Initial Impressions

RichardPayne
RichardPayne
Community Member

All in all, very nice. The items below are mostly UI niggles. Nothing too major. Will add more as and when I find them.

1. Dropbox sync login screen is very grey. I initially thought it was disabled.

2. Keyboard remains active during the sync process. Taps alphanumerics does nothing but pressing 'Go' again seems to restart the sync and then
    throws out an "Invalid password" message in red. Leave it long enough and the original sync completes and the app opens.

3. Sort order is placing the # group at the bottom. You usually expect to see numerics sorted to the top.

4. When editing an login, Name, Username, Password and URL behave differently the webform details. In the former case, long press activates selection mode (as it should on Android). On the web form fields, long press does nothing and there is a copy option hidden on a dropmenu reached by pressing on the little triangle on the right hand edge. This isn't really very intuitive. Long press should be on all of them.

5. When in selection mode on the main fields, tapping on the space between fields does not exit selection mode.

6. Password field label running the Generate dialog is not too intuitive and sort of redundant to my mind give the nicely obvious icon to the right of the field.

7. Would be nice if the Generate icon was coloured.

8. Separate Save and Cancel options are unnecessary. A single save button on the right side top is the usual. Cancel is implicit in using the back key.

9. Can't see any way to edit the icon assigned to a login. A nice feature would be an option to load the default page, parse any images that are there and present them as a list to choose from.

10. I think this has been mentioned before but your handling of the back button is a little non-standard. For example, when viewing the favourites list, I access the left sidebar and select categories. If I then select Back it asks if I want to exit when I would expect to return to the favourites list.

11. When adding a new driving license, maybe a more useful default of birth date than today! Not many 6 month olds behind the wheel!

12. Screen locked while creating the driving license entry. All of the data I'd entered was lost. This is bad.

13. Country would nice as a dropdown list.

14. I added an photo to the new license item in the Windows version of 1P. When the Android app was syncing it down, the notification said something like "downloading attachment for item {GUID}". Can you replace the GUID with something meaningful like "downloading attachment for a driving license"?

15. The select folder icon in the edit screens isn't clear to me. I looked like a download this item icon.

16. When running the app, press back from the master password entry screen to close the keyboard. Pressing it again presents a message saying "Press again to exit". This message then disappears quite fast. Pressing back again, even after the message has disappeared, exits. You either need to leave that message in place until a password starts to be entered or you need to require a quick double tap to exit.

17. Selecting help from the main menu exits 1P and loads a webpage in the standard browser. Would be nice to have an option to use the built in browser for this so that it doesn't exit the app, requiring re-entry of the MP.

18. Settings menu of the left side bar isn't too obvious, tucked away down the bottom. Would have expected it on the main menu and if you want it on the side bar, then immediately below the Favourites/Categories/Folders items, possibly with a separator to make it distinct from them.

19. In sync settings, "Notify Sync Complete" has the description of "Display toast notifications when sync is completed". Maybe I'm being ignorant but what the hell has toast got to do with sync notifications?

20. Can you make password colourisation an option in settings?

21. In the login list, the context menu should be a long press, not the 3 dots to the right. Would also be nice to have an Edit icon on that menu to go straight to the edit screen.

22. In the login list, I long pressed the Add button and got a little black box with the word Add in white writing. I initially thought that this was a single item menu but it didn't do anything when pressed and then disappeared on its own. Would be nice to have long press activate a dropmenu that lets you choose the type of item to add. Leave short press as add the current item type.

23. The Generate Password screen is laid out oddly. I would switch the positions of the Password Strength bar and length slider. Took me a moment to realise how to adjust the length.

Comments

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni

Didn't you just join the beta party today, @RichardPayne? Oh, boy, you're going to keep us on our toes. :D

• Dropbox sync login screen is very grey. I initially thought it was disabled.
    • Would be nice if the Generate icon was coloured.
    • The select folder icon in the edit screens isn't clear to me. I looked like a download this item icon.

Thanks for your input! I know that our devs and designer are working on this, so it helps to hear what does or doesn't work.

Keyboard remains active during the sync process. Taps alphanumerics does nothing but pressing 'Go' again seems to restart the sync and then throws out an "Invalid password" message in red. Leave it long enough and the original sync completes and the app opens.

Noted, thanks. There are some big sync improvements coming, so I'll keep an eye out for this behaviour.

Sort order is placing the # group at the bottom. You usually expect to see numerics sorted to the top.

Indeed. This might've stepped over from iOS, where # is now at the bottom. I just checked the People app on my Android tablet, though, and # is at the top. Thanks!

• This isn't really very intuitive. Long press should be on all of them.
    • When in selection mode on the main fields, tapping on the space between fields does not exit selection mode.
    • Password field label running the Generate dialog is not too intuitive and sort of redundant to my mind give the nicely obvious icon to the right of the field.
    • Separate Save and Cancel options are unnecessary. A single save button on the right side top is the usual. Cancel is implicit in using the back key.
    • When adding a new driving license, maybe a more useful default of birth date than today! Not many 6 month olds behind the wheel!
    • Country would nice as a dropdown list.
    • Can you replace the GUID with something meaningful like "downloading attachment for a driving license"?
    • You either need to leave that message in place until a password starts to be entered or you need to require a quick double tap to exit.
    • Selecting help from the main menu exits 1P and loads a webpage in the standard browser.
    • In the login list, the context menu should be a long press, not the 3 dots to the right. Would also be nice to have an Edit icon on that menu to go straight to the edit screen.
    • The Generate Password screen is laid out oddly. I would switch the positions of the Password Strength bar and length slider.

