Location of 1Password Files

glindsey
glindsey
Community Member

I am getting ready to purchase a new MacBook Pro, and I have 1Password files scattered all over my present Mac. Since I would like to do a clean install of all of my personal data, I need to know whether any of these files may be deleted safely.

My understanding is that 1Password no longer stores files in ~Library/Application Support if you have purchased the most recent copy form the App Store. But I have two folders presently in my Application Support folder, "1Password" and another called "1Password 4". Now the "1Password" folder contains only a single folder called "Diagnostics"whereas the "Password 4" folder contains 8 different folders: 1Password 4 400181, 1Password 4 400188, 1Password 4 401004, 1Password 4 402001, App Store Receipts, Backups, Data, & Mustaches-001.

Then I have another 1Password folder under ~Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper. This folder contains two things, a file called "Container.plist and a folder called "Data". And then inside the "Data" folder are aliases to just about every folder on my Mac, and that seems odd! Here I have folder aliases to my desktop, downloads, movies, music and pictures folders, and even to my saved iChat folder. Do not understand what any of these alias folders has to do with 1Password!!! The only 1Password file that would seem necessary for inclusion in this "Data" folder would be the "Library" folder. It contains a lot of extra aliases too, but there is a Data folder inside of it that contains 3 different OnePassword.sqlite files (along with 4 encrypted files ending in ".blob2". These would seem to be important, but again, are all three of the .sqlite files necessary? They are" OnePassword.sqlite, OnePassword.sqlite-shm and OnePassword.sqlite-wal. What about the .blob2 files?

I might add that I am beta testing 1Password 4, Beta 4.3, Beta 7, but I did not think it appropriate to post in the beta forums since the location of files is really a generalist type question that has nothing to do with beta testing. However, I think it is appropriate to tell you that I am beta testing in case any of the aforementioned files is needed for my 1Password beta.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glindsey‌,

Thanks for writing such a detailed explanation of your situation here! Which files we prioritize here will be determined by which version of 1Password you intend to run on your new computer: do you wish to continue beta-testing? Or are you happy with the release version from the Mac App Store? You're right, the data is stored in different places depending on which version you are using.

Once you tell me which version you are using, I'll let you know which folders we need to save. :)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

This folder contains two things, a file called "Container.plist and a folder called "Data". And then inside the "Data" folder are aliases to just about every folder on my Mac, and that seems odd! Here I have folder aliases to my desktop, downloads, movies, music and pictures folders, and even to my saved iChat folder. Do not understand what any of these alias folders has to do with 1Password!!!

This is an Apple thing, not 1PW itself.

You'll find this folder structure (which looks very weird to ordinary users) on anything in ~/Library/Containers.

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Megan, I would like to continue beta testing! Currently, I am on Beta 4.3, Beta 7. But I probably should keep a copy of my license from the Apple Store "just in case" I ever need proof of purchase for the Mac Store version. So, I have saved a copy of that receipt, for now, to my desktop. Just don't want to lose my data!!!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @glindsey‌,

Wonderful. More beta testers are always much appreciated! In that case, the folder that we want to save is the 1Password 4 folder out of the ~/Library/Application Support folder. Copy the whole folder to a USB drive or some other safe place. This will include your .sqlite database and your backups. Just make sure to put this folder back into its home before reinstalling the 1Password 4 beta (which can be downloaded here), and 1Password should detect it and open with all your data!

This should get you all sorted, but we're here if you run into any snags during the process. :)

• glindsey
    glindsey
    Community Member

Thank you!

• On behalf of Megan, you're welcome. Please let us know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.