FireFox Addon 3.9.20 - after entry of master password - a mysterious counter appeared & started

hi:
I had to recreate my firefox profile as solution to recover from a massive Macbook (maverick osx) crash due to add-on bug for latest Firefox (it would not even restart in safe mode).

In doing this create new profile process, you need to manually load each add-on again.

Downloaded the firefox 1password (3.9.20) addon. Now after I enter my master password, the extension login is showing me a counter that is counting up.. its like up to number 1600... Do i stop it or let it keep counting?

it is sorta cute.. but no idea what it means.
can you please tell me what this is. which file in my profile do I need to look at to rectify the problem causing this counting.
(fyi - The Chrome extension for 1password 3 still works no problem)

thankyou

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

Hi @playplayplay‌,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with the Firefox extension lately. Let's reinstall the extension again, but this time with an extra step:

• Open Firefox.
    • Click on the Tools menu, then Add-Ons.
    • Click the remove button next to the 1Password extension and remove it.
    • You also need to remove the extension database. Follow these instructions: https://mikhailt.clarify-it.com/d/4zpylm
    • Restart Firefox and visit the following page: https://agilebits.com/extensions/mac/index.html
    • Click the download button next to the Firefox icon, and follow the instructions on the new page to install the extension.

This should get things playing nicely for you! :)

• playplayplay
    playplayplay
    Community Member

hi megan,
    that is very odd indeed!
    I had removed the extension many times before receiving your instruction (but not knowing about the sql database, so it was left), and each time the counter was still there.

But what I did notice was a NEW file called onepassword.sqlite in my profile directory. It was never there before.

I have just spent time on a get to know your files in FireFoox profile mission. So every single one was learnt about. So I restored my old firefox profile to absolute sure I was not going nutty. And definitely, no onepassword.sqlite.

It is exactly the opposite as you say. I had no problems, I could see my data, I could login with my master password in my old profile AND I definitely did not have a onepasword.sqlite in the profile directory. maybe it was somewhere else? Because I was accessing the data.

In fact, I prefer to troubleshoot an issue rather than just take the reinstall approach. It saddens me when support reply with this. But I think we have in fact answered it, the onepassword.sqlite, when I installed it, in the new firefox profile, created a new file, onepassword.sqlite databse, is the root cause of the counter problem. Never before did my old profile have this file and it worked.

mmm... I wonder where the data was coming from in my old profile if no onepassword.sqlite existed. defnitely same version. I have restored my profile.
    thankyou

• playplayplay
    playplayplay
    Community Member

forget to say explicity. I tried what you did and mysterious counter remains. I have reinstalled both desktop and firefox addon.
    i did incorrectly install 1password4 before realising it was 1password4 and not the 1password 3 I need.
    I have verified a onepassword.sqlite file is now in the Profile directory specified (after the new install).
    The chrome extension still works no problem.

• penhelp
    penhelp
    Community Member

Hi playplayplay
    I was reading other forum, and this counter you see is mentioned here too:
    http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20827/endless-connecting-count-in-extensions-installation-after-transferring-to-my-new-mac#latest

**appears a common issue **- the counter showing up on the Firefox addon after some change to the environment.

Interestingly, no where can I find it on this forum, explained why this counter appears. What does the counter appearing mean?

Each time Megan asks for Diagnostic Report then no update to forum. That for me is unhelpful forum interaction. Transparency of actions taken to resolve is required.

Second interesting point, some of the times, in the posts -- the person mentions chrome is OK. For me that tells me the Chrome database and the Ffox database are two separate files. So in fact we have 3 databases of our data for 1password. I cannot find anywhere where the architecture is actually explained to show you where all your data is.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @playplayplay‌,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out, although I do apologize you had to do a bit of exploring there.

I prefer to troubleshoot an issue rather than just take the reinstall approach.

Please understand that the reason that reinstalling was the first step in our troubleshooting process here is that the counting message that you were seeing shows up in the extension when the extension is unable to connect to the main app. Reinstalling the extension will usually re-create that connection. There are, of course, other things to check, but reinstalling helps to get the most obvious and common issue out of the way so that we can look into other options.

I tried what you did and mysterious counter remains.

If the extension is still having trouble accessing the main app, it sounds like there might be something in your system blocking communication. Do you have any firewalls installed? Please have a read-through of our article on Configuring Proxy Settings. It is written for 1Password 4, but the same principles apply in version 3. If you would like us to do a bit more investigating, we can take a better look at your system by seeing a Diagnostic Report.

Hi @penhelps,

Interestingly, no where can I find it on this forum, explained why this counter appears. What does the counter appearing mean?

The counter appears when the extension is trying to connect to the main app and access your database.

Each time Megan asks for Diagnostic Report then no update to forum. That for me is unhelpful forum interaction. Transparency of actions taken to resolve is required.

We certainly don't intend to be unhelpful or opaque here. There are a few reasons that conversations in the Forum often end with the Diagnostic Report request:

• First of all, Diagnostic Reports contain information that is particular to your system - it's best that we don't deal with those in a public forum.
    • Often when a ticket is handled in our support system it is handled by members of our support team, who are less likely to be active on the forums. These people are often very busy and want to help as many users as they can: replying on the forum duplicates the efforts that have already been made to help the user via email.
    • In addition to that, email instructions are often too specific to be generally useful in a forum, and could actually cause more trouble than good if another user were to apply these instructions to their own unique situation.

I hope this helps you to understand our support process a bit better. I will make an effort in the future to resolve threads with as much information as possible after a Diagnostic Report has been requested.

• penhelp
    penhelp
    Community Member

Hi Megan
    thankyou for answering my question. "is that the counting message that you were seeing shows up in the extension when the extension is unable to connect to the main app." Very Helpful.