Yep, we've still got lots of wrinkles to iron. Thank you for pointing these out.

Can't see any way to edit the icon assigned to a login.

Currently this is limited to the "desktop" versions (OS X/Windows). I'm not certain if/when this will be possible in the mobile apps.

I think this has been mentioned before but your handling of the back button is a little non-standard.

I reckon "back button should remember app navigation history, not exit" is one of our top requests. =)

Screen locked while creating the driving license entry. All of the data I'd entered was lost. This is bad.

Very bad. Thank you, we will work on fixing this.

Settings menu of the left side bar isn't too obvious, tucked away down the bottom.

This is consistent with the other platforms, though, where anything that's not a category, folder or tag (such as Trash in OS X or Settings in iOS) is down at the bottom.

…what the hell has toast got to do with sync notifications?

chuckle It's the type of notification that appears:
    http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/ui/notifiers/toasts.html

Can you make password colourisation an option in settings?

Interesting. You want to disable it? This is probably one of our most well received "it's the little things"-type improvements.

Would be nice to have long press activate a dropmenu that lets you choose the type of item to add. Leave short press as add the current item type.

Great idea!

Whew, thank you for your thoughtful post, we really appreciate all the wonderful feedback.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

ok, firstly the inbuilt browser needs a lot of work. I tried to reply to @Nik by logging into this forum from 1P on my Android Tab and found the following:

24) The link to the definition of toasts did not work.

25) I could not copy and paste. Selection worked but the system copy/paste menu did not appear.

26) The site had not actually been logged in. When I tried to post a comment I needed to login but could not access the 1P login item from within the browser.

Now, to reply to your comments:

Didn't you just join the beta party today, @RichardPayne? Oh, boy, you're going to keep us on our toes.

That's what you get when you let devs into your beta programme. ;)

Currently this is limited to the "desktop" versions (OS X/Windows). I'm not certain if/when this will be possible in the mobile apps.

Please vote me +1 for this.

This is consistent with the other platforms, though, where anything that's not a category, folder or tag (such as Trash in OS X or Settings in iOS) is down at the bottom.

ok, np. If could retain some Android consistency and also place a Settings link on the overflow menu.

chuckle It's the type of notification that appears:

lol, gotcha. Is that a commonly know term outside the development community? I've never heard of it. Maybe it's just me. I would suggest using a less jargony description but I can't think of a better one. :)

Interesting. You want to disable it? This is probably one of our most well received "it's the little things"-type improvements.

For me it just makes the character symbols less distinct. The colouring is based on the char category but the keyboard is grouped, or coloured, in that way so for me it doesn't help.
    Of course, different people process information in different ways so I can see why people like it. Hence the request for an option.

• Hey @RichardPayne! Thanks for all of your suggestions. I took a read through everything, and they sound awesome! I have few comments in-line:

ok, firstly the inbuilt browser needs a lot of work. I tried to reply to @Nik by logging into this forum from 1P on my Android Tab and found the following:

24) The link to the definition of toasts did not work.

25) I could not copy and paste. Selection worked but the system copy/paste menu did not appear.

26) The site had not actually been logged in. When I tried to post a comment I needed to login but could not access the 1P login item from within the browser.

I just tried the link and I was able to view the page just fine. Just to rule out any intermittent connectivity issues, can you try again?

I can understand the frustration from being unable to copy text into 1Password. This is something we have been talking about very closely with our designers and developers. As a temporary workaround for this issue, you can go into Settings -> Security and turn off 'Lock on Exit'. This will keep your vault unlocked when you switch between applications on your device. The locking mechanism clears your clipboard when you return back to 1Password. Since auto-locking is now disabled, you will be able to copy text into 1Password without losing any content in your clipboard. Remember to enable 'Lock on Exit' when you're done with copying into 1Password.

Our developers are looking into improving the inbuilt browser. Keep an eye out for an update. ;)

Now, to reply to your comments:

Didn't you just join the beta party today, @RichardPayne? Oh, boy, you're going to keep us on our toes.

That's what you get when you let devs into your beta programme. ;)

Hehe, we are excited to have you as part of the beta program. Thanks so much for all of your feedback. :)

Please vote me +1 for this.

Custom icons are not yet supported on mobile platforms, but it's being looked over by our developers. It's one of the most requested feature for both iOS and Android. I will add your vote.

[...snip...]

For me it just makes the character symbols less distinct. The colouring is based on the char category but the keyboard is grouped, or coloured, in that way so for me it doesn't help.

Of course, different people process information in different ways so I can see why people like it. Hence the request for an option.

