location of the firefox and chrome sqlite database where my passwords are stored

Options

hi:
i am using 1password 3 and have the extension installed on both firefox and chrome (latest of both). I am on maverick osx (latest)
i could not find the location of the sqlite database for 1password.
could you please provide the directory path.
thankyou.

it is purely for my understanding as i learn about sqlite. and recently learning about ff profiles as i had to rebuild mine.
i like to know where things are in my environment, especially my secure information.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @penhelp,

You've posted this in the 1Password 4 for Mac forum but say you're using 1Password 3. Can you let us know exactly which versions of 1Password and its extensions you're using so we can get you the correct information for the SQLite databases you're interested in? Thanks!

• penhelp
    penhelp
    Community Member
    Options

thankyou. wrong forum is just me not knowing your knowledgebase. sorry. for me, end user, i dont know it like you do. i dont think in desktop, extensions.. i see now it is at the way way bottom. no wonder i missed it.
    what i wrote is correct. 1 password 3. 3.9.2 in firefox addon page it says. thankyou

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @penhelp,

Your onepassword.sqlite file is stored here: ~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles. Please note we don't recommend deleting this file unless you are sure there is no unsaved data in the Firefox extension. :)

• penhelp
    penhelp
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Thankyou Megan

Two questions

1) I asked for Ffox and Chrome file location. I see FF provided. Thankyou. Could you please provide for Chrome.

2) For Ffox, can you help me understand why 1password has not followed standard firefox add-on protocol and stored the onepassword.sqlite file in the Profile root rather than the individual profile directory. This causes unintended issues. There would be several and importance would be end user specific.

For example, I have 5 Ffox profiles - meaning having it the profile root directory versus the specific profile directory, has consequences e.g. when i backup my profile, it will get missed. This has occurred. I use the FEBE ffox profile backup. e.g. troubleshooting by profile is not possible. so there must be a very important reason not to follow standard ffox protocol. Can you please share it. thankyou.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @penshelp,

1. My apologies for missing that part of your question! The location of the sqlite folder in Chrome is: ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/databases/chrome-extension...our-uuid/##, "Default" is the name of the profile, if only using one profile it is Default, the chrome-extension_UUID is the version of the extension you're using, and ## is whatever iteration the database is on.

And I've asked one of our developers to chime in for the second part of your question, as it's beyond my technical ken. :)

• dteare
    Options

Hello @penhelp,

For Chrome we stored our database is stored within the profile folder. For the default profile that would be located here:

~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome/Default/databases/chrome-extension_gkndfifopckmhdkohjeoljlbfnjhekfg_0/

If you have multiple profiles you'll need to replace the Default folder with Profile 1, Profile 2, etc.

As for Firefox, you're absolutely right, there would be a lot of benefits if we stored our database within the profile folder. It's been a long time since we defined this and I'm trying to remember all the specifics, but I remember fighting with getting the Addon SDK to store the database within the profile. I cannot remember exactly why but I do remember that Firefox did things completely differently than Chrome and Safari, which automatically used their respective profile folders. We were using the very first versions of the SDK so things may be different now.

Having so many databases in version 3 had several advantages but overall it made things too complicated so in version 4 we no longer store a copy of your data within each browser instance.

I hope that helps. I wish I could remember more; it may come to me later and I'll post an update if it does.

Cheers!

• penhelp
    penhelp
    Community Member
    Options

thankyou both dteare and Megan, great replies. much appreciated.

firstly, really good to know, when I eventually get to 4, it is truelly back to one database for any browser I use. You promise me it is. I dont like any friendly help stretching truths, what we call fibbies where we live, to be accomodating and all.

secondly, it does then put the onus of the backup back to 1Password. Given backup in 1Password has already failed. Sure in your earlier days and I appreciate the product has come leaps and bounds. But call me old, I remember the pain. Worse, I felt unsupported by your support team as at no time did they inform me that my data was in a database called onepassword.sqlite. I kept saying I can see my data in my firefox add-on. Rather they used diagnostic report, wasted months, and blamed your sudden popularity for slow reply, and then the last email was the worse, it blamed me from apparent season support person on your deck. Not nice. I know I did not deleted it, sadly your support blamed me so. So I remember the pain. I spent the 4 weekends rekeying my data.

Side question, in 1Password 4 is there a fail safe plan to when your backup has stopped backing up and you dont know e.g. like a popup in the add-on as that is where I amostly, saying you have not backup for x period. In built in the app rather than relying on Growl. I had turned growl off for some other reason, not remembering I would not receive my notification of no backup performed in x timeframe

• penhelp
    penhelp
    Community Member
    Options

Another suggestion: Inform FF users, as many are on 1password3 still, that the profile backup will not backup their data. It is stored.... But your recommendation is relying on the backup system within the main desktop. Something like that. FF users are people more likely to want to know their environment. Much more than the other browsers. It is why people I am told go there. It is why I went there. But be transparent. I will log a report as a user eventually. Also you dont follow standard add support, e.g. no addon page, where people put reviews of the add. This means firefox specific users cannot help each other. I appreciate you have forum here.. but its like way hard to come here.. and then it is at bottom of page... So my gut tells me you are missing a heap of feedback as not following standard Firefox addon interaction with end users. A suggestion to consider, not to refute. I only see a tiny slice. I know I have little tolerance for bad support being in application development for a long time. I get very annoyed seeing a product to great and knowing the support is less than great. I want to see 5 mice for your support!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @penhelps,

I'm so sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with customer support in the past. I do hope that we have been able to reaffirm your faith at least a little bit here. Our customers really are the most important part of our business - we wouldn't be able to work our dream jobs without the support of all our wonderful users!

Side question, in 1Password 4 is there a fail safe plan to when your backup has stopped backing up and you dont know e.g. like a popup in the add-on as that is where I amostly, saying you have not backup for x period.

1Password 4 currently notifies you via the notification centre whenever backups are made - no need to rely on Growl or any secondary program. You will also get a notification if this backup fails.

Inform FF users, as many are on 1password3 still, that the profile backup will not backup their data. It is stored.... But your recommendation is relying on the backup system within the main desktop.

When 1Password 3 is functioning correctly, all data that is saved by the extension will get transferred to the main app database, so backing up this sqlite database separately should be a non-issue, but I do appreciate the suggestion! Forums can be tricky to navigate, and we do want to make it easy for users to find the help that they need. :)

This discussion has been closed.