Chrome Sync between Mac & PC requiring constant re-install

Options

I've been seeing hints of this issue across the forum but nothing exactly like what I am experiencing. I'm hoping there is an easy fix.

I use Windows 7 at work, I use a combination of Win 7 and Mac OS X (pre-Mavricks) at home. I regularly use Google Chrome as my browser and use Chrome's synchronization framework to sync bookmarks, apps, etc. The native application for both Win 7 and Mac OS work fine. However I am being required to re-install the Chrome App every time I login to one of my machines.

My suspicion is that when I reinstall the chrome app in a Win 7 Chrome, Google Chrome's synchronization installs the same app settings on my Mac machines. So when I log into my Mac machine, the extension is incompatible and wants me to reinstall, necessitating a vicious cycle of reinstalling that could bring my sanity to its knees, if my sanity had knees, and were a physically manifested, but I digress.

Is there a work around for this besides disabling chrome app syncing across my mac/win?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nojh,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty with the Chrome extension right now. Could you please confirm for me what version of 1Password you currently have installed on your Mac? The extension for version 3 of 1Password for Mac is compatible with Windows, so you shouldn't be seeing any difficulty there. (If you are using 1Password 3 for Mac, we'll need to see a Diagnostic Report to do some further investigating!)

If you have upgraded to 1Password 4 for Mac, please note that the extension for this version has been completely redesigned, and as such, it is no longer compatible with the Windows version. We are working on a shiny new Windows version (which is currently in beta testing) which will make use of the new extension, but until it is released, you will need to disable Chrome extension sync (chrome://settings) and install the correctly versioned extension for each operating system.

I do apologize for the inconvenience here - if you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

• Nojh
    Nojh
    Community Member
    Options

It does appear that I am using 1Password 4 for Mac.

I have turned off syncing apps. I didn't realize that I hadn't turned off syncing extensions as I thought they were the same thing as apps. Thank you for making me double check. I'll look forward to the upgraded windows version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Nojh,

I'm glad to hear that you're all sorted out! We'll do our best to have the new Windows version out just as soon as possible ... and we're here to help if you run into any further snags. :)

This discussion has been closed.