iCloud Sync in 1Password 4.3.2

Options
Megan
Megan
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Is sync still a widespread problem?.

Comments

• RAWdaMedia
    RAWdaMedia
    Community Member
    Options

I am having issues with iCloud Sync on iOS 7 with 1Password 4.3.2

Initially had trouble syncing through DropBox, so I deleted the app and reinstalled. Now when I try to turn on iCloud syncing nothing happens even if I press the Sync now button. If I leave the sync settings screen, the iCloud sync is set to off next time I return there.

I was able to successfully perform a WiFi sync, but this did not solve the iCloud sync problems. I turned DropBox sync on, which seemed to complete successfully, then turned DropBox Sync off. Now when I try to enable iCloud sync, once again nothing happens, but when I press the Sync Now button, the iCloud Sync option immediately switches off.

I had tried force-quitting everything and restarting the iPhone but this did not help.

iCloud Sync seems to be working fine between two different accounts on my MBP and 3rd Gen iPad also running iOS 7.

Any other suggestions as to how I can get the iPhone to work?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RAWdaMedia,

I split your comment into its own topic since our solution here will be completely different than the fixes mentioned for Dropbox in the other thread.

The first thing we want to confirm is that you are logged in to each computer and device with the same iCloud account. If you are like me and have somehow collected several, this could be where the issue is coming in. :)

I would like to mention that switching back and forth between Dropbox and iCloud could result in a merged database and some conflicting entries. Generally we recommend finding the sync solution that best fits your needs and sticking with it. I know this is more difficult to do when the sync solution you are hoping to use isn't behaving properly, but we'll do our best to get this straightened out for you!

Once we have confirmed that you are logged in to iCloud with the correct account everywhere, let's give iCloud a little kickstart:

• Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html

(Please note that deleting the 1Password data in Documents and Data is removing only the sync data from the device, and has no effect on the 1Password data stored in iCloud.)

• Restart your iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, if 1Password doesn't detect your data automatically, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and sync via iCloud

• RAWdaMedia
    RAWdaMedia
    Community Member
    Options

Could you tell me what "tombstones" are in the sync log, please?

What you instructed me to do seems to have worked. I had deleted the app before, as well as deleted in Documents and Data, but did not fully delete from iCloud. The way I deleted from iCloud, though, was to change the sync setting on my MacBook Pro, and tick the box to delete from iCloud.

I then deleted the iPhone app and restarted. Curiously, when I checked the iCloud "Manage Storage" section, 1Password was still there with 0.9MB of data - maybe one of my Macs at home was still trying to sync to iCloud...? (I am currently 3000km away) I decided to try and repopulate iCloud by enabling the iCloud sync on my MBP. It told me that the sync completed almost instantaneously (??a bug??) but I didn't believe it - I waited a bit and then checked on my iPad to confirm that the iCloud data for 1Password was of a similar size to the backup file. I re-enabled iCloud sync on my iPad and everything seemed to work.

I then installed the app on the iPhone, and it happily recognised that there was data on iCloud and started syncing. Not being content to sit and wait, I went into settings so that I could watch the sync progress bar. Maybe I should not have done that, though, because the sync seemed to stall at about 40%. In another rash decision, I turned on logging, then force-quit the app and restarted. After the restart the sync completed quickly, and the sync log showed that the new thing to be pulled down were 8 attachments, so maybe I was a little impatient in force-quitting.

I noticed in the log, though, that the first time it attempted to sync it pulled down (rather ominously) 6 tombstones!! Should I be worried?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @RAWdaMedia,

I'm so glad to hear things seem to be working for you.

Please don't be alarmed by tombstones. They do sound a bit ominous, but really they are just your trashed files: items you have deleted from your 1Password database. :)

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

Shouldn't that be changed to Trash or deleted items or whatever localized string is used elsewhere in the app at the user-facing level?

Seeing the word tombstone may not be jarring to someone in their 20's or 30's - but ask someone that's 50 to 70 how they feel when they see that word on their phone. It's a much harder word when you've had to bury a loved one and more than a handful of close friends.

Now if it's a hard string to change, it is buried well within the sync details and not something that most users will ever get to see but even if the word wasn't loaded with social weight relating to mortality - changing it to be clear seems a benefit to anyone that does decide they want to look into the sync logs.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @bmike,

Thanks so much for adding your thoughts here! We certainly don't want to cause any stress for our users. Ideally this is something that most users will never see, but I'm happy to pass your thoughts along to our developers.

This discussion has been closed.