mode.

• While the 1Password betas in particular have been pretty stable, betas in general have the potential to be very volatile (and our recent changes to syncing have proven to be just that). Whenever you're beta testing any software it's important to do a couple of things:

1. Always keep your own backups of your data. Do not rely on beta versions of software to maintain reliable backups for you.
    2. If you're dealing with any data that you absolutely cannot afford to lose, don't use the beta to enter it. A computer's firmware password is a perfect example of this. If you use the 1Password iOS beta to create and store this password and that data is lost for some unforeseen reason, you're up the chocolate river without a popsicle stick. For data that you cannot afford to lose always use the current shipping version to enter it. This leads us to #3:
    3. Always keep the current shipping version of the software installed on your device. We release our iOS betas with a different identifier than the App Store version, meaning they can coexist on the same device.

As I said, beta versions have the potential to be very volatile, but we will always do our best to call out changes in the release notes that may have adverse side effects.

I hope this helps going forward, and thanks again for all your help and support making 1Password the best it can be!

best,
    Michael Fey
    mrrooni@agilebits.com
    AgileBits

This discussion has been closed.