Folder sync issues with removable drive [Confirmed, will be improved]

Options
kuba
kuba
Community Member
edited October 2014 in Mac

I have two macs running OSX 10.9 and I have setup 1Password for Folder sync. The shared folder is on a NAS device - Synology. Both instances of 1Password confirm syncing with the folder but the data is not properly propagated. I have made changes on one Mac to a number of entires and another Mac still has the old information. I have restarted 1Password instances on both macs. I also have restarted 1Password mini on both. Any hints how to further debug this problem?

Thanks.

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @kuba.

I'm sorry Folder Sync is misbehaving with the 1Password keychain stored on your Synology NAS device. If you disable and reenable Folder Sync does it temporarily start working again?

So we can take a look at the logs for clues to what's causing this problem it would be best if you can email us a Diagnostics Report; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• kuba
    kuba
    Community Member
    Options

Can the problem be connected to the fact that for some reason my notebook seems to mount the NAS volume on /Volumes/Archive and then later on /Volumes/Archive-1 -2 -3?

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I think you've determined the cause of your problem, @kuba. To confirm:

When the NAS volume is mounted as /Volumes/Archive and 1P4 Folder Sync is working when checking Preferences… > Sync presumably the 1P keychain pathname is something like:

/Volumes/Archive/1Password/MyVault.agilekeychain

Then sometimes later, when the same volume is mounted as /Volumes/Archive-1, if you check Preferences… > Sync again Folder Sync will have failed while the 1P keychain pathname has remained unchanged?

If you have a scenario like that then it's definitely a reason why Folder Sync would stop working. 1P4 doesn't known that the 1P keychain file is now on what appears to be a different volume, e.g. /Volumes/Archive-1 instead of /Volumes/Archive. It's similar how an alias will fail to locate a file that's been moved to a different volume.

Currently the only way to resolve this within 1P4 is to disable Folder Sync and reenable it with a working pathname for the 1P keychain.

Offhand I don't know if 1P4 attempting to access the 1P keychain while /Volumes/Archive is unmounted might be responsible for your incrementing /Volumes/Archive-N mount points, similar to an issue here with Drobo usage:

Why does my Mac create new volumes for my Drobo storage device?

That would be something we'd want to fix if determining it's 1P4's fault. Of course we can't fix other non-1P4 causes for this behavior.

• kuba
    kuba
    Community Member
    Options

What got me confused is the fact that on both computers I have seen "Last synced:" message in the preferences window suggesting that sync operation happened.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi, @kuba.

Was the "Last synced:" time relatively recent on both Macs? Sounds like we may need to add some type of sync failure indicator there [edit: and I've filed a request for that].

Are there any non-empty Archive, Archive-1, etc. subfolders under /Volumes on your notebook Mac that aren't on the mounted NAS volume? If those exist and contain any 1P keychains that's another issue that needs to be addressed.

Thanks for helping with this!

• kuba
    kuba
    Community Member
    Options

It was very recent less the 5 min. To double check, I have started 1P4 without the shared volume mounted. The app reports last sync as everthing was OK. However the path for the shared folder gets empty. Stopping and restarting Sync gets things in order again. Better error reporting would be very helpful :-)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the followup, @kuba.

However the path for the shared folder gets empty.

After some related testing here earlier I was anticipating that's what you'd eventually see there. Well, more like not see. :)

Stopping and restarting Sync gets things in order again.

That's the preferred workaround when the keychain isn't returning to its original path (where 1P4 Folder Sync could find it again) after your remote NAS volume that it's on is remounted.

Better error reporting would be very helpful :)

Indeed. We've got several action items for how to improve this and I've really appreciated you helping to clarify what needs more attention. I'm sorry I don't have anything more to offer at the moment.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

@sjk, has there been any progress on this issue since Dec 2013, perhaps associated with any recent or upcoming releases? My primary reason for being interested in 1Password was because of its apparent strong support for syncing without using a cloud service... but I am having similar problem as @kuba - with sync failures apparently due to renaming of volumes when using folder sync, and erroneous reporting that sync was successful.

My setup is trial version of 1Password (Version 4.2.2, 422001) on a MacBook Air (13 inch late 2011) and Mac Mini (late 2012) both of which are running latest version of Mavericks - the primary vault on each computer (only vault I have for now) was configured to folder sync to the Apple Time Capsule on my home network (e.g., something like Volumes/Data/1Password Sync Folder). Upon initial testing at home, immediately after setup, the sync was working great - with any changes that I made in 1Password on one computer being synced to the other one.

