Duplicate and replaced browser tabs using "open and fill" with Firefox [fixed in 4.2 beta extension]

mike429
mike429
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

When I try to use "open and fill" from the main 1Password application, I get the following repeatable results: (1) for argument's sake, say I have 3 tabs open in my browser; (2) if I invoke "open and fill", the expected behavior is to leave the the existing 3 tabs alone, and to open a 4th tab with the web site I'm trying to access via 1PW 4; (3) what actually happens is that a new 4th tab opens to the intended web site, but Tab 3 gets replaced by the same web site being invoked from 1PW 4 -- so I end up with duplicate tabs for the new web site, and my rightmost prior tab got wiped out. (4) this is only a problem with the main app; if I use the mini-App from either the menubar or my browser toolbar, then it respects my current tabs and just adds a new one.

My environment: MacBook Pro 5,5; OS X 10.9; FireFox 25.0; 1PW 4 4.0.9

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I agree with your observations and, using 4.0.9, Mavericks and Firefox 25, I see exactly what you see. It's clearly not what should be happening.

Stephen

• Jose Almeida
    Jose Almeida
    Community Member

Hi,

This is annoying.

Each time I select a login in 1password 4 to be open in the browser it has a strange way of working.

It opens 2 pages with the same link instead of 1 as it would supposed to do.

This behavior does not happen with safari or with chrome.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Regards,
    Jose Almeida

• Jose Almeida
    Jose Almeida
    Community Member

I don't think this has anything to do with the Firefox extensions since it happens even when I do it in the 1 password app.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

I agree, there is a problem. See also this thread. It seems to be a regression because certainly some versions before 4.0.9 didn't do this.

Stephen

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Yup, the Open and Fill is the issue. If you just select the site from the FF extenion pulldown, only a single page is opened. But if you click the URL instead, two pages are open. Same w/Open and Fill in 1P4.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited November 2013

I have found a temporary solution for this, which seems to work for me. Go to Preferences > Browser and uncheck Animate form filling.

Edit: bother. It worked once and now doesn't!

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Hey guys,

Thanks for reporting ( @mike429 ) and reproducing ( @Stephen_C ) this bug. I've also reproduced it here and it's filed in our bug tracker now.

• hermdog
    hermdog
    Community Member

I am also seeing this issue. Running 1P4 and Firefox 25 on OSX Mavericks.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi there!

I've merged a couple related topics about this issue and, as previously mentioned, this bug is in our tracker. If I'm missing anything please let me know. :)

• jothirams
    jothirams
    Community Member

Im facing this problem still. Any update on this

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @jothirams.

There's no new status on this bug right now but I've noted that you've asked about it. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

I'm gonna bump this. It is driving me bonkers that 1P4 is mucking with an existing Tab in Firefox, let alone opening a duplicate. Can this get some love?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @MrC.

I don't have any additional information about this yet but will mention it directly to one of the developers next time we're chatting.

• barrypenner
    barrypenner
    Community Member

I have been experiencing the same thing myself. I agree that it is very annoying. Please AgileBits Support get this fixed ASAP
    Thank you, Barry

• ethansisson
    ethansisson
    Community Member

I'm having this issue as well. It's one of those little things that chips away at your trust. I don't like 1Password stealing my tabs.

Some additional info that I don't see covered yet is that, although this doesn't happen when invoking a login from 1Password mini, it does if you actually view the login's details in mini and highlight and press return or click the website. So...

This bug happens:

1. In 1Password when clicking a login's website/open and fill
    2. In 1Password mini when viewing a login's details and clicking/pressing return on its website

It doesn't happen in 1Password mini when clicking/pressing return on the login item itself without viewing its details.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2014

Hi, @barrypenner and @ethansisson.

I understand the frustration with this bug and am sorry for the inconvenience it causes. Using 1Password mini/extension to open and fill pages is the workaround we suggest, and at least with single item selection it can become the preferable alternative to using the main app.

• kbaley
    kbaley
    Community Member

I'm seeing the same behaviour with LaunchBar integration. I.e. It will open in the current tab as well as in a new tab.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @kbaley.

1P4 app launcher integration usage, essentially the same as 1Click bookmark usage, is another way to trigger this bug.

• davidrussell
    davidrussell
    Community Member

Can we get an ETA on this? It's the only thing preventing me from purchasing 1Password instead of Dashlane. If I can be assured of when it will be fixed, I will be confident to purchase. What a nasty UX bug.

• JamesHaskell
    JamesHaskell
    Community Member

I'm also having this problem, and it's very annoying. How much longer before it's fixed??

• kenklak
    kenklak
    Community Member

Same problem for me. Any progress?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hey guys,

I apologize for not getting back here sooner to reply.

Changes have been made in the beta extension that may help with this issue. If you'd like to give that a try, open the 1Password Extension page in Firefox, then select Enable betas before clicking the big green Install button. Since it is still a beta you might notice a few unpolished bits. :)

Any issues specific to the 1Password 4 beta application and/or its extensions can be reported in the Mac Beta subforum.

Please let us know how that goes. Your feedback is appreciated!

• Peppo
    Peppo
    Community Member

Yes, thank you! Works for me.
    Now I can start using Alfred and 1Password again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

That's awesome, @Peppo. Thanks for the success report. :)

• glortho
    glortho
    Community Member

Hurray! Beta works for me too.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Excellent, @glortho. Thanks for letting us know!

• smoqu
    smoqu
    Community Member

Hi guys.

I have noticed really wired behavior Firefox when I use Alfred and 1Password.
    I discussed this problem on Alfred support's forum and Andrew (Alfred's Dad :-) suggested me to show this problem also here.

When I use Alfred to open "bookmarks" from 1Password it opens in Firefox two tabs (Only in Firefox).
    It is really difficult to explain in words this is why I made small movie to show this problem.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1275510/Alfred_1p_Firefox.mov

Lucas

• NK77
    NK77
    Community Member

Hello Lucas

I have the same problem with my Bank "Log in" It seems to be the 1Password extensions in Firefox. @sjk is working on it ??
    So, watch this space !

• smoqu
    smoqu
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Thanks. New extension works for me to.

• Hi @smoqu and @NK77,

I've merged your posts with an existing discussion. Like @sjk said above, this issue should be fixed in version 4.2 of the browser extension, which is currently in beta.

This discussion has been closed.