Upgrading Mac operating system. How to transfer 1Password? [moved to email; installed 3.8.21]

sahil_mit
sahil_mit
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

I have a Mac bought 5 yrs and never upgraded. There are some malfunctions in itunes etc. People at apple store told that they will have to erase the old operating system and install the new system. I wanted to know to how to transfer the data on 1Password.

1. I have backed up my Mac on a time capsule. how should i get my 1Password data back on my Mac after re-formatting?

2. If I have to take my time capsule back to the apple store to put back my data on the formatted macbook, is there an precautions I should take so 1Password does not gets compromised?

3. I also want to upgrade the 1Password to the latest version. I bought it directly from the website. I have the license number but do not have any reciept. I can upgrade using just the license number.
    should i upgrade after upgrading Mac operating system.

Thanks

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sahil_mit,

Thanks for asking about how to handle your 1Password data and upgrading the application while you'll be doing an OS X upgrade on a freshly formatted drive for your five-year-old Mac.

I have backed up my Mac on a time capsule. how should i get my 1Password data back on my Mac after re-formatting?

If you've been syncing your 1Password data with Dropbox, just install the Dropbox app on your reformatted Mac, wait for it to finish syncing, and then install 1Password. Your 1Password data will be detected automatically and won't need to be restored from your Time Capsule. :)

If you haven't using Dropbox syncing with 1Password and your data is in the default location here's how you can restore it:

• Open a Finder window and select Go to Folder from the Go menu. Type this in the input field depending on which version you have and then press Return:

If you bought it from our website, 3.8.x: ~/Library/Application Support/

If you bought it from Mac App Store, 3.9.x: ~/Library/Containers

Make sure you include the ~ (tilde) character at the beginning.

• Activate Time Machine and see if you can go back in time until you see:

3.8.x: 1Password folder showing up

3.9.x: com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper showing up.

Once it shows up restore the folder, then run 1Password and see if it opens with your data.

Time Machine should be backing up your ~/Library/ folder by default so I suggest checking Time Machine Preferences now to make sure that folder isn't excluded. If it is, then it isn't backing up that folder and the 1Password folder won't be in your backups.

Let us know if you're not sure where your 1Password data currently is and we can help you locate it. The most important thing is to confirm you do have backups of it before formatting your drive.

If I have to take my time capsule back to the apple store to put back my data on the formatted macbook, is there an precautions I should take so 1Password does not gets compromised?

If all your data is put back then your 1Password data would be included and not need to be restored separately.

The best precaution is keeping your 1Password data secure by protecting it with a strong, memorable Master Password. From our Toward Better Master Passwords blog post:

Your 1Password master password is extremely important. Although we take steps to thwart automated password crackers you should still use a strong, memorable master password. Password cracking tools are becoming more powerful every year, and too much is at stake in your 1Password data. Given the strength of the encryption we use, your master password is likely to be the weakest link in your 1Password security. Don’t be too scared of that. Given how strong everything else is, it would be practically impossible to use and remember a master password that is actually stronger than 1Password’s encryption.

The remainder of that post has our recommendation for creating a Master Password that is both sufficiently strong and memorable. A general rule is to only change your Master Password if it is weak and needs to be made stronger or if it is also used for something else.

I also want to upgrade the 1Password to the latest version. I bought it directly from the website. I have the license number but do not have any reciept. I can upgrade using just the license number. should i upgrade after upgrading Mac operating system.

Since your Mac has never been upgraded it's probably still running OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard), but let me know if I'm wrong. :)

1Password 4 requires 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion) or later so you'll have to postpone that software upgrade until after your OS X upgrade. But at any time you can visit the Upgrades for Existing License Owners page to enter your current 1Password License Code and purchase your 1Password 4 for Mac license upgrade.

I hope that answers your questions and all your upgrades go smoothly. :)

• sahil_mit
    sahil_mit
    Community Member

Thanks Oversoul.
    I have OS x 10.6 - correct.
    But my 1password version is 3.5.9 and bought it from website.
    so i typed 3.5.9:~/Library/Application Support/ in finder but could not locate the file.
    As you suggested I want to make sure it is backed up before formatting.
    I am not sure where the library folder is ?

• Hi @sahil_mit‌

Instead of "3.5.9:~/Library/Application Support/" please try "~/Library/Application Support/"

Thanks!

Ben

• sahil_mit
    sahil_mit
    Community Member

Got it. Thanks

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome! Please let us know if you have any other questions. :)

• sahil_mit
    sahil_mit
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

So I upgraded my Mac Snow Leopard to the latest version. I could also restore my 1Password files. But I am not able to get the 1Password to show on my Safari browser.

I went to the website to buy an upgrade 1Password for Mac using my license. The upgrade which is available requires Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

Then I went to the 1Password on my Mac to see for software upgrades. There were a bunch since I had not upgraded in a while, when i clicked to install it showed an error.

is there is way around this or I have to install Mavericks ?

Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

Hi @sahil_mit‌,

Unfortunately, 1Password 4 requires Mountain Lion or Mavericks. If you are using Snow Leopard, you will need to continue using 1Password 3. To install the 1Password 3 browser extension for Safari, please see here: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions :)

• sahil_mit
    sahil_mit
    Community Member

Thanks I downloaded the extension, the key appears in the toolbar but there is "1" in red on top. when i click it asks for the master keyword and when i put it in it says connecting and start counting, it counted to 500 something and i tried to open another it disappeared. everytime i click the key it asks for master keyword and same counting with no end.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sahil_mit,

I'm sorry you're having trouble getting the 1Password extension working in Safari. After your earlier software updates, are you now running these versions?

• OS X Snow Leopard: 10.6.8
    • 1Password application: 3.8.21
    • 1Password extension for Safari: 3.9.20

Could you please try restarting your Mac and let us know if that fixes the problem? Thanks!

• sahil_mit
    sahil_mit
    Community Member

I have OS X snow leopard : 10.6.8
    but my 1password is 3.5.9
    i went to check for updates. there was a bunch available. i did not update since i first installed.
    i clicked to instal updates but it said error while extracting files. tried this couple of times same error.
    Thanks

• sahil_mit
    sahil_mit
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

Do you recommend I change to MAvericks and buy the new version of 1Password. Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sahil_mit,

Thanks for the additional information. Upgrading to Mavericks and 1Password 4, if possible, is what I'd do to get current and be more future proof. :)

For right now let's see about getting 1Password 3 working for you! To help with that we'd like to start with a Diagnostics Report from your Mac …

Using your web browser please download this small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool:

http://i.agilebits.com/kyle/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your Downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs.

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File > Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the Diagnostics Report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us at support+forum@agilebits.com, along with a link to this topic. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums.

After seeing the report we'll be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• sahil_mit
    sahil_mit
    Community Member

Thanks a lot. I have emailed the diagnostic report along with the link.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @sahil_mit. We've received the Diagnostics Report and our support team will continue helping you directly through email so we're not creating confusion or duplicating efforts between here and there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.