1Password and syncing: iOS to Mac (and Mac to iOS)

Preoccupations
Preoccupations
Community Member
edited February 2014 in iOS

Hmm … This weekend, changes I make to my data on an iOS device are syncing (iCloud) to other iOS devices, but not to my Mac — and vice versa. The only change I can think of is the recent upgrade to iOS (7.0.6). Is anyone else having problems? I'm running vns 4.3.2 (iOS) and 4.1.2 (OS X; MAS).

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Preoccupations,

I'm sorry to hear that sync is acting up for you. Let's give things a kickstart by resetting sync:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle iCloud to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from iCloud and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable iCloud.

• Wait about 20 minutes to give iCloud time to run the initial sync to all devices.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable iCloud sync. It should work this time.

Please let me know if this helps :)

• Preoccupations
    Preoccupations
    Community Member

Thanks, Megan. Before I could try your suggestions, the process of updating OS X to 10.9.2 did the job. Perhaps all it needed was for my Mac to be rebooted … But I'll come back to your suggestions if things go awry again.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Preoccupations‌,

Thanks so much for letting me know that you're all sorted out! If you hit any further snags, we're here for you :)

• kerr
    kerr
    Community Member

Not sure if I'm supposed to start a new topic or not, from the looks of it there are two many threads on here anyway.

I'm running 1Password v4.1.2 on OS X 10.9.2, syncing via Dropbox to my iPhone 5 running 1Password v4.3.2 on iOS 7.0.6. I'm not sure the syncing is working at all, if it has ever worked since I went from local on the OS X to Dropbox sync so I had a copy on my iPhone.

Suggestions? I have turned off sync on my phone, then turned it back on. Still not getting new entries or modifications that I had entered on OS X.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kerr,

I'm so sorry to hear that syncing is misbehaving for you! Because you're currently using 4.1.2 (thanks so much for including all your version numbers in your post!) it sounds like you may have encountered this issue: 1Password 4.1 Lost Sync Permissions after a System Restart

The good news is that this issue is resolved in 4.1.2, it just requires that you reset Dropbox sync to re-write the permissions. Let's try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and enable Dropbox. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. It should work this time.

• kerr
    kerr
    Community Member

First thing I will say is that I can see I wrote "two many" rather than "too many". My bad!

Many thanks for the response, I will try over the weekend and respond.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kerr,

I'll admit, I didn't even notice that slip, but as a bit of a grammar stickler myself, I appreciate that you took the time to correct it :) I've got my fingers crossed that these steps get you all sorted, but we're here for you if you hit any snags!

• kerr
    kerr
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

So I have followed your instructions and am at the re-sync stage. It seems like there are 3 copies of the data, one on the Mac, one on the iPhone and one in Dropbox, and perhaps all three of them contain slightly different data. So the Mac is saying "choose vault...". It then defaults to the Dropbox\Apps folder. Am I supposed to just select the existing 1Password.agilekeychain?

Should that have been deleted as part of the OS X sync disable? I did tick the checkbox to remove Dropbox data, and rebooted. So should I manually delete Dropbox\Apps\1Password.agilekeychain? The re-sync process asks to choose a vault, not choose a folder or location, so I'm a bit confused at this step. I won't proceed further at this stage.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kerr,

I do apologize for the confusion here. This option should say "choose folder". Now, the default location of your 1Password data is in Dropbox/1Password. Please create a folder at the root of your Dropbox folder titled '1Password' and select that folder to store your 1Password data in.

This should get things sorted out for you, but if you are still seeing a discrepancy in data or multiple keychains in your Dropbox account, please let me know and we'll investigate further!

This discussion has been closed.