I cannot install the license key

Today I have upgraded my free trial of 1Password and purchased a licence. The link was emailed to me. I downloaded the link in Safari but receive the message that "there is no application set to open the document" which is then followed by "my license name & number". "Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer." I have chosen 1 Password but it doesn't connect.
So, with 1Password open, choosing 'License' I have tried typing in the number manually but get the message that 'this is not a 1Password for Mac license. Please verify you copied the key from your 1Password for Mac purchase and not another product.
I am at a complete loss as to what to do now. Please help.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Poss25,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting your license into 1Password. Do you currently have 1Password 3 installed? If you recently purchased a license, you would have purchased a license for 1Password 4. In 1Password 4, we use a license file, and 1Password 3 requires a license key. I know, it's a bit confusing, but this is probably where your trouble is coming in. If your computer is capable of running OS X 10.8.5, you really want to download our shiny new 1Password 4. If you are unable to run 1Password 4, then please let me know, I'd be happy to add a 1Password 3 license to your account for you. :)

• Poss25
    Poss25
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply Megan. Yes, installing 1Password 4 has fixed the problem. Cheers.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Poss25,

Thanks so much for letting me know that you're all sorted out! I hope things go smoothly for you now, but we're here if you need anything further :)

• maragines
    maragines
    Community Member
    edited January 2014

Hi, I'm a new 1Password user and I have two different Mac.
    One MacBook Pro with 10.8.5 and one iMac that's running 10.6.4. No way for my iMac to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Lion or ML.
    I've buy 1Password for my MacBook Pro but I find also the old version 3.8 which is perfect for my iMac.

But how can license 1Password in my old iMac?

I've the same problem that Poss25 describe in this thread.

It is possible? There's a way?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @maragines,

I've found your account in our back office records based on the email address attached to your forum account, and I've added a 1Password 3 license for you. You should see the license information in an email shortly.

Just go to File > License in 1Password 3 and insert the license key.

Please let me know if you run into any snags :)

• maragines
    maragines
    Community Member

Thanks, I've just received.

It works perfectly. No snags :)>-

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @maragines,

I'm so glad to hear that things are working well for you! If you have any further questions, we're here to help.

• propellermedia
    propellermedia
    Community Member

Hi, I am running 1Password v3.8.21. I can't upgrade to 4 as my OS won't support it. I bought a licence today and have been sent the file but I get the same error message as the user above 'this is not a 1Password for Mac license'. From this thread it appears if I am using v3.8.21 I need a key not a licence ...??? Can you please help? thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @propellermedia,

I do apologize for the difficulty here. 1Password 4 and 1Password 3 do use different types of licenses, and when we released 1Password 4, we removed 1Password 3 from sale to avoid confusing customers. However, we'd be happy to add a version 3 license to your account. Please send your licensing information in to our team at support@ agilebits .com and we'll hook you up! :)

• Alexander Huhle
    Alexander Huhle
    Community Member

Since my mac is running with Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 I had to download 1Password-3.8.21. Now I can't install the license file ( seems like the same problem all the others have on this site :) ), do I get a different license type from you guys? Thanks

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Alexander,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting 1Password 3 set up here. As I mentioned above, the license is different between version 3 and 4, so please email in to our team at support@ agilebits .com and we'll gladly send you a licence key for 1Password 3. :)

• rns900
    rns900
    Community Member

I have this same issue. I'm running osx 10.7. I have emailed support, twice now. Can I get my license please?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ms900,

I've found your email address in our system and I'm responding to you directly. Please check your inbox! :)

• marlin_spike
    marlin_spike
    Community Member

Hi Megan,
    I've purchased V4.3.2 for iPad. V3 is installed on my Mac and I'm trying to upgrade. I was under the impression that V4 for iPad = same as V4 to use w/laptop (i.e. same license) but it looks as though I need to purchase V4 again for use w/my Mac? I'm confused, I thought the whole thing about V4 was to avoid this?
    thanks!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marlin_spike‌

I apologize for the confusion here. 1Password is a separate purchase per platform. 1Password 4 for iOS is a universal app that will work on all your iOS devices (both iPhone and iPad) capable of running iOS6+, but 1Password 4 for Mac is a separate purchase. Luckily though, all of our products are on sale this week, so if you did want to upgrade your Mac version, simply enter your current license information on our upgrade page to get a great discount. :)

If you would prefer not to upgrade your Mac license, 1Password 4 for iOS can sync with 1Password 3 for Mac via Dropbox. I'd be happy to help you set this up if you'd like. :)

• marlin_spike
    marlin_spike
    Community Member

Ok, thanks Megan. If I buy the family license for Mac that will not include IOS, right?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marlin_spike‌

Unfortunately, Apple doesn't provide a way for us to easily bundle the Mac and iOS app together, so you will need to purchase the iOS app separately.

• marlin_spike
    marlin_spike
    Community Member

Ok, makes sense. I love 1Password, but the distinctions between IOS and PC versions are not abundantly clear on the website. Thanks for your help!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @marlin_spike‌

Thanks so much for the feedback - i do apologize for the confusion. We're working on updating our website, I'll be sure to pass your thoughts along to our website gurus.

• jimstipe
    jimstipe
    Community Member

I have the same problem as some of the others above: I bought 1Password 4 and then found out that it won't run on my Mac (still running OSX 10.7.5). I downloaded 1Password 3.8.21, but can't get my license key. I have emailed both support@agilebits.com and suppot+sales@agilebits.com, but I haven't gotten a response. How can I get a license key for 1Password 3? Thanks for your help.

• Jasper
    edited April 2014

Hi @jimstipe,

If you've already sent us an email, we'll respond with a version 3 license key as soon as we can.

I wasn't able to find any emails from the address on your forum account, but if you send me a private message and let me know what address you used, I can lookup your ticket and maybe speed it up. :)

This discussion has been closed.