Thanks for the explanation, it's always nice to get a different perspective on things. I will pass on your suggestion to add a toggle to enable/disable password colourization.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions. Let us know if you have any others. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I just tried the link and I was able to view the page just fine. Just to rule out any intermittent connectivity issues, can you try again?

I can understand the frustration from being unable to copy text into 1Password. This is something we have been talking about very closely with our designers and developers. As a temporary workaround for this issue, you can go into Settings -> Security and turn off 'Lock on Exit'. This will keep your vault unlocked when you switch between applications on your device. The locking mechanism clears your clipboard when you return back to 1Password. Since auto-locking is now disabled, you will be able to copy text into 1Password without losing any content in your clipboard. Remember to enable 'Lock on Exit' when you're done with copying into 1Password.

Our developers are looking into improving the inbuilt browser. Keep an eye out for an update.

I know about the Lock on Exit setting. That wasn't my point. I was talking about using the internal browser. Can I assume that the internal browser is part of the 1p app and so having them interact directly shouldn't be a problem?

The issue I had was that the browser hadn't logged me in and there was no way to access the 1p data directly from the internal browser. Ie. I wanted to fill the login in the browser from the 1p keychain.

I just tried to test this and found that the login to the Agilebits discussions site just doesn't work. No error, the login box appears, you fill the form and submit, the box closes and that's it. I tried deleting the login and doing it manually but it still doesn't work. Any thoughts?
    I do have third party cookies blocks so I added an exception for you but that didn't help.
    I then realised that even with no exception, after the apparently failed login attempt, if I hit F5 then it refreshed logged in.

This was all done in Chrome on Windows.

I then switched back to Android 1p4 beta's internal browser. There is no refresh option that I can see but I tried navigating to a forum and it remained logged out. While in the logged out state, the link to the toast docs still did not work.

Incidentally, the login page on Chrome is erroring at the moment:
    body.scrollTop is deprecated in strict mode. Please use 'documentElement.scrollTop' if in strict mode and 'body.scrollTop' only if in quirks mode. body.scrollLeft is deprecated in strict mode. Please use 'documentElement.scrollLeft' if in strict mode and 'body.scrollLeft' only if in quirks mode. event.returnValue is deprecated. Please use the standard event.preventDefault() instead.

Also, I can't believe I didn't spot this before but your whole site seems to be http and https. Really guys? Really?

• Okay, first of all, sorry for my misunderstanding. I was a bit confused earlier, but it's all making good sense now. Thanks for the clarification. :)

The internal browser in 1Password Beta does not directly communicate back and forth to the main application. While this is possible, it has not yet been implemented in the beta. The beta does not include a full browser implementation like you find on iOS with 1Browser. It's just a simple web-view that will perform a fill operation for a single login at a time. To fill the login, you must open the login item and select 'Login' from the URL menu. If you have your forum login URL set to the link below, you should see 1Password fill your login in the web view.

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

However, in cases where you need to navigate to another view to log in, there isn't a way to ask 1Password to fill 'now'. This is something we are currently investigating. A full browser like 1Browser has come up in our discussion with a dedicated fill button, as well as integrating 1Password directly within popular browsers such as Chrome and Firefox.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

My login is set to http://discussions.agilebits.com/ which what the v1Windows Chrome plugin saved for me.

I guess I'll just write the intetnal browser off as WIP for now. That said, if proper integration with Chrome is possible then that is much preferable.

• That link should also work with filling with this page. Does restarting the1Password Helper make a difference? ( Help -> Restart 1Password Helper in the menu)

And yes, you can expect more improvements to the browser.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

No, restarting the helper makes no difference.

1) I auto-load it from 1P. Nothing happens.
    2) I manually load discussions.agilebits.com and press Ctrl + . Nothing happens.
    3) I manually load it, click the login link so that the login form popups up and press Ctrl + . It logs in.

The situation seems to have improved slightly on its own in that scenario 3 does actually show as logged in, without a refresh.
    However, the first two scenarios just don't work.

• Filling for websites that requires an action to display a popover for signing in will not work because the web form with the login fields is not visible by default. You will need to make sure the login fields are visible before asking the extension to fill. That's why scenario 1 & 2 did not work.

If you want scenario 1 to work, you will need to change it to a website that displays the login fields as soon as the website is loaded. In this case, if you change the URL to the following, scenario 1 should work:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin

Does that make sense? Let me know if you have any other questions.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Pro Tip: Don't make your website's default sign-in method one that doesn't work with your own product! ;)

• I would say this is more of an implementation by design. If you want to use the go & fill functionality in the main 1Password application, you will need to have a website that displays the login form as soon as the webpage is loaded. It doesn't make much sense to fill your login credentials on a site that does not display your login fields.

I do agree it would be nice if the extension could detect where the login view or page is located on a particular website. This is more complicated to implement than it sounds, just because websites these days are built in so many different ways. However, you can always expect more improvements to the browser extension over time. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

I was actually suggesting that you modify the website to work properly with 1P. :)

• saad
    edited March 2014

Ah, that works too. Thanks, I'll pass that on to the right people. :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

While they're looking at the website, they might want to sort out the broken SSL certificate too.

• Of course, I mentioned it as soon as you brought it up earlier. :)

This discussion has been closed.