PROBLEM #1 NOT SYNCING, YET 1PASSWORD INDICATES THAT IT IS SYNCING - When I temporarily disconnected the MacBook Air from the home network (turning off wifi), and then added a new item to 1Password on the MacBook Air and a different new item to the Mac Mini (which was still connected to the home network), and then reconnected the MacBook Air to our home network (turned wifi back on), 1Password would not update on either computer (i.e., when re-launching 1Password on either computer it would NOT be updated with the new item from the other computer). And on the MacBook Air, when I looked at the Sync tab within Preferences in 1Password, it erroneously indicated that a sync had recently been completed - upon closer examination, the volume name for the sync folder was now showing up in 1Password on the MacBook Air as something like Volumes/Data- 1/1Password Sync Folder

PROBLEM #2 LOSS OF SYNC FOLDER RELATIONSHIP -Later in the day when I had to restart my MacBook Air (at work, and thus no longer on my home network), I got a non-specific error message from 1Password in the Mavericks Notification center (cannot remember exactly what it said as I was in a rush and late for a meeting) - when I clicked on the notification I was taken to 1Password Preferences, and the sync folder had been deleted from the sync tab (i.e., it now indicates that I haven't set-up a sync folder relationship).

Any suggestions for how to remedy either problem?

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

to clarify, when I re-connect the MacBook Air, the Sync pane of Preferences still lists the folder as "Data" but the icon has changed slightly and as indicated above the sync didn't really occur. But after I click on Change Syncing, then disable it, and then go to re-establish the sync by clicking on Choose Folder, although the finder like window which shows up allowing me to pick the folder lists the folder as "Data" after I select it the resulting window indicates that the locations is "/Volumes/Data-1/1 Password Sync Folder"

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @somainer (and @kuba),

I think we've actually made some good progress on this issue in the latest betas. The current one, 4.3.BETA-8, should fix the problem where folder sync is disabled if you're syncing to a removable volume and it is not mounted. And more improvements are expected in 4.3.BETA-9.

Hopefully once 1Password 4.3 is released (shouldn't be too much longer), syncing to a remote volume will work much better for you. Please let us know if you have any issues in version 4.3.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

I just downloaded "4.3.BETA-13 (build #430013) - Released 2014-04-14" and am still having problems... this is what I did to test it:

1) I configured sycning for the primary vault on my MacBook Air to a folder on the time capsule on our home network. I then opened up 1Password on out MacMini (empty vault) and configured sync to the same folder (so that all info from MacBook air got transferred to Mac Mini). After this initial set-up, new entries added on either machine showed up on the other just fine

2) I next turned off wi-fi on my MacBoor Air WITHOUT quitting 1Password; I then added a new entry on my MacBook Air

3) almost immediately I received a Mavericks notifications indicating "1Password Sync Problem detected" but if I click on "Fix" then the 1Password Preferences Sync screen shows up, indicating that there is no folder sync set-up - obviously I cannot re-configure the sync given that I do not have access to my home network anymore.

Perhaps even weirder is that upon subsequently disabling folder sync from both computers, moving all items from the Mac Mini to the trash and emptying it, and then re-enabling sync as described in step 1 above - the Mac Mini indicated that is had synced but NONE of the items from the MacBook Air actually were transferred into the vault on the MacMini (i.e., it remained empty).

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

Perhaps even weirder is that upon subsequently disabling folder sync from both computers, moving all items from the Mac Mini to the trash and emptying it, and then re-enabling sync as described in step 1 above - the Mac Mini indicated that is had synced but NONE of the items from the MacBook Air actually were transferred into the vault on the MacMini (i.e., it remained empty)

Even after deleting the actual folder on my time capsule AND rebooting both computers, I have the same problem - I cannot get the MacMini to import any of the items from the sync folder EVEN though it indicates that a sync had been competed.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @somainer,

Thanks for the detailed report of your testing with 4.3.BETA-13. I don't have a Time Capsule here but have found issues that 1Password folder syncing over a network can have when losing connectivity, like when you disabled Wi-Fi syncing on your MacBook Air which led to:

3) almost immediately I received a Mavericks notifications indicating "1Password Sync Problem detected" but if I click on "Fix" then the 1Password Preferences Sync screen shows up, indicating that there is no folder sync set-up - obviously I cannot re-configure the sync given that I do not have access to my home network anymore.

