Wi-Fi sync between 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS

Options
md31
md31
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Is there a way to Wi-Fi sync 1Password Mac (4.1.2) with 1Password IOS (3.7.2)?
1Password Mac generates a secret and 1Password IOS too!
Thank you for your help.
Regards

Comments

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @md31,

No, 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 3 for iOS cannot sync directly. Wifi sync was completely re-written in version 4, so you must have the same version of 1Password installed on both your Mac and your iOS device to be able to sync using wifi (either v3 to v3, or v4 to v4).

However, if you don't want to (or can't) upgrade to 1Password 4 for iOS, you could use 1Password 3 for Mac as an intermediary between version 3 on iOS and version 4 on Mac. This means you'll open 1Password 3 for Mac to do a sync with the iOS app, then the changes will automatically sync between the two Mac versions.

If you're interested in doing this, here's how:

• First, you will need to download 1Password 3 for Mac again if you no longer have it.

• It's available for download here.
      • If you are a Mac App Store customer, and need a license key for version 3, please send a copy of your Mac App Store receipt to support+sales@agilebits.com and we'll be happy to give you one.
    • Next, you need to setup sync between version 3 and version 4 on your Mac.

• Setup Dropbox or local folder sync in 1Password 4 for Mac (if you haven't already).
      • Open 1Password 3 and select the .agilekeychain file that you created above when setting up Dropbox or folder sync.
    • Now you're set to sync 1Password 3 for Mac with 1Password 3 for iOS, and have the changes sync to 1Password 4 for Mac.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions. :)

• zharry
    zharry
    Community Member
    Options

I am still confused. I have v 3.7.2 on a old iPad that cannot be upgraded to v4. I have 1PW v4 on my Mac. I uploaded 1PW 3 to my Mac but do not understand what is meant by "open 1PW 3 and select the .agilekeychain file that you created above...."
    I wish my v4on my mac to sync with the old OS on my iPad. Help!! Thanks, Harry

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @zharry,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble with the instructions that @JasperP posted, specifically:

… but do not understand what is meant by "open 1PW 3 and select the .agilekeychain file that you created above...."

Have you successfully configured syncing in 1Password 4, as described in the step before that one?

Doing that will give you the .agilekeychain you'll need to select in the next step:

• Open 1Password 3 and select the .agilekeychain file that you created above when setting up Dropbox or folder sync.

1Password 3 will then be using that .agilekeychain and 1Password 4 will also be syncing with it.

I wish my v4on my mac to sync with the old OS on my iPad.

That's what the final step in the instructions will do:

I hope that helps you with finishing the setup.

This discussion has been closed.