4.2: Subdomain filling - working but not in preferences [see "Lenient URL" matching option]

Options
BrBill
BrBill
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Subdomain filling: Rock on! This is what I want! Seems to work great.

The release notes for 4.2 say that we can control this from the Preferences-->Browser settings, but there is no such setting there.

Here's a screenshot of the 4.2 Browser Preferences. I tried updating the Extensions but 4.1 seems to be the latest extension (not that it should matter for the main program's Preferences).

Comments

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @BrBill,

It's great to hear that you're liking the new subdomain matching! :)

You can switch back to the old behaviour by checking Lenient URL matching. That's what the release notes meant.

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

The release notes say: "Configure URL matching for sub domains in 1Password > Preferences > Browser"

The attached screenshot shows the 1Password > Preferences > Browser window. Obviously there is nothing there that says "subdomain."

Are we to infer that "Lenient URL Matching" = "Configure URL matching for sub domains"?

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @camner,

I've merged your post with an existing discussion. Checking Lenient URL matching will switch back to the old behaviour from previous versions, where subdomains were ignored. By default in 4.2, 1Password will match subdomains.

• mskopel
    mskopel
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello,

With 4.2, I am no longer seeing most of my logins for a particular domain when go to select 1P my browser. It now shows only one possible login and "Show more items". Is it possible to set the number of items to show? This is a little troublesome because I have many domains which have multiple logins.

Thanks.

• schenkman
    schenkman
    Community Member
    Options

The recent 4.2 update came with something not mentioned in the release notes (as far as I can see), where if I have more than 3 logins for a particular site, it collapses the logins and I must click to "Show 3 more items" to select the one I want. I have looked through settings and there's no place where I can disabled this 'feature'. Is there any reason why?

I may be a minority, but as a web developer I have a lot of test logins for sites and now being forced to click an extra time to login to a site is bad from a user experience point of view. Basically, I'm annoyed I have to make an extra step every single time I want to login now. Is there any way to disable this in the current build, and if not, can it be done in the next patch?

Thanks,
    Chris

• camner
    camner
    Community Member
    Options

So I had it precisely backwards! Thanks for clarifying.

May I gently suggest that "Lenient URL matching" is not a terribly helpful phrase? It doesn't really communicate much very precisely. How about "Ignore Subdomains when matching URLs" (since that's pretty much how you explained what is happening....)?

• BrBill
    BrBill
    Community Member
    Options

I agree with camner.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mskopel and @schenkman,

Your posts have been merged into this related discussion.

1Password 4.2 changes the way sorting works in 1Password mini, to start by filtering it based on the precise URL matching. In other words, instead of showing all items on all subdomains, we just filter it to show you items that match the subdomain first. A side effect of this can be how Show N more items appears, as you've discovered and reported.

Enabling this new Lenient URL matching option under Preferences > Browser will switch back to the old behaviour from previous versions, where subdomains were ignored:

I hope that helps.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @camner and @BrBill,

Thanks for your feedback about the naming of the new Lenient URL matching option. I'll pass that along to the developers. I see how it could easily leave someone guessing what it actually does, especially without any further immediate description (e.g. in a tooltip).

• schenkman
    schenkman
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @sjk‌, that did id! I am back in lenient-url-matching-land.

Thank you,
    Chris

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, Chris ( @schenkman ). I'm glad you're back where you want to be after enabling that new option. :)

• BillGrace
    BillGrace
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the "fix" of enabling "Lenient URL matching" - I'm VERY glad to have the previous (sane) behavior back.
    BUT - for what it's worth - I spent some time perusing the preferences options trying to find some way to get rid of the new and VERY annoying "show N more items..." response and I never would have guessed that "Lenient URL matching" would do what it does.
    I only encountered this discussion because I was trying to register a complaint/suggestion about it.
    Don't get me wrong - I love the app! I'm just thinking it would be nice to "de-obscurificate" things a bit, maybe a popup or some other kind of note to enlarge on what "Lenient URL matching" is and that it has that side benefit of reviving the normal behavior for those pesky sites that somehow require more than one click to get logged in.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BillGrace,

Thanks for mentioning the impact of the Lenient URL matching option on Show N more items behavior and the suggestion to "de-obscurificate" this. :)

• noto
    noto
    Community Member
    Options

I entirely agree with BillGrace, and was coming to the forum to say the exact same thing! :-) I appreciate that the "Lenient URL matching" was better explained here, so I could disable the super-frustratingly-annoying "Show N More Items" element. Please add another vote for making the Preference more clearly worded in future versions. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I've tallied your vote for documenting and clarifying the Lenient URL matching option, @noto. Thanks! :)

• MacMan1984
    MacMan1984
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to also add my thanks here for the trick to get the full list back and that it probably should not be such an obscure fix. I LOVE 1Password and now it's back to being perfect! :-)

Thanks again so much!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for your kind words, @MacMan1984. :)

This discussion has been closed.