Next you mentioned:

Perhaps even weirder is that upon subsequently disabling folder sync from both computers, [… ensuing problems …]

What did you do before that on your MBA, but after step 3 when folder syncing had already been disabled there by disabling Wi-Fi? If you restored Wi-Fi on your MBA did that also restore folder syncing, which you then subsequently disabled?

No doubt there's something weird and wonky going on there. I'll make sure the developers are aware of it, plus the results of my testing. If folder syncing configurations like this should be working it looks like problems remain to be fixed. And when they're not supported we can improve how they're being handled.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

What did you do before that on your MBA, but after step 3 when folder syncing had already been disabled there by disabling Wi-Fi? If you restored Wi-Fi on your MBA did that also restore folder syncing, which you then subsequently disabled?

after step 3 in my post #12, I did the following

4) re-connected the MBA to my wifi network (1Password still running; I never quit the app throughout any of the preceding steps, as I wanted to simulate the worst-case scenario of my network connection dropping out) but that did NOT automatically restore folder sync - i.e., the sync panel in preferences still indicated that there was no folder sync configured

5) so on MacMini, I turned off folder sync and selected the option that deletes the data in synced folder location; I confirmed via finder that the sync folder was now empty. I deleted all items in MacMini primary vault.

6) on the MBA, I reconfigured folder sync to the TimeCapsule again

7) once the MBA indicated that sync had occured and I could confirm via Finder that there was now a file in the sync folder, I then went to the MacMini and set-up folder sync to that same folder, selected option to merge data - but even though the sycn panel in Prferences on the MacMini indicated that a sync had taken place, the MacMIni vault remained empty (when it should have populated with all of the items from the the MBA vault - just as it had done so in step 1 of my post #12)

Even after deleting the actual folder on my time capsule AND rebooting both computers, I have the same problem - I cannot get the MacMini to import any of the items from the sync folder EVEN though it indicates that a sync had been competed.

This comment refers to what I did after step 7 - working on the assumption that 1Password was "stuck" with inaccurate sync data, and/or my re-using a folder on the time machine was causing problems...

8) turned off folder sync on both the MBA and MacMini

9) quit 1Password on both computers

10) deleted the sync folder from the time capsule

11) re-booted both computers, and confirmed via finder that they were connected to TimeCapsule

12) re-configured folder sync as per step #1 - BUT the vault on MacMini remained empty even though it indicated it had synced, just as it had done in step#7 (even though it should have populated with all of the items from the the MBA vault, as it had done in step 1 of my post #12)

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

QUICK UPDATE: in some more limited testing of folder sync to my Time Capsule, it appears that:

A) if the 1Password app is open when I disconnect from my home network (by turning wi-fi off in the Apple menu bar), then whether I select "Fix" or "Ignore" from the Mavericks notification screen which says "1Password Sync Problem Detected Update Preferences", upon re-connecting to my home network the sync folder info is no longer retained in 1Password - so I have to re-configure it in the sync panel of Preferences

B) if I close the 1Password app before disconnecting from my home network, then re-launch it while I am disconnected, my choice makes a difference:

i) if I select "Fix" from the Mavericks notification screen then of course i cannot fix it (because I am not connected to my home network) - and thus when I quit the app and later open it when re-connected to my home network, the sync folder info is no longer retained in 1Password - so I have to re-configure it in the sync panel of Preferences

ii) BUT if instead I select "Ignore" then when I quit the app and later open it when re-connected to my home network, 1Password retains my sync folder info and actually syncs again to my Time Capsule.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @somainer,

Thanks for the new details about these issues during your testing. It looks like one of the problems is that the folder syncing configuration retains whatever state its left in after selecting Fix… in the Notification Center message:

If you're unable to reenable it (e.g. when the network is offline) then it remains disabled, without any further warning; you only get one chance. But if Ignore is selected then there's still the possibility of syncing being automatically reenabled again when conditions allow it. In some cases you might see that inactive but retained sync state represented like this:

What seems missing is a more explicit Retry later option that extends the opportunity for folder syncing to recover its existing configuration after temporarily outages that can occur with network and removable volumes. And a clear indication of when it's in that state so you can choose to let it keep trying or change/disable the configuration.

