Cmd+' doesn't autofill in Chrome when you unlock 1Password (but the next time) [multi-profile usage]

Options
Henrik Nyh
Henrik Nyh
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

1Password has a bug (or unfriendly behavior) where the autofill shortcut doesn't work the first time you hit it, if 1Password was locked.

Using Google Chrome with the extension installed, I visit (for example) paypal.com, click somewhere in the login form and hit the Cmd+' shortcut to "Fill Login on current web page".

This focuses the 1Password Mini (not extension) login field. I log in. It focuses the "PayPal" entry. I hit Enter. Nothing happens.

If I click in the PayPal login form in Chrome again and hit Cmd+' again, it fills it in and logs me in.

Or if I open 1Password Mini again, select "PayPal" with the arrow keys and hit Enter, it works fine.

If I log out of PayPal, click in the login form again and hit Cmd+' again, it works fine.

But if I lock 1Password, click in the login form again and hit Cmd+' again, it opens 1Password Mini and then fails to log me in, as described above.

I can reproduce this consistently. Let me know if you need more details.

Comments

• Henrik Nyh
    Henrik Nyh
    Community Member
    Options

OS X 10.9.1.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Henrik,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a detailed report. Our filling gurus have been making some great improvements to 1Password Mini and its filling ability lately, including squashing a bug where 1Password failed to fill when Chrome was open to a blank tab (that fix will be in an update soon) But unfortunately, I'm not quite able to recreate what you're seeing. Here are my steps in Google Chrome (v.33):

• Set 1Password to open in the current tab
    • Lock the app
    • Open a tab to the PayPal website
    • Hit ⌘\
    • PayPal entry is selected, press Enter
    • 1Password fills my information

Am I missing anything? I'd like just a few more details from you to help track this down:

• What version of 1Password do you currently have installed?
    • What version are is your Chrome extension?
  • hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Could the issue be that you are actually using ⌘+ instead of ⌘\? Just a random thought, in case. I often write the shortcut for filling as Cmd + \, but the + isn't actually a part of it. It just means to press those two keys at the same time.

I don't mean to insult, but I thought it was worth saying, just on the off chance...

• Henrik Nyh
    Henrik Nyh
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

hawkmoth: Thanks, but that's definitely not it – as I describe above, it works completely if 1Password is unlocked, and works partially otherwise.

Megan: Thanks for the quick reply!

Chrome: Version 32.0.1700.107

Chrome extension: 4.1.1.90

1Password: Version 4.1.2 (412009)

Where do you set 1Password to open in the current tab? I don't see such a setting anywhere.

Your steps make sense – though between hitting ⌘\ (or ⌘' in my case) I assume you get a password prompt from 1Password, type it and hit Enter.

When I hit Enter on the preselected PayPal entry though, the 1Password Mini window closes but nothing is filled on the page for some reason.

I'm a developer, so I'm happy to try low-level things to give you more information.

• Henrik Nyh
    Henrik Nyh
    Community Member
    Options

Hm, I think this may have something to do with using multiple profiles in Chrome.

In the first page of Chrome's settings, you can add multiple users. I have one for work stuff and one for home stuff. The users/profiles each have their own set of extensions. Both have the 1Password installed though, version 4.1.1.90.

If I restart an empty Chrome on my home profile and do the PayPal thing, it actually succeeds.

But if I open another window in the work profile (you can have one of each open side by side), then go back to my home profile window, lock 1Password and try again, it fails as I described in my original post.

If I close the work profile window, it still fails in my home profile window.

I tried that once, so I can't swear it's always reproducible, but it seems a likely explanation.

I know I've seen some issue before (maybe with 1Password 3?) where 1Password would trigger in the wrong profile/window, so this may be something similar.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi Henrrik,

Thanks for the additional information and your detective work. Using multiple profiles in Chrome can cause issues with 1Password and I agree that's a likely explanation based on symptoms you've encountered and reported.

While I don't have an immediate solution to offer I think you'll be pleased to know this change will be in the 4.2 update:

• 1Password mini now supports multiple Chrome profiles when opened from the menubar icon and keyboard shortcuts.

Although I can't say when 4.2 will be out it's been in beta testing for over a month, the longest period between updates since 4.0 was released. It's possible to switch from 4.1.2 to the 4.2 beta but that can be inconvenient because they use different data files. My suggestion at this point is to wait for the official 4.2 update if you can. :)

• Henrik Nyh
    Henrik Nyh
    Community Member
    Options

I can definitely wait. This is a bit inconvenient but no worse than that. Glad it might be resolved soonish then. Will report back if the update doesn't solve this. Thank you!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Henrik,

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding here. Please do let us know if you don't see improved behaviour in the update :)

This discussion has been closed.