Location of 1Password keychain in Dropbox

albioner
albioner
Community Member

Hello,

I'm trying to formulate my strategy for syncing 1Password over Dropbox between iOS devices and Mac OS X devices, and I would like to confirm that I understand how 1Password iOS currently works:

• First, 1Password iOS stores its keychain in the "1Password" folder in the Dropbox root directory, correct?

• And it is not possible, in the iOS app, to select "1Password" folder within another folder below the root directory, for example, under a common "Apps" folder, correct?

• Therefore, if I want my keychain accessible from all devices, I need to accept using only the "1Password" folder in in the Dropbox root directory. Have I got it right?

• Also, just to be sure, the old (ancient?) folder "1Pass" will not be recognized or used by the iOS app, even if it exists in Dropbox, right?

Could someone please confirm my understanding or correct me?

Would love to have 1Password out of the root directory (and get rid of a couple duplicate copies of the keychain), but I would like to understand why it's not doable now.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @albioner,

Thanks for taking the time to write in. I'd be happy to help answer your questions for you.

At this point, you are going to get the smoothest syncing experience by leaving your 1Password.agilekeychain in the default location, which is Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain. You're right, there is no way within the iOS app to point out where the keychain is stored. Our developers are working on making the iOS app smarter and able to find keychains in non-default locations, but until this feature is polished and ready to go, please use the default location for storing your keychain. :)

Now, if you're using 1Password 4 on all devices, it is possible to clean up your Dropbox folder by resetting sync. (In 1Password 4, your data is stored locally as well as in the sync source, so deleting your keychains in Dropbox will not remove your database). Try this:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On the Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

This discussion has been closed.