The title of the folder sync guide is "Sync with local folder", with the current emphasis on local as the most reliable way of configuring it in combination with a reliable method of syncing those local folders outside of 1Password. Other configurations may work but can be iffier, as your experience has demonstrated. However, we do want 1Password to support them as robustly as possible or make it clear when they're unsupported.

12) re-configured folder sync as per step #1 - BUT the vault on MacMini remained empty even though it indicated it had synced, just as it had done in step#7 (even though it should have populated with all of the items from the the MBA vault, as it had done in step 1 of my post #12)

Do you still have an empty vault on your mini and populated vault on your MBA that are both currently configured with folder syncing to the same keychain?

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

What seems missing is a more explicit Retry later option that extends the opportunity for folder syncing to recover its existing configuration after temporarily outages that can occur with network and removable volumes. And a clear indication of when it's in that state so you can choose to let it keep trying or change/disable the configuration.

That's exactly what's needed! However, for simplicity I would suggest that users still be given just the two options in Mavericks Notifications of "Ignore" or "Fix" as we are now - with "Ignore" working as it does currently (i.e., when selecting "Ignore" we can quickly tell 1Password to "not worry" about the problem because either we already know why the problem exists, or don't care/don't have time to deal with it right now). It's also fine that when one presses "Fix" that one is presented with the Sync panel (in Preferences) as occurs now - but ideally 1Password should maintain the prior sync info, indicate to the user the nature of the problem (e.g., a message stating that the previously identified sync folder is not currently available), and give us the option at that point to "Reconfigure sync" or "Retry later" - with the "Retry later" option effectively acting the same as "Ignore" in that the previously saved sync configuration is retained.

The title of the folder sync guide is "Sync with local folder", with the current emphasis on local as the most reliable way of configuring it in combination with a reliable method of syncing those local folders outside of 1Password. Other configurations may work but can be iffier, as your experience has demonstrated.

Understood, but given all the traffic on this forum of late re people's desire to find an alternative to DropBox (or iCloud), you must recognize that 1Passwords ability to support cloud-free syncing is potentially a big differentiator from your competition! Obviously there are still some problems to work out (hence my pestering you here), but the bottom-line is that with your product I am now able to sync critical passwords and other private info between my laptop and home computer WITHOUT having to keep any info in the cloud and WITHOUT having to fiddle with a sync service. This combination of security and convenience is quite impressive - so I stopped using another product, and recently purchased a 1Password Mac family license, as well a copy for my iPhone. I am also encouraging friends and colleagues who are looking for a cloud-free solution to download the trial version of your product. Thanks for the excellent product - and technical support - as well as considering my feedback.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry but I overlooked your question:

Do you still have an empty vault on your mini and populated vault on your MBA that are both currently configured with folder syncing to the same keychain?

I'm not sure what caused the problem with the Mini... but I resolved it by following the guidelines for "starting over" and then re-establishing the sync. So now both the Mini and the MBA sync to the same sync folder on my TimeCapsule.

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

I am now able to sync critical passwords and other private info between my laptop and home computer WITHOUT having to keep any info in the cloud and WITHOUT having to fiddle with a sync service. This combination of security and convenience is quite impressive - so I stopped using another product,

Argh... the honeymoon is over! Although it appears that additions to either vault (on MacMini or MacBook Air) are reflected in the other vault once a re-connection is made on my home network, as are deletions of items, or changes to passwords of items... if I change ONLY the name of an item in one vault (e.g., from "Andrew Passport" to "Andrew - Passport" on the MacBook Air) then that change is NOT updated in the other vault (i.e, on the MacMin is still appears at "Andrew Passport"). Hopefully this bug is restricted to the name of an item - but it makes me wonder if other changes are not being synced! My database is likely small compared to that of others (I only have 103 items in my primary vault), but I have NO interest in taking the time to compare every item between vaults!

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

Argh... the honeymoon is over! Although it appears that additions to either vault (on MacMini or MacBook Air) are reflected in the other vault once a re-connection is made on my home network, as are deletions of items, or changes to passwords of items... if I change ONLY the name of an item in one vault (e.g., from "Andrew Passport" to "Andrew - Passport" on the MacBook Air) then that change is NOT updated in the other vault (i.e, on the MacMin is still appears at "Andrew Passport").