I am not clear though, you get my point. In all your prior replies, you say to install, but never once did you lead with, saying this simple sentence, then say we suggest reinstall because...

If support replies are answered this way, then person has understanding of "real problem", sometimes even "root problem", and how support is suggesting will fix at first attempt". Leaving this explain cause point out, totally changes the style of support is being offered. Simple yes.

regarding diagnostic report and resolution. Posting outcome after it goes to second line support and resolved, the part of process is the resolution process of any support process. what eventually resolved it is key. not the diagnostics/not the intermediary actions. for me, this part is totally missing in your forum. so to me the forum is not really a forum is a funnel to receive support questions/posts/or old days called tickets. forums show how things got resolved. typically it is a person who handled the first contact, like yourself updates the post with "how resolved". as typically a person like yourself speaks nice simple language and who is willing to take the time the other person feels helped/all others benefit from the learning. I know you really care the individual posting is helped -- I can tell my your replies in the forum.

• playplayplay
    playplayplay
    Community Member

hi megan, thankyou for your next suggestion.

I entered the proxy settings (though I never had to do this before), and issue remains. Firefox browser addon cannot find the main desktop app, counter continues to display.

I ran the diagnostics tool

and it says "The 1Password Helper background process is not set for automatic starting. This will prevent access to keyboard shortcuts, Universal Unlock and data syncing of items between 1Password and the browsers. Please choose the 1Password > Preferences > Extensions pane and enable the checkbox for 'Keep helper running ". When it says "1Password > Preferences > Extensions pane", is that in the desktop app? As i cannot see that option in my desktop app.

============================

When I said "it, in the new firefox profile, created a new file, onepassword.sqlite databse, is the root cause of the counter problem. Never before did my old profile have this file and it worked."

OK this is wrong statement by me. I learnt now this database is not stored in the Profile directory but in the directory above it. So a profile restore would not enable me to check if the file was there or not. I still do not remember seeing this file. But that does not mean for sure it was not there. Is the default settings for the sqlite file visible or invisible?

Thankyou

Using post question: How does one do a hard return in this post box?

• playplayplay
    playplayplay
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

Hello again, I have been thinking about this all day.

The new problem is, that uninstall of the desktop app (not the firefox addon) is not clean. there are bits left over. I use App Cleaner so it gets most, but i strongly sense not all

And I have made this much much worse, as stupid me, installed 1 Password 4, thinking it was just like 1 Password 3. But no.. bad bad bad.. its like a totally different app. So I think what I need to be comfortable is how to totally uninstall 1Password 4 (the version I installed was the latest from the website), all the bits, not just the basic bits, ALL bits, as if my system has never ever seeen it

My logic to this, is after reading http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/KB/start-over.html, it talks of the things in the diagnostic report than are all related to 1 password 4 NOT 1 password 3. So that means some bit of 1 Password 4 still must remain.

This request is also for my sanity. I want to know all the bits 1 Password 4 are out of my system. I get so cranky when uninstall in mac environment does not take everything. so naughty of developers not to provide a clean uninstall.

Lastly I have strong gut feel .. when i truelly sort my one password issues out, many of these funny issues that started since using 1 password in the early days will go away.. like caching issues.. like slow page loads every so often... all these wierd things.. and it is like my processor is busy doing something ... and the only thing I always have in use is 1password firefox addon. So as much as I like the functionality the impact of that darn thing for me, is highly suspect -- hence why I only want to troubleshoot this myself with ofcourse supports guidance.

• playplayplay
    playplayplay
    Community Member

@penhelp, thankyou for the link. very helpful for me!

• playplayplay
    playplayplay
    Community Member

fyi - this is what App Cleaner, detects for 1 password 3 to uninstall, whereas a drag of the 1Password icon to the trash leaves the other stuff. I didnt think to save the screenshot for 1 password 4 sorry. I had no idea at the time i would have problems.

• playplayplay
    playplayplay
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

Megan, why do you say

"I'm glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out, although I do apologize you had to do a bit of exploring there."

What did you think I got sorted? The issue remains open from my perspective.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @playplayplay,

Again, I'm sorry to hear that you're still having trouble. We generally recommend that you send the Diagnostic Report in to our support team for review instead of attempting to fix anything based on what you see in the Report. I would also like to caution you about using app-remover tools like App Cleaner or Clean My Mac to remove 1Password. These can get a bit overzealous and remove backups that can be invaluable if you are having issues or even your datafile.

Please understand that our app design is following Apple's guidelines. We don't mean to make it difficult for you to remove the app, but we do want to make sure that users don't accidentally delete their datafile.

Now, I'm seeing several posts from you in the forum here with several questions and concerns, and I'd love to condense things so that we can get an overview of exactly where you are at right now and what needs to be solved.

Could you please send a Diagnostic Report in to our support team so we can get a better idea of what is currently going on inside your system? Using your browser please download a small standalone tool from us that will run a networked copy of our diagnostics tool.

http://i.agilebits.com/kyle/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

After the download is complete, use Finder to locate it. It should be in your downloads folder. If the file ends in .zip then your browser has not already unzipped it. Please double click it to expand it.

The expanded file will have a "Unix Executable File" named 1Password_diagnostics. Double-clicking this will cause a Terminal window to open and download some files it needs. (Note: If you use OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, you may need to right click the file, choose Open, and click Open on the dialog).

Once it completes it should open a window in your browser with the results. Please click File->Save As to save this file to your computer. Please save it as "Page Source" or "HTML" if there are options for this.

If you do not get a report created, please copy and paste the output from the Terminal window so we can take a look at the errors that were created. This will help us figure out where the problem is in creating the diagnostics report.

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

This report will allow us to more quickly and reliably diagnose the problem, and help us find a solution for you!

This discussion has been closed.