"Go & Fill Login" change

2»

Comments

• repsychlist
    edited December 1969
    Hello, and sorry to post a late addition to this thread.

I returned from holiday to find that 1P cheerfully opened and autofilled with little or no regard for my master password, and found my way to this thread. I now find that I either have to have settings which mean that I am forever retyping my master password (very annoying) OR never having to type it (very insecure). Previously, autofill worked without entering the master password as long as 1P had been opened using the master password. Or is this a wetware problem?

Cheers,
    Frank.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Frank, 1Password will Go & Fill a saved login if it is unlocked, but won't if it's locked. I'm unsure what you mean by "with little or no regard for my master password"; the application has to be unlocked for the function to work.
  • charlie98
    charlie98
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    justG wrote:
    Frank, 1Password will Go & Fill a saved login if it is unlocked, but won't if it's locked. I'm unsure what you mean by "with little or no regard for my master password"; the application has to be unlocked for the function to work.

Question regarding semantics.

I can QUIT 1PW but I am still able to use Go & Fill from Safari. QUIT 1PW does not lock 1PW, is that correct?
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    That's correct. Quitting 1Password doesn't lock it. 1Password locks only according to the settings you have configured on the 1Password > Preferences > Security preference pane.
  • repsychlist
    edited December 1969
    Hello. and thanks for the prompt reply. The post that followed also helped me to understand what's going on. I was just alarmed to find that autofill was working even when I had quit 1P and without asking for my master password. I've now changed Preferences to allow autofill when 1P is open/unlocked. Would it not make sense for 1P to lock on quitting? Or to have the option of setting this in Preferences?

Cheers,
    Frank.
  • Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the input, Frank. Locking on quitting 1Password has come up on occasion. We purposely avoid doing that as 1Password works in multiple browsers and the main application itself, so it is common to quit one application and immediately go to another.
  • supersirlink
    edited December 1969
    I would also like to vote for the old default behavior. I have my wife use this app to store all account info/passwords. In order for her to actual use it, it needs to be very intuitive. I appreciate the concern with security, but I can actually see the reverse happening because of this change. People are never going to lock 1password for the convenience. With the old behavior you had a nice compromise of security and convenience.

For time being I have set the hidden preference to change this back to the default behavior, that way the app can stay locked until needed and it is convenient to unlock when needed.
This discussion has been closed.