Ugh... perhaps it's time for a divorce (i.e., taking you up on your money-back guarantee)?!? Given the issue identified in the quote above, I figured a somewhat acceptable interim workaround was to disable sync on the MacMini, then re-enable it so as to populate the MacMini vault with the correct data (knowing that the MacBook Air had the most recently updated data) - but after doing so, I ran into the same problem I identified in post #12

the Mac Mini indicated that is had synced but NONE of the items from the MacBook Air actually were transferred into the vault on the MacMini (i.e., it remained empty).

I was able to fix this issue, again, by: 1) deleting the sync folder on my Time Capsule; 2) re-configuring sync from my MacBook Air to a a new folder on the TimeCapsule; and 3) using the "starting over" procedure for my MacMini and then re-congfiguring sync to the folder setup in step 2.

BUT I am not excited about the prospect of having to this daily and/or weekly to insure that my vaults are in sync.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2014
    Options

Hi @somainer,

I'm really sorry you've had all this trouble with getting folder syncing to work properly with your Time Capsule. Like you've mentioned, there's an increasingly strong desirer for alternatives to using cloud services like Dropbox and iCloud for syncing 1Password data.

Although it appears that additions to either vault (on MacMini or MacBook Air) are reflected in the other vault once a re-connection is made on my home network, as are deletions of items, or changes to passwords of items... if I change ONLY the name of an item in one vault (e.g., from "Andrew Passport" to "Andrew - Passport" on the MacBook Air) then that change is NOT updated in the other vault (i.e, on the MacMin is still appears at "Andrew Passport").

I wonder it that might be a permissions issue, similar to what I've written about over here. However, if password changes made to items in either database are being synced it sounds like the keychain data is properly writable even though title change syncing is mysteriously failing. And when data fails to sync you are seeing a "Last Synced: …" time in Sync preferences that's more recent than when items were modified?

At this point we'd like to take a closer look at what's happening to cause these problems you've reported. Please send us a Diagnostics Report from both of your Macs, along with a link to this topic and your forum username, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent the reports would also be helpful. Once we've analyzed those we'll work with you directly in email to find a solution for this configuration. Thanks so much for your time and patience!

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

At this point we'd like to take a closer look at what's happening to cause these problems you've reported. Please send us a Diagnostics Report from both of your Macs

I have emailed you the diagnostics... FWIW, in some limited experimenting with wifi sync between my MBA and my iPhone I have observed the same problem - that changes to passwords are synced correctly between the two devices, but simple changes in names often is not.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @somainer,

Thanks for sending in both reports and a thorough description of the issues. Someone from our support team will look this over and reply to you as soon as possible!

• somainer
    somainer
    Community Member
    Options

I have yet another sync bug to report related to removable drives... When using 1Password on my MacBook Air with two vaults (a primary vault which is not configured for syncing, although I do sync it occasionally manually to my iPhone using wifi sync; the second vault is configured to folder sync to my TimeCapsule), if I am not connected to my home network and try to switch to the vault (secondary) which is configured to sync to my TimeCapsule, 1Password will NOT switch to that vault immediately - rather, I have to do the following before the switch is made: 1) wait 30 seconds until I am presented with a message that 'There was a problem connecting to the server "XXXXXXX"' (where XXXXXXX is the name of our TimeCapsule); 2) so I click OK; 3) wait another 30 seconds until the same message pops up again; 4) then when I click OK again 1Password will switch to the other vault (and immeidately thereafter I get the Mavericks notification that "1Password sync problem detected update preferences."

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for that additional information, @somainer. I've included it in your email ticket with the diagnostics reports.

• shesmer
    shesmer
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded to 4.3 earlier this week and since then I noticed a new bug. I have a Folder Sync setup, but my folder is a remote folder on a different server in my home network. My wife and I have a shared password file and we sync that across our laptops by using folder sync. Worked perfectly in the past: The Folder Sync feature just ignored the fact that the remote folder isn't available (like at work), and once I came home it synced again.

In the new version it reports an error and clears out the folder location so once I come home after work there is no syncing going on.

Thanks for looking into this

• till213
    till213
    Community Member
    Options

After upgrading to version 4.3 (430014) (Mac App Store) I noticed that 1Password seems to try harder to sync with my "1Password.agilekeychain" after booting my Macs when that file is not available (presumably triggered by the "1Password Mini" application which is launched after login).

First I have to click away several times the "Connection failed" message box (seems to be a message box triggered by the OS).

But not only that, after a while I get a Notification from 1Password together with a hugely annoying sound!

That Notification sometimes keeps re-occuring (did I mention the annoying sound already?)

Now the reason 1Password does not find the file to sync: my Synology NAS "sleeps" most of the time and is only woken up when I actually access a share (via "automount" which I setup on OS X). Apparently the network access triggered by the 1Password file access request is not enough to wake it up (the OS seems to store the network share password to access the network share in the OS Keychain - so when my DiskStation is running then the file sync works just fine, the corresponding share is mounted just fine).

I can't exactly remember the behaviour with the previous 4.2, but off course there the sync also failed, but in a much less annoying way: I can't remember the OS message ever popping up (maybe it did though, but for sure just once - if it did, I am pretty sure that it only popped up once after login), but the Notification of 1Password only appeared once (without options to "Repair" or "Ignore" it - just "for your information only" that syncing was currently not working, or so I remember...) - and especially it appeared without sound. I never really paid attention to it, but since syncing never gave me any trouble I assume that 1Password 4.2 would simply resume syncing as soon as my NAS would "wake up" and the share would become available again.

I remember that the release notes of the 4.3 mentioned something about "improved syncing", so I am pretty sure that something has changed in that area ;)

The desired behaviour for me would be:

In case the file is known to be on a network share (I am sure there are OS APIs which tell you that) and it is currently not available:

• Keep on trying to access it ("poll") but
    • Only inform the user ONCE that syncing is currently not enabled with a Notification
    • (You may popup another Notification once syncing becomes available again)
    • Not sure how/if you can prevent the OS message ("Connection error") popping up (but I really cannot remember seeing it with 1Password 4.2)
    • In any case: disable the Notification sound, for God's sake! ;) (At least provide an option to disable the sound - well, any sound produced by 1Password for that matter)

The BEST solution however would be to have WiFi sync between desktops :) (The Folder sync via a NAS is only a temporary soluton for me ;)) In fact, I don't mind if I have to explictly trigger the sync (as I do know between desktop and my iPhone). So likewise for me it is not a critical situation (which would justify that annoying sound - did I mention it already? :)) when the network share is currently not online (just keep on polling and inform me about it in the least obtrusive way).

Thanks for reading and considering

• till213
    till213
    Community Member
    Options

Here are some screenshots of the OS "Connection failed" message and the new 1Password Notification (you're lucky that I am not uploading the annoying sound that accompanies it ;)) Both of them appear several times after login when the DiskStation (NAS) is "sleeping". It was not so annoying with the 4.2, there was just one (if at all) OS message and just one 1Password Notification after login.

(And I think syncing would simply resume once the network share would become available again, but as mentioned above, I never paid attention to it, as I never observed any "missing syncs" so far).

• till213
    till213
    Community Member
    edited April 2014
    Options

I know that some of you Agilebits boys and girls are using NAS as well ;) An easier way to reproduce this behaviour could be to store the file to be synced on a memory stick, unmount that stick,reboot,and see how 1Password Mini will react to that. But maybe the re-occuring "Connection error" message from the OS only appears when the OS knows that the file is located on a network share - so not sure whether the observed behaviour would be the same.

• till213
    till213
    Community Member
    Options

And just to clarify: my NAS really keeps "sleeping" when my Mac is booting. I setup "automount" (via /etc/auto_master). As soon as an application (e.g. Lightroom or iTunes) accesses a path which is "automounted" (like /Network/DiskStation/Lightroom) then the corresponding share is "automounted" and the NAS wakes up.

Now the Password.agilekeychain is also located on some network share (on the NAS: /sync) and if the NAS is already running (because my other Mac is already accessing it) and I login into the OS of my current Mac then 1Password Mini is able to locate that file just fine. There seems to be a mechanism in OS X which stores the Synology user/password to access the /sync share. However as it seems when the NAS is sleeping then the requests done by the OS seem not to be sufficient to "wake up" the NAS. Again, that is not a problem for me (I don't care if 1Password" is not constantly syncing). But those annoying OS "Connection broken" messages and the repeated 1Password Notifications (especially the sound ;)) are.

So while writing those lines that just gave me an idea: I could tell 1Password to locate the keychain file to be synced also in a folder which is "automounted". That should then at least properly wake up my NAS (but that would off course imply that my NAS is always woken up, simply such that 1Password could sync - even when in most cases there is nothing to sync anyway... hmmm...).

So please give us (local) WiFi sync between desktops, can't wait anymore :)

This discussion